Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.

Computer reboots randomly.

Computer reboots randomly.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

Are you using a laptop, or a desktop PC? Also, do you hear a loud whirring sound before the computer restarts, by any chance?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I apologize for the lack of detail.

This is a laptop.

I have not witnessed it restarting. You are suspecting temperature issues?

Not a problem; computer overheating is usually the cause of these issues, i.e. restarting, switching off intermittently, etc. Please feel around the air vents at the side and back of your laptop - does it feel hotter than normal? Do let me know; thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It does not feel warm, actually.

I am running a hardware diagnostic. Hopefully this will test the fans.

Okay; now, I would like you to download a free utility, SpeedFan, using the following link: (Click on the green 'Download latest version' button to the right of the page)

Run and install the utility, then open it up. Let me know what the 'Ambient' and 'Temp1' stats show up for your computer, please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

...It's the hard drive.

Thanks for your assistance.

I will rate your answer favorably, based on your overheating idea. It was a very logical thing to test for, and I was hopeful that this was the answer. Unfortunately, it is now very obvious what the issue was, based off of the horrible noises coming from the hard drive.

Ouch, that's frustrating; if it had just been malfunctioning fan, a can of compressed air should have helped clean out the air vents. Unfortunately yes, a loudly spinning hard drive is a sound indicator of drive failure, and so I would suggest you to back up your data onto an external drive immediately before the drive goes dead.

If there's any other issue you would like me to assist you with, please do let me know. Thank you!