B. Rath
B. Rath, IT Professional
Experience:  Certified support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.

windows 7, network system icon is set to off, and the drop

windows 7, network system icon is set to off, and the drop down box is black in color...I cannot connect to the internet
Category: Computer
Expert:  B. Rath replied 1 year ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

Could you provide further specifics about the black drop-down box you are seeing, please? Where do you see it? Also, are you able to see the list of available wireless networks?

Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Notification Area Icons>System Icons

System Icons > Behaviors

Network drop down box is blacked out, and I cannot turn it on

Expert:  B. Rath replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Now, please press Ctrl + Alt + Del in order to bring up the Task Manager, then click on the 'Processes' tab. Look for and select the "explorer.exe" process, and then click 'End Task'. Done that, you will see that the taskbar will disappear.

Now, go to Start > New Task (Run...), type in explorer.exe, and press ENTER.

The taskbar will come back; does the network icon show up now?

Do keep me posted. Thanks!

Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No...the entire screen went black

Expert:  B. Rath replied 1 year ago.

Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my screen is black,...nothing but mouse trail

Expert:  B. Rath replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but did you run the explorer.exe command as well, as directed?

Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, after I ended the explorer.exe the screen went black...I cannot see the start button, taskbar or anything else

Expert:  B. Rath replied 1 year ago.
Please look at the Task Manager now (if you closed it, press Ctrl + Alt + Del). Do you see the File > New Task (Run...) option at the top?

Regards
Expert:  B. Rath replied 1 year ago.
Oops, I see your confusion here; I had mistyped my earlier directions to go to Start > New Task (Run...); it should have been to go to File > New Task (Run...) from the Task Manager itself. Please do that now, and let me know. Thanks!

Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I have reopened Task Manager

Expert:  B. Rath replied 1 year ago.
Okay; please go to File > New Task (Run...) from the Task Manager, then type in explorer.exe and press ENTER. This will bring back your normal desktop screen - please check if your network icon shows up now. Keep me posted; thanks!

Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no network icon

Expert:  B. Rath replied 1 year ago.
Hmm. Now, when did you first start having this issue with the missing network icon?

Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Two days ago. Network system icon is still blacked out, all other icons are on (CLOCK, VOLUME,POWER,ACTION CENTER)

I cannot restore default icon behaviors, and also the audio service has stopped working, and all times I ask the TROUBLESHOOTING to find and fix it is also not working

Expert:  B. Rath replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, I see; it seems to be a bigger issue than just the missing network icon.

Now, please restart your computer, then tap down the F8 key repeatedly at bootup until the Advanced Options screen comes up. Select "Repair your computer" from the list of options, then follow the on-screen directions until you get to the list of Recovery Options.

Select 'System Restore' from the list. In the System Restore window, select 'Choose a different restore point', then click Next. TICK the "Show more restore points" checkbox, then select a Restore Point dated BEFORE you started having this issue (the earlier the date, the better.) Click Next > Finish.

The restore operation will now proceed, after which your computer will automatically restart. This should roll back all of the issues you are currently having.

Do keep me posted. Thanks.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I will try this.

Keep in mind I already knew about this function, but I was hoping for an answer that didn't involve a system restore.

Thank you

Expert:  B. Rath replied 1 year ago.
I see; could you let me know your reason for not wanting to carry out a system restore? If possible, I'll look any alternative solutions to try and resolve the issue for you. This should have been a fairly simple fix, were it not for the other issues, i.e. with the sound service, that you were having - that's why I think that carrying out a system restore is the safest bet at this point.

PS - I directed you to carry out the restore at bootup itself, instead of in your normal Windows, since it often doesn't successfully complete due to conflicting programs, i.e. your security program.

Do keep me posted. Thank you.

Regards
B. Rath, IT Professional
Experience: Certified support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.