Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Engineer and Support Professional
8287049

I cannot open a quark 8 error message Out of memory.[-108

I cannot open a quark 8 error message
Out of memory.[-108]
Category: Computer
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.

Techie_Ben :

Hello, thank you for the question.

Techie_Ben :

Do you happen to know how much RAM you have on your PC?

Customer:

No I dont

Techie_Ben :

Ok, here is how you can check.

Techie_Ben :

Click on Start -> Control Panel -> System

Techie_Ben :

On the bottom right corner of the screen there should be a summary of the version of Windows, along with information about your processor (CPU) and how much memory (RAM) you have.

Customer:

3.21 GB ram

Techie_Ben :

Ok, that's plenty to run Quark 8. Do you get this error every time you start it up or only sometimes?

Techie_Ben :

The problem could be that other applications are consuming too much memory on the system for Quark to start.

Techie_Ben :

We can check that too

Customer:

Just for this particular job that I did. It was a Quark newsletter with a Corel clip art file that I imported

Techie_Ben :

So you get the memory error only when opening a certain project?

Customer:

Yes that's correct it says Out of memory. [-108]

Techie_Ben :

Ok, this can happen on rare instances. You can use a tool to recovery the project.

Techie_Ben :

I will give you a link to the tool, just give me one minute please.

Customer:

What tool!

Customer:

Ok thanks

Techie_Ben :

I'm sorry, I was looking for other tools. The only one I know of that will recover the file is quite expensive ($199). It's called MarkzTools Recovery.

Customer:

That's ok we cannot afford that I work at a non-profit. Public Library

Techie_Ben :

You can try increasing the memory Quark 8 uses though

Techie_Ben :

want to try it?

Customer:

Yes please

Techie_Ben :

Ok one moment please.

Techie_Ben :

Ok, it looks like Quark 8 already uses the available memory it can (there is no limit set in this version). One last thing you can try is checking what memory other applications are using.

Techie_Ben :

Can you open Task Manager? To do this just go to Start -> Run, and type taskmgr

Customer:

Not sure how I can

Techie_Ben :

Once you go to Start -> Run -> Taskmgr, it should open

Techie_Ben :

once it's open, you should see a tab called "Mem Usage". Just click that tab to sort from high to low

Customer:

not seeing Mem Usage

Techie_Ben :

Do you see Image Name?

Techie_Ben :

in the "Processes" tab

Techie_Ben :

Sorry, I left that out. Once in Task Manager, go to the Processes tab

Customer:

in processes i see a list Quark is on the list

Techie_Ben :

Do you see the "Mem Usage" column across the top?

Customer:

yes

Techie_Ben :

If you click on it, it should sort your processes that are using the most memory from high to low

Customer:

Quark is no 5 on the list 23, 160K

Techie_Ben :

what are the top ones using?

Customer:

firefox, avp, explorer, svchost, then quark

Techie_Ben :

how much memory are they using?

Customer:

firefox 174,448k, avp 88,400k, explorer 36, 068k, svchost 35, 724k, quark 23, 160k

Techie_Ben :

Ok, that's not too bad either. Can you keep task manager open while opening the project in Quark to see how much memory it's trying to use?

Techie_Ben :

If it's not using a lot of memory while opening, the problem is not really memory related but a corrupt file that needs to be repaired.

Customer:

yes i can

Techie_Ben :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know how large the memory # XXXXX Quark gets while opening

Customer:

28, 016 the file is opening but with an error message Out of memory. [-108]

Techie_Ben :

And the memory didn't actually change..so it seems like a corrupt file.

Techie_Ben :

Do you have a Quark customer number?

Customer:

the memory changed to 5, 912k

Techie_Ben :

so lower than it was even before

Customer:

Yes lower! Quark customer service is closed til Monday. I have to get the job to the printer by Monday.
Its our newsletter

Techie_Ben :

Interesting. So the problem is definitely a corrupt file and not memory related. The only solution I can propose is the tool I mentioned earlier that will fix the problem.

Customer:

Ok ill talk to my supervisor. Thanks for your help. This will cost $38. correct?

Techie_Ben :

You are only charged if satisfied with the service given by rating "OK Service" or higher.

Customer:

The service was ok. Thank you. That's 38. correct?

Techie_Ben :

Correct

Customer:

Thanks and have a great day

Techie_Ben :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX you!

Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience: Software Engineer and Support Professional