Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  25 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt

I could use Olympus Dss Player Pro v. 4.9 (or update 4.10)

I could use Olympus Dss Player Pro v. 4.9 (or update 4.10) yesterday under Windows 7. Today, having installed a lot of Windows updates, when I click to start it there is a little blue vortex on the screen for about 5 seconds and then it disappears and nothing further happens. Task Manager shows no reference to Dss Player pro Dictation module running.
What could have happened to cause this and how can I launch the program successfully please?
Hello. My name isXXXXX will be your Primary Care Technician and I can assist you with your question. If you were already running it successfully under Windows 7 Natively, then that should not change. Were you running it directly under Windows 7 previously, or Wes you always using the xp mode?

If it was working previously under Windows 7, it may be a simple matter of doing a system restore back to before the updates if you have a restore point available. Another possibility is running the program as administrator temporarily to let it make configuration updates, if that's what it is trying to do. The only way to find that out is to try... Right click in the app and select run as administrator and see if it will full start up.

I'm any case, let me know the result and we can continue from there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your advice. Running the Olympus program as an administrator did not help.

Returning to a Restore point enabled me to use the program; but leaves a lot of programs and updates to reinstall. I suppose if there had been a conflict with one of these it will reveal itself.

All the best,

Yes, Bill, when doing the system restore, it restores it to that point in time and if it was prior to updates being installed, they will no longer be installed. Of course, it is by necessity, and it is why the restore works. However, it should only leave those things missing that were installed since the restore point - if you are only going back one day, it should only remove things that were installed in tha past day or two.

Your logic is sound. If you can simply be aware of what gets installed and when, and check the software after each, you'll know for sure what caused the problem. If you suspect automatic updates, you can simply temporarily make them manual and select them individually to install.

If you need any other assistance, let me know.