Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.
46034742

Hi, my Acer Aspire X1301 Will not boot up. I get a black screen

Hi, my Acer Aspire X1301 Will not boot up. I get a black screen with a blink cursor.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using justanswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.Smile I am very sorry this complication has happened to you. Cry Can you tell me if you have any external devices like a mouse or keyboard or anything USB related currently connected to this machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have disconnected everything except the wireless mouse and keyboard.

Ok, this is going to sound strange but, disconnected the mouse and keyboard. Then hold the power button till the computer turns off then while keeping the mouse and keyboard disconnected power the computer on and tell me if it tries to boot up.

Please do not leave any feedback until this session is completed thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It tries to boot but now I have a message displaying. "AMD data Change...Update New Data to DMI"

OK shut down the machine reconnect the keyboard and mouse and then turn it back on and tell me if you still get that same message if you do let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I get the same message.

Ok I think it's F2 or F1 to get into bios. Look in the BIOS for a setting called update ESCD and disable it. If you can't locate it try restoring the bios to default. Now if it does give you the option to boot at all normally you may do that as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I looked through every option in BIOS and ESCD is not listed. I don't see an option to restore the bios to default.

When the machine was running did you notice any changes or anything like that? Speed lagging anything out of the ordinary.
Also have there been any additional add in cards or upgrades to that machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

None I have done but windows automatically does an update. That's what happened this time. I left it on overnight and it had restarted but never to the windows screen.

I see, ok try this Restart the machine and push alt and F10 at the same time When you see the Acer screen come up and tell me if that does anything at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The only thing that comes up is the AMD Data Change message.

Ok Acer never comes up at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Acer screen comes up but when I do alt and F10 at the same I get the AMD message. Make sure we are talking about the same screen, it's the one that goes by really quick and says in the bottom left F12 for setup.

That is correct. Ok this time Try pushing F2 and tell me if it does anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Same AMD message I am pushing F2 continuously.

Ok I was hoping this was a simple error produced by a settings and it doesn't look like this is the case. This means the hard drive may be having a problem which is what caused the blinking cursor in the first place. I want to check and see if there is a response. Try pushing F10 then F11 then Try F12 tell me if anything happens and if you get any kind of boot options.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

F12 I get the Boot menu

OK good that's intact. Ok looks like the problem has been caused by windows update. This is what you are going to need. You are going to need the original recovery software from Acer. Since the built in recovery is failing. First you will want to contact acer at 1-866-695-2237. Let them know what happened they may have a special way of activating the recovery partition. They will be able to also tell you exactly if the hard drive has malfunctioned also. If it has it would need to be replaced if not you may just need the recovery software sent to you. Contact them to be %100 sure but either way windows will need to be ran through a repair.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will contact Acer. Thanks.

You are welcome and thank you Sandy.Smile
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience: 2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.