Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.
46034742

My 3.0 does not appear on my computer. The computer keeps saying

My 3.0 does not appear on my computer. The computer keeps saying that there is an unknown device on it, I have Vista and I am old. What am I doing wrong. I have installed it and it says that the installation was successful, but the computer keeps say that there is an unknown device there. The computer doesn't like me.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using justanswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.Smile I am very sorry you are having these kinds of complications. Cry Can you please tell me exactly what device is malfunctioning and what you mean by your 3.0? Also when did this problem first start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The device is the WD SmartWare 3.0

OK, I see so this is an external hard drive that is giving you these complication. Just to verify have you been able to, or are you able to connect this to another machine and it work without the same problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just got it and just hooked it up to my computer which has Vista on it. This is the only connection that I have made.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This little laptop is the only machine that I have. I figure that it I probably did something wrong. I just wish my grandson lived closer.

Oh I see, ok thank you. Would you mind if I started a remote assistance session so I can have a look to see what is causing this from here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Greeat

Click on this link: That way I can connect to you temporarily. http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=967db78d-6923-408c-a1d9-1180322b6788&SUPPORT=JAVAW

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My machine won't let my use the remote application.,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just can't get the computer to agree to your help in a remote manner. Should we just forget it. I don't want a monthly contract. I just don't have the income.

It's not going to start a monthly contract it's just fort his one question. However that link when you click agree it allows me to connect one time. Also if a popup comes up you need to allow it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, I did check the remote agreement but the response was that it said that the application couldn't start and to contact the vendor. I have done the remote thing in the past and it went fine.

That tells me something right there. It means there is an actual problem with windows vista which is not uncommon for that version of windows. It's also related to the malfunction you are experiencing so the external hard drive is not malfunctioning. If I instruct you, would you be willing to set your computer back to an earlier date and time if instructed. None of your important data would be damaged or removed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am a good sheep. I will follow your instructions as best I can. Let's do it.

Go to this link and follow the instructions: Remember take it back to the earliest time you can. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-back-time-on-your-PC-Undo-system-changes-with-System-Restore

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I saw that something had been check to thwart any remote assistance. I fixed that so maybe you can activate it now.

Ok first have you tried the instructions to set the machine back yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is working now. I put the date back to April 3, 2013.

Ok what about the external hard drive is it doing the same thing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't even know how to check at this point. Let's try the remote one more time, please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am just so frustrated. I don't know what to do next. The remote just won't work. The date is set back. How do I find out if the external drive is working? When I go to it's home page, it really doesn't work properly. Should I just delete it and reinstall it?

I can understand that. Sound like windows vista is severely malfunctioning if you are having the same problem. Ok Do this disconnect the external hard drive and try plugging it into a different USB connection and tell me what happens then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The same answer came up saying the same thing One of the USB devices which is external has "malfunctioned" It says that Windows doesn't reconize it. It says to replace it. Could the actual device be bad?

That's why I was hoping you could test this on a different machine. There is the possibility the device is bad yes. However if you do exchange it and have the exact same problem you would need to have windows reinstalled. Again if you do exchange it and it does the exact same thing then yes windows has malfunctioned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Gotcha. I think that I will take the whole mess to the local tech and have him try the new device in one of his machines. Maybe, I just need a new computer but I don't want to lose all the info on this one. He can help me with it.

You have been an etreme help to me. I thank you very much.

You are welcome and let me know if you do have any other questions. If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Please click on the smiley face if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time assisting you. Clicking the smiley face does not add additional costs and only by you choosing the smiley face am I compensated. Please don't leave negative feedback, If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it! Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated!
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience: 2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.