Marco
Marco, IT Consultant
Experience:  10+ years of experience as an IT Consultant.

In transferring a file like an mp3 song from one Skype account

In transferring a file like an mp3 song from one Skype account to another, does the sending party have to be online all the way till the end of the file transfer?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Marco replied 1 year ago.

businesslegions :

Hi there,

businesslegions :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be assisting you with this issue.

businesslegions :

The other party does need to click on save and stay online until the file transfer is completed

businesslegions :

There are other free tools that allows you to send file. As an example you can use wetransfer.com to send a file and both parties do not have to be online at the same time.

businesslegions :

hi

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX in the use of Skype, I can assume that whatever file I want to transfer would first be saved in a server of Skype, so I or my computer would not necessarily have to be kept online, since the receiving party's exchange of the file would solely be going on between the receiver's node (in this case, my wife's iPod and the Skype file transfer server. Is this generally how it works?

businesslegions :

No unfortunately when you send a file from one user to another, skype doesn't store it on their servers

businesslegions :

so both parties need to be online

businesslegions :

the file transfer doesn't being until the recipient click on save a

businesslegions :

and if one party is disconnected from the internet, the file transfer ends

businesslegions :

is that clearer?

Customer:

Got it. Now I understand where the limitations are. I'll probably have to look at wettransfer.com Does that work with Skype?

businesslegions :

wetransfer.com is seperate from Skype

businesslegions :

they are different systems

businesslegions :

with wetransfer.com you email your wife with a link so she can download

Customer:

Understood. Now I have an even better view of what was foggy. My wife does have her e-mail with Yahoo Japan. Any suggestions along those lines?

businesslegions :

that's fine

businesslegions :

she will just get a link to click on and she will be able to download the mp3 song

Customer:

Are we talking about using e-mail to send her the link to wettransfer.com?

businesslegions :

no i mean when you use wetransfer.com (note only 1 t)

businesslegions :

you have to specify her email as the recipient

businesslegions :

and she will get the message to download the mp3 song

Customer:

Cool! I assume getting into wetransfer.com will be more or less "follow the bouncing ball" instructions-wise. Thank you for your time. I will rate you as Excellent. Have a great day or eveining wherever you are. Thanks!!

businesslegions :

thanks. Using wetransfer is very easy

Customer:

I trust you. God Bless and good night!

Marco, IT Consultant
Experience: 10+ years of experience as an IT Consultant.