rhess
rhess, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  I have 10 years experience as a network and computer professional.
64975016

Hi I need help with an Excel Spreadsheet. I have four columns

Hi I need help with an Excel Spreadsheet. I have four columns 1) ID 2) ph# XXXXX) fax# XXXXX 4)email. I need to be able to find duplicate rows where the phone number is XXXXX same and the fax cell is blank and email is blank and or where the phone number is XXXXX same , fax number is XXXXX same and there is no email. Can someone please help me to be able to identify these? Thank you p.s. I can't filter on blanks there are unique phone number with no fax number or emails can delete the unique phone number just need to delete the dups. Need an answer soon. Thank you.

rhess :

Would you be able to send me the spreadsheet? You can upload it using www.wikisend.com

rhess :

I'm pretty sure I can help out with this

Customer:

This is confidential data - okay if I just make up a quick demo?

rhess :

of course.....as long as you can give me an appropriate example and the result you expect, i can tell you how to get there

rhess :

i have a few ideas, i just want to see it first......just give me enough data to work with.....like 10 rows.....once i test it out, i'll send instructions

Customer:

ok thanks it will be a bit. Do I stay on chat or where to I up load?

rhess :

jump over to http://www.wikisend.com to upload the document, and then paste the download link here please

rhess :

Here's the thing with using the "find duplicates" feature.....it will find all duplicates on a spreadsheet, even if you have it filtered

rhess :

so I would start with filtering the data set......then cutting and pasting the filtered results to a new sheet and running the find dups on that data set.....then you can cut and paste back into the regular spreadsheet

rhess :

i know you said you can't filter, but i'm not totally understanding why

Customer:

ok I am going to send the small demo is created.

Attachment: 2013-05-09_042630_book1050813.xlsx

Full Size Image

Customer:

please let me know if you received. thank you.

rhess :

got it

rhess :

give me a few minutes to come up with some steps for this

Customer:

thank you.

rhess :

when the phone number is XXXXX same, will the fax always be the same number?

rhess :

in other words, if i have a single phone number showing up 3 times, will there EVER be 2 different fax numbers or emails in other rows w/ the same phone #?

Customer:

no sorry if I did not give that example there can be instances where the phone number maybe the same and fax could be different in that case I need to keep even if the email field is filled or not.

rhess :

got it

rhess :

will there be situations where there is a duplicate phone number and each entry has an email entry, or should i expect only 1 row of duplicate data to ever contain an email?

Customer:

no your right there will be instances where there is a duplicate ph number and each row has a unique email.

rhess :

and we want to keep those?

Customer:

yes please any thing that is unique we need to keep and dups we need to delete.

rhess :

cool

rhess :

ok, here's what i would do.......sort the data set first by phone, then by fax, then by email

rhess :

sort by PH, then by FX, then by email

rhess :

then, in cell E2 (assuming the data starts in the 2nd row like in the example), enter the following formula: =IF(OR(AND(B2=B1=C2=C1=D2=D1),AND(B2=B1,C2=C1,D2=""),AND(B2=B1,D2=D1,C2=""),AND(C2=C1,D2=D1,B2="")),"DELETE","")

rhess :

copy that formula down the entire column, and anything where your conditions are met will say "DELETE" in them. Use a filter to find the deletes and remove them

rhess :

hang on 1 second, gotta tweak the formula

rhess :

=IF(OR(AND(B2=B1,C2=C1,D2=D1),AND(B2=B1,C2=C1,D2=""),AND(B2=B1,D2=D1,C2=""),AND(C2=C1,D2=D1,B2="")),"DELETE","")

Customer:

ok will you be able to send back the demo?

rhess :

yes, sending now

rhess :

http://wikisend.com/download/381778/2013-05-09_042630_book1050813.xlsx

rhess :

do a quick test with that and let me know if there's any weird data that i didn't account for, and i can tweak as necessary

Customer:

ok this demo seems to work. Will that work for 1000s of rows?

rhess :

as long as they are sorted as specified, this should work perfectly

Customer:

I have over 80,000 + rows of data.

rhess :

shouldn't be a problem......when i have to work with that large amount of data, i always pull out a representative sample.......say 500 rows, apply the formula, and make sure

rhess :

once you delete the rows specified, remove the filter and re-check the data for new deletes

rhess :

so.....follow the steps i've outlined.......delete the flagged rows, then remove the filter, re-enter the formula and run the check again

rhess :

you might have to do it several times to get to the point where all rows that need deleted are gone

rhess :

that would happen if you had data that looked like this:

rhess :

112345678991239637418[email protected]
212345678991239637418
1234567899[email protected]
31234567899[email protected]
rhess :

112345678991239637418[email protected]
212345678991239637418
111234567899[email protected]
31234567899[email protected]
rhess :

in the first run it would tell you to delete ID # XXXXX in the 2nd run it would tell you to delete ID#11

Customer:

Okay great. Thank you very much I appreciate you time and patience.

rhess :

no problem. no reason this shouldn't work perfectly. let me know if you run into any problems