pctech
pctech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  20+ Years exp. CompTIA A+, Lenovo and Dell Certified.

2 things: #1 I need to save an update & have an error "you

2 things:

#1 I need to save an update & have an error "you don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation"

#2 We have 3 calendars In Outlook on desktop and I want to access them all from smart phone. Microsoft exchange has been very difficult, only displays email... also tried an App but did not work either?
Category: Computer
Expert:  pctech replied 1 year ago.

pctech :

Hello

pctech :

I see that you are now offline. When you return just send me a message here and I will rejoin this chat session so that we can continue to work on your problem.
Thanks and I look forward to hearing back from you soon.
Sincerely,
Matt B.

pctech :

I need to know what version of exchange you are using and what version of outlook your using too please.
Then tell me what kind of phone you have and verify if you are asking how to sync your calendars or are you having a windows update error or are these both needing to be fixed?

Customer:

I have outlook 2010.. would it be microsoft office 365? thats who the emails come from

Customer:

One phone is Samsung Stratosphere II

Customer:

My husband has some kind of a droid and the main calendar is synched with google calendar so he can see it on his phone.

Customer:

Before we get into the Calendar stuff, (which completely overwhelms me) I need to fix my error first and download my needed update

pctech :

Ok, so are your emails housed on an MS Exchange server, or are you simply trying to sync your email and calendar with another email address such as a yahoo or msn address?

Customer:

Can you help me with the error first?

Customer:

The attached file contains the new IP address and MUST replace the old one on your pc.

All Online Ordering (Remote) Users will need to take the attached file and save it over the current file on their PC to be able to communicate in the new network. The pmos.pcf file is located in ProgramFiles(86)/SSS directory. When it say do you want to replace this file, MAKE SURE YOU SAY YES.

Customer:

When I do the above I get the error that I dont have appropriate permission to perform the operation

pctech :

Give me a minute to read this...

pctech :

Who did the email come from with the attachments?

Customer:

We are a franchise and it came from Corporate.. do you need company name?

pctech :

No, I do not.

pctech :

Did corporate supply you with your pc?

Customer:

no

pctech :

So you are using your own personal pc for this correct?

Customer:

correct

Customer:

I think I got it figured out! give me just a sec and then we can work on the calendar

pctech :

sounds good. I will hold on.

Customer:

I tried saving the file to the desk top and then tried to replace it in the folder. It says "you'll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this folder" So, I thought I was signed in as administrator.... how do I find where/who/ which user is administrator? Sorry, I am Totally not a techi!

pctech :

Not a problem, please tell me the name of the file, where it is at, and where it needs to be copied to and I will create a bat file for you to download and run and it will do this for you.

pctech :

I will be back in a few minutes. This will give you the time to get me the info needed.

Customer:

the name of the file that needs updated/ replaced is pmos

Customer:

it is in

Customer:

C: - Program Files (x86) - SSS

Customer:

Also, the new pmos file is on my Desktop

pctech :

ok, please create a folder on the c: drive called tcg. Then move the file from your desktop to that folder. Can you do that?

pctech :

Do you know the extension of the pmos file? Like pmos.bat or pmos.reg etc?

Customer:

The new attachment file is : pmos.pcf (927B)

Customer:

I have it in the file

Customer:

***Is there a way to make this chat beep at me when your respond? *** I am trying to gather you info for the calendar fiasco that we are going to work on next

pctech :

LOL, sorry but I am not sure there is a way to make it beep. however that is a great suggestion that I will forward on to our admins.

pctech :

Hold on a couple minutes while I create the file I was telling you about to do this for you.

pctech :

Please go to the c:\Program Files\

pctech :

Then look for the folder SSS

Customer:

i see it

pctech :

Okay, so it is like this c:\program files\sss\ correct?

Customer:

correct

pctech :

ok, almost done

pctech :

Uploading now

pctech :

Ok, please click the link below to download my bat file I created, then once it is downloaded, double click it and run it. It should copy that file with no issues.
Click Here

pctech :

let me know

Customer:

where did it down load it to? It opened an new page on Explorer

pctech :

ok, hold on, I will change the extension so it will download, sorry about that

pctech :

download it to your desktop

pctech :

then change the name from replacefile.zip to replacefile.bat

pctech :

then double click on it

Customer:

open or save?

pctech :

Save

pctech :

To your desktop

pctech :

did it download to your desktop?

Customer:

it downloaded to download file... I cut and pasted to desktop... is that OK?

pctech :

sure

pctech :

Good, now rename the file from replacefile.zip to replacefile.bat

pctech :

Let me know when that is done

Customer:

got it

pctech :

ok, dow double click the file, and it will ask if you want to run it, say Yes or Okay, or whatever it asks.

Customer:

bad news: Cannot open folder. the zipped folder c:\Users\office\Desktop\replacefile.bat.zip is invalid

pctech :

ah, did you rename it to replacefile.bat?

pctech :

take off the .zip and change it .bat

Customer:

The file is zipped... is that OK? no i need to unzip it?

pctech :

Would it be easier if I just make it a true zipped file that can be unzipped?

Customer:

??? let me rename it again

pctech :

Just in case I now have it as a true zip file here. Just unzip it to your desktop and it will create a file called replacefile.bat

pctech :

Sorry for all the confusion.

Customer:

OK, I downloaded, pushed save. It went directly to downloads folder. want me to unzip it?

pctech :

Yes please

Customer:

LOL.. how? I thought right click un zip, but does not show up there?

pctech :

Hmm, it should. So you see a file that is replacefile.zip in the downloads folder correct?

pctech :

I need to help my son for about 10-15 minutes putting some of his furniture in his truck. I will be back after that if not before... Is this okay with you?

Customer:

I went into properties and it is replacefile only. there is a zipper on the picture but no .zip. it does say type of file: compressed

Customer:

sure! I will watch for you

pctech :

Go ahead and double click on the file and tell me if it opens up this time

pctech :

it should show a file called replacefile.bat

pctech :

If it does double click on it and tell me what happens

pctech :

I will be back within 15 minutes max

Customer:

double clicked: office - downloads - replacefile

Customer:

double clicked on replacefile.. clicked run... getting Huge Virus warnings says clean computer before a crash.. trojan/hackware/adware

Customer:

maybe I downloaded the wrong thing? there is screen I just found: iLivid Download... says dowload is ready/ click here to start downloading

pctech :

No, it is just a warning because it is a bat file. Trust me, this is safe to do. Just allow it to do it.

pctech :

I have no idea what the ilivid file thing is.

pctech :

I would not do that one

Customer:

OK... I ran it when given option... so what now?

pctech :

Does a black screen come up, and does it say anything about hit key to continue or something like that?

Customer:

yes, i did all that

pctech :

Then the files should have been replaced now.

pctech :

If you would like to do it again, then when the black screen comes up, before you hit any key to continue, tell me if you see anything that says something about it copying 1 files successfully or if it says something else...

Customer:

so the pmos should be current? it still shows old date

Customer:

it shows 1 file copied

pctech :

Perfect, then the file is now replaced

Customer:

does it matter that it is program files (x86) ?

pctech :

so lets move to the next issue

pctech :

ok, wait

Customer:

I will see if the program will open because when I look at SSS it still shows date of 11/14/12 and shouldnt it be todays date?

pctech :

tell me if you goto c:\program files\ and c:\program files (x86) do you see both of those?

pctech :

If so then I will remake the file to copy to that one instead, sorry about that. My mistake.

Customer:

I see it in there will small sss's can I just move it to the (x86) ?

pctech :

you can try, let me know if it allows you to

Customer:

just cut and paste?

pctech :

yes

Customer:

wont work... say need admin approval. (Grrrrrr!)

pctech :

if it does not then I will create the one that puts it in the correct place. Again I am sorry

pctech :

give me a couple seconds

pctech :

Please tell me if the c:\program files(x86) has a space between the files9x86) or if it is files (x86)

Customer:

Program Files (x86)

pctech :

open the file, then double click it to bring up the black dos type window, and tell me what it says before you hit the any key to continue thing

Customer:

dos window open: 1 file(s) copied press any key to continue

Customer:

want me to type the details?

pctech :

good, go ahead and check the file dates

Customer:

No dates changed. where is it going? I think it is dumping into the download files... it shows as zipped. now there are 2 of them one: replacefile (1) other replacefile... do I unzip? rename?

pctech :

Go ahead and delete them both from your download folder

pctech :

Let me know when that is done

Customer:

done

pctech :

Let me know when you have it downloaded

Customer:

clickede save and open

pctech :

so now you have the file downloaded, and open so you see the replacefile.bat right?

Customer:

it is in the download file

pctech :

Open the zip file, and then dbl click on the replacefile.bat.

pctech :

You should then see the black cmd window, tell me what it says when your at that point

Customer:

file just says Replacefile.... : there is no .bat unless I go to properites. Under dounload it says file came from another computer may be blocked... should I try to click unblock?

pctech :

yes please

Customer:

I clicked it, still not change.. why does it not say .bat when I open it? it only shows that if I go to properties

Customer:

Replace file Type: Windows Batch File Compressed size: 1 KB Password XXXXX Size 1KB Ratio 50% Date modified: 3/7/2013 4:01pm

Customer:

Does that all look correct?

pctech :

Not really

pctech :

Let me put it up there again, hold on. It will be a zip file. Then when unzipped it will be a bat file. Okay?

Customer:

super..

pctech :

here ya go

Customer:

I have it in the downloads folder... now what? it does not say .bat

pctech :

That is okay

pctech :

Go ahead and open the zip file

pctech :

then you will see the replacefile file, double click on it, and a black window should open up

Customer:

open by double clicking on it?

pctech :

Yes

Customer:

It is in office - downloads - replacefile.... (incase that matters)

Customer:

I am on that page

pctech :

good, now double click on the replacefile

pctech :

then a black command window should appear

Customer:

open file.. security warning... push run?

pctech :

Yes

Customer:

1 file copied... push any key to continure

pctech :

Good, please type what it shows

pctech :

Just so that I can make sure it is correct

Customer:

c:\Windows\syste32>rem

pctech :

Do not worry about it.

pctech :

Just tell me if the file is the correct date on it.

Customer:

C:\Users\office\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_~1.ZIP>xcopy c:

Customer:

there is no date in the black window. on the replacefile date modified it says 3/7/13 4:01pm

Customer:

Maybe it needs to be Capital SSS's could that possibly matter?

pctech :

Goto c:\program files (x86)\sss\ and then tell me if the file in there has the same properties as the file at c:\tcg\

pctech :

if they have the same properties then your golden for this one

pctech :

Any info yet?

Customer:

if I go to the SSS and open it the pmos date is still 11/14/12

Customer:

C:\Program Files (x86)\SSS (copied from properties)

pctech :

Go to the c:\tcg\ and do the same there and tell me if it has the same date info.

Customer:

The tcg file is under C: only... shoud it go in the SSS? last time on the tcg is 12:30 pm so it is an older one

Customer:

when I open tcg it shows: Created: Today, ‎March ‎07, ‎2013, ‏‎3 hours ago Attributes: Read - only Location C:\

pctech :

so you have a file structure like this right? c:\tcg\pmos.pcf

pctech :

I need the properties of the file pmos.pcf within the tcg folder

Customer:

Type: PCF File (.pcf) location: C:\tcg created: ‎Today, ‎March ‎07, ‎2013, ‏‎4 hours ago

Customer:

Opens with OnlineOrdering... also has: This file came from antoher computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer..... push unblock?

Customer:

Want any info off of the Details tab? Owner office-PC\office Computer OFFICE-PC (this computer)

Customer:

no previous versions

pctech :

Push Unblock

pctech :

Now please do try to login to the program for this file. Then tell me if it is working. If not then I will create a new bat file that will fix this.

Customer:

so go into the (x86) SSS and double click the program?

pctech :

Yes, we need to see if the program is working as they said it would after you replace this file.

Customer:

An error was received when trying to check for a new version of this application. Error Message follows but program will continue to load. Error 6097: Bad IP saddress specified in the connection path or in the ADS.INI file. axServerConnect Then after entering my User ID and Password,, this error still comes up:

pctech :

And where did the pcf file come in to play? Was it from the support service for the software?

Customer:

Error 6610: The Advantage Database Server did not respond to a database request in a timely manner. A communications problem has occurred. Search for 6610 in the Advange Knowledge Base for possible solutions. axServer Connect

Customer:

pmos Properties Type of file: PCF File (.pcf) is that what you mean?

Customer:

let me go check the original download that the sent and see if it same?

Customer:

The one he sent is: pmos.pcf (927 B)

pctech :

And the one in the Program Files (x86)\SSS\ is what size?

Customer:

That is the new one that was downloaded, but now I dont even remember where it is? I dont see on desktop now?

pctech :

Is that the one you moved to the c:\TCG folder?

Customer:

822 bytes (822 bytes)

Customer:

yes! now I rember.

Customer:

The one in the C: tcg is 822 bytes but has todays date?

pctech :

That is fine.

pctech :

Okay, so it appears that the file is not copying over the original yet. Tell ya what. Tell me where you downloaded the newer pcf file and I will get it, then incorporate it into a install file that will do what you need. After that then we can work on your other issues. Is this okay with you? If so message me the link where you downloaded the pcf file.

Customer:

can I email you the link?

Customer:

I downloaded it to the download file:;; Properties: C:\Users\office\Downloads Size 822 bytes....why wouldn't it have the 927?

Customer:

Created: ‎Today, ‎March ‎07, ‎2013, ‏‎12 minutes ago Accessed: ‎Tuesday, ‎September ‎14, ‎2010, ‏‎1:31:28 PM

Customer:

seems strange it has that old accessed date? but I dont know what it means?

Customer:

Do you wnat me to leave it in that location?

Customer:

How do I find/ message you the link?

pctech :

Let me know if you were able to download that latest file, and if it makes sense to you, and if it helped your situation out?

pctech :

You still with me?

pctech :

Since you are not replying if you prefer I can opt out of this question and open to other experts. Let me know what you want me to do.

Customer:

I need a few mins

pctech :

ah, okay

pctech :

I must go for now. I will be back on in around 40 minutes if you want me to work with you. If not let me know and I can opt out so that another expert can assist you.

pctech :

What would you like me to do?

Customer:

I dont know how this works... I have to go, phones ringing and I have to coach a basketball game... what do I do - can I get help tomorrow? my first time to use this how will I be charged?

pctech :

I will be here when you return. Just login back into this site, and then you will be taken to this chat session. Then send a message and I will join the session and we can continue from there.

Customer:

Thx

pctech :

If your back on later tonight I will be available to help you. Talk to you later then.

pctech :

I am available whenever your back online.

Customer:

Thanks so much for your help.

pctech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 20+ Years exp. CompTIA A+, Lenovo and Dell Certified.
Expert:  pctech replied 1 year ago.
It was my greatest pleasure to assist you with your question today. If you ever need more help feel free to come back and ask for me, "pctech". Thank you again.
Sincerely,
Matt B.