Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

I was using computer and all of a sudden it stoped and I cant

I was using computer and all of a sudden it stoped and I can't get it to shut off. what can i do
Category: Computer
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble.

From what it sounds like the computer is locked up.

What I would like you to do is press and hold the power button for 10 or 15 seconds. Do not let the button go until it shuts off.

Please try that and let me know if it does not shut off.

Thank you,
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no it did not go off. What causes it ito lock up?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
It could be a few different things. Do you know what the make and model of computer is?

Is it a laptop or a desktop?

When you pressed the power button you held it in for 15 seconds right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I held it. It is toshiba satellite A210/A215 series. i keep getting adds for some kind of membership in stead of you i have to keep looking for your answers

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Ok so right now you are on a different computer correct?

The toshiba is not responding at all? What is on the screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I am on my pc. I just have a light on the face

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
OK you mean on the screen there is light but no picture of anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes that is what I mean

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Ok please do the following.

If you have the power adapter plugged into the adapter unplug it.

Next I would like you to remove the battery from the laptop.

To remove the battery turn the laptop over , slide teh battery release lock to the unlock position.

Slide the battery release latch to release the battery.

Pull the discharged battery out of the computer.

here is an image to show you if you can't find teh latches
graphic

Once you have the battery and adapter removed press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.

Next plug the adapter back in but leave the battery out and press and hold the power button to power up the computer.

If it starts normally you can reinsert the battery for charging and it should be all set.

If it does not come on let me know what happens.

Thank you,
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It did come back on. I have it in safe mode now.

is this charge going to get me in this service that keeps popping up or is that another charge.

Do you work on other computers or just toshibas

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Yes I work on all sorts of computers and not just toshiba and any type of computer problem. This should be just a one time charge unless you choose to subscribe.

But if you have any billing issues you can contact customer service and they will help you and make sure you are only charged once. You can reach them at 1.888.862.9212 if you have billing issues.

Now that the computer is booted you can restart in regular mode. If it gives you some options just choose start windows normally and you should be ok.

Sometime a computer can get overloaded trying to do too many things at once and that can cause a lock up. It is always a good idea to restart the computer everyonce in awhile to prevent this.

If you need further help please do not hesitate to reply back and let me know.

Thank You
-Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Chris I wanted to know will this #48.00 will give me 5 more questions or would that be extra?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

It would be extra unless you signed up for the free trial subscription. If you got the trial I believe they let you ask more questions.

Just so you know how the site works, I am not an employee of this website so I have nothing to do with the billing. This website just connects professional such as computer experts, doctors, lawyers, vets, with users like you. All of us professionals have to have our credentials verified in order to answer.

None of the billing information shows up on our end so I cannot provide too much help in that regard.

After you rate my service to finish this question send a message to customer service here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/chat-customer-support before asking more questions and they will let you know exactly what the charges would be.

Thank you,
Chris

Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.