pctech
pctech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  20+ Years exp. CompTIA A+, Lenovo and Dell Certified.

When trying to re format it keeps saying that windows was unable

When trying to re format it keeps saying that windows was unable to complete format.

My 2 options are NFTS & exfat. I need the extrnal hard drive to read both windows and mac.
Thanks. Liz
Category: Computer
Expert:  pctech replied 1 year ago.

pctech :

Hello, and welcome to justanswer/pearl, a pay site for expert technical help. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

pctech :

Please tell me what is the brand and model of external drive?

Customer:

the unit is a western digital

pctech :

ok, hold on a minute. I think there is a tool that will work with that drive. Which model do you have and the size?

Customer:

1 TB My Book

pctech :

is it a Passport drive or a Essential?

Customer:

Windows is saying that the EDD is no longer located in Computer. Verify the systems location and try again. I keep opening the computer listing of all EDD &/ HDD and it keeps saying the same thing.

pctech :

Nevermind my last question, I see it is a My Book, is it an Elite, or just a My Book?

Customer:

a My Book that will work (should work) on both PC and MAC

pctech :

Yes you are correct it will. However traditionally it would be formatted as fat32 and be limited to 4gb. But now there is a NTFS-3G, which allows the full size of the drive. Give me a minute to find the info you need. Okay?

Customer:

Okay and thanks

pctech :

Are you familiar with the NTFS-3G?

Customer:

Not really

Customer:

Am prepared to give it a try though

pctech :

ok, hold on while I gather a good instruction sheet for you.

Customer:

ok

pctech :

I need to know, how good are you with a mac?

pctech :

Using ntfs-3g is very techy so to speak.

Customer:

I own a PC

Customer:

techy doesn't worry me to much

pctech :

Aren't you trying to get this drive to be read on both a pc and a mac though?

Customer:

Yes I need it for work

pctech :

ok, then give me a few more minutes. I think you will need to install something on the mac, but let me verify this too.

Customer:

The unit was working fine until about 6 hours ago

pctech :

Is there data on the drive that you need to save?

Customer:

None at the moment. I just completed tranferring the files when this happened.

pctech :

So first we need to make sure we can do a complete format of the drive from the PC. Using NTFS. So when you try that you are getting the error that it is unable to do this correct?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

and is now not even recognisig the EHD

pctech :

OK, I want you to try to do a test using this software I will paste in my next message

Customer:

OK

pctech :

just a sec

pctech :

Here you go, this is a WD tool, that should work. Download and install it. Then run it.
http://download.wdc.com/misc/WD_Quick_Formatter_Win_1_2_0_10.zip

pctech :

IMPORTANT
Important:

1. The WD Quick Formatter is ONLY for external drives. Once the WD Quick Formatter is finished reformatting the drive, the drive will only have one partition. This is necessary in order to optimize the performance of the drive.

2. The WD Quick Formatter is the recommended way to format WD external drives that use Advanced Format Drives (AFDs).

3. The instructions in the articles below are designed to help you reformat and repartition your drive. This process is Data Destructive and cannot be undone. Once the process begins, ALL THE DATA ON THE DRIVE WILL BE LOST!

pctech :

To reformat your drive to the NTFS (Windows) or HFS+ (Mac) file format, please follow the instructions below:

1. Download, install, and run the WD Quick Formatter for Windows if you are on Windows, or WD Quick Formatter for Mac if you are on Mac OSX 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8 (Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion).

1. The warning message below will appear. Click Continue to format.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT]Image[/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

1. Click on Accept to accept the End User License Agreement.

1. Depending on the size of the drive and your Operating System (OS) , one of two screens will appear. If you are using Mac OSX follow the instructions under the first choice below. If you are using Windows, follow the instructions based on your drive size:

• If your drive is 2TB or less, select the USB drive to format and click on Format Drive to start formatting your drive.

• If you are using Windows and your drive is greater than 2TB, decide if you ever plan to use the drive with a computer running Windows XP. If you might use the drive with XP, select XP Compatible. If you never plan to use the drive with XP selectFactory Default. Once you have made a selection, select your drive from the list and click the Format button.

NOTENote: If you receive an error stating that the drive cannot be unmounted this means that another application, service, or program is activly using the drive. You will need to determine what is interacting with the drive and close it prior to formatting your drive. Common programs that may be using the drive are automatic backup programs (such as WD SmartWare), anti-virus, file downloading applications (BitTorrent clients, FTP clients, etc.), and remote access applications.

STOPCritical: Do not disconnect power while the utility is running.

2. The WD Quick Formatter will show the progress bar while the format is taking place.

1. Once the Format is completed, click on the Format Another Drive button to select another USB drive or click on the Exit button to exit the program.

NOTENote: When WD Quick Formatter is finished, the drive will have one partition. This is necessary in order to optimize the performance of the drive.
pctech :

That did not work well, here is the link to what I tried to paste there for you.
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/3868

pctech :

Try this out and let me know when your drive is formatted. We can then proceed after that to get it to work on the mac side too.

Customer:

English language definitions not found in the registry. Invalid installation. Exiting WinZip.

Customer:

Do I perhaps need to remove EHD from the system and plug it back in again?

pctech :

I would perform a complete reboot. Unplug the WD drive, shutdown, reboot, after your in windows all the way then plug in the WD drive again.

Customer:

Okay will give this a go. I will be off line for the next 5 mins. How do I get back to talking with you?

pctech :

NP, also here is another copy of the WD Quick Formatter that I removed all the un-needed language files.

pctech :

I will be here when you get back

pctech :

If it does not work then try this one.
http://www.mediafire.com/?g2szh09p86z4q20

Customer:

see you soon

Customer:

Back

Customer:

I have left the EHD unplugged from the system

Customer:

I just tried downloading the mediafire program and same came up regarding English language definitions not found in the registry. Invalid installation. Exiting WinZip.

pctech :

That seems to be an error with winzip. Please download and re-install winzip and that should fix that issue.

Customer:

okay will do now

pctech :

keep me updated when you can

Customer:

Hi This looks like it is going to take forever Seems each time I do something in relation to the issue something else needs fixing.

Customer:

AS I don't wish to waste your time I will give you a decent score and if you aree around later I will contact you them for further information. Thanks. Liz

pctech :

Liz,

pctech :

I appreciate it, but I am here to make sure your satisfied. I will be around when you need. Go ahead and rate my service, then if you need more assistance just come back to this question and fire your questions at me. I will get an email and will reply right away. Thanks for your patience.

pctech :

Sometimes formatting can take some time. You mentioned fixing one thing and others arise that need fixing, care to tell me the issues? I might be able to assist further if you want.

pctech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 20+ Years exp. CompTIA A+, Lenovo and Dell Certified.
Expert:  pctech replied 1 year ago.
It was my greatest pleasure to assist you with your question today. If you ever need more help feel free to come back and ask for me, "pctech". Thank you again.
Sincerely,
Matt B.