Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry

My computer froze and I got a blue screen. I re-started in

My computer froze and I got a blue screen. I re-started in safe mode. The only new thing installed recently was dongle driver software, installed yesterday. I went to uninstall it and got the following error message:

The windows installer is not installed. Contact your support personnel.

So, that's not good. How is my windows installer "not installed"?

Then I went to system restore--only to find that my computer doesn't have a restore point. I thought the security center set restore points automatically? So then I went to the Action find that my Security Center Service is turned off. I never turned it off. Oh, and when I click the button to turn it on, I get an error message saying "it can't be started."

Great. And, I don't even know if the dongle software is even the problem.
Thanks for your Question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

I want to attempt a restore from a different way.

Turn off the computer

Turn it on and keep Tapping F8 until you see a menu

Choose Advanced Boot Options.

Then choose Last Known Good Configuration.

this will run a restore.

When it completes, check and let me know if you still have the problem please.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I let you know? I'd like to give you a good rating...but only if it works.

You can return to this web page Marian.

Or check your emails for a link in an email from us.

Let me know how it goes please

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I uninstalled the program with no issues, and no BSOD so far. And my Security Center appears to be working normally.

Before I let you go: can you tell me what the underlying cause was? Why, in safe mode, was I getting an error message that said, "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel." ? Why was my Security Center turned off, and why, when I clicked "turn it on" did it not work? Thanks.

It was a corruption within windows system files Marian, it can occur.

This causes services and applications to fail.

Windows has a lot of bugs, and especially when installing an application or device, these can occur.

I suggest to avoid this best you do the below instructions routinely (once every two weeks) which will best avoid issues occurring within windows.

Download CC Cleaner (free) from here

CC Cleaner

(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)

Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.

Once done, restart the computer

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /f

Press enter.

It will complain the Volume is in use and to run on restart. Say YES and restart the computer

This keeps it all running 100%

If you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you