comp_audio, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  20+ Years exp. CompTIA A+, Lenovo and Dell Certified.

I cannot download anything. I get an error message when I try

I cannot download anything. I get an error message when I try to update windows. 80070641 and 641

pctech :

I see that you are now offline. When you return just send me a message here and I will rejoin this chat session so that we can continue to work on your problem.
Thanks and I look forward to hearing back from you soon.
Matt B.

pctech :

I am not sure if you are talking about the regedit I am listing here, but please try this. If you cannot do this let me know and I can create the file for you and put it up to download.

I suggest you to perform the following steps to rebuild the windows installer service.

Note: To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 ( )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

a. Open Notepad.

b. Copy the following command to notepad and save it asreset.reg on to your desktop.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

c. Click on Start.

d. Type regedit in the Start Search field and hit enter.

e. On the registry edit windows click onFile and select Import.

f. Browse to the location where reset.reg file is located and select the file.

g. Click ok at the on-screen windows once the registry is merged successfully.

h. Restart the computer and check if updates installs.

pctech :

Something else I would suggest if that does not work is to follow this link and run the tool.

pctech :

In fact I would try this tool first that I just posted.

I tried looking for reset.reg but cannot find it

I cannot find reset.reg

pctech :

hi there. Please try the link I put above first. Then in the meantime I will create that file and put it for you to download. Let me know if the link above does not work.

pctech :

Here is a link where you can download the reset.reg if you want to try that too.

I get to servies\ but do not see msiserver

pctech :

Please just download the reset.reg file I created and then dbl click on it to import it.

pctech :

Are you still with me?

pctech :

I see your offline now. When you can let me know if either of those 2 fixes I gave you above worked. If not I would like to continue to work with you to until we get it working for you. Thanks and talk to you soon.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX did this problem actually start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I stll cannot download or upgrade anything.

I am so very sorry this has happened do you mind me asking how long ago meaning days that this started happening?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It has been for several weeks.

I see let me ask you this and I just want to verify have you tried settings the machine back to a few weeks ago perhaps a month?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not am not sure how to.

Go to this link and follow the instructions to do this let me know if you run into a problem.

Keep in mind you will not loose any information or data.

I am still available whenever you come back. Again Follow the instructions I placed here first, before Computer Tech, and if you have any other issues just let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi! I tried this and in does not work for me. It says it is not being restored. Something is missing. Please tell me I am not going to have to reformat the hard-drive!

Ok, we have a couple of things to try before you have to do that. But before we do anymore, please do backup your personal data from your hard drive to a removable drive, like a usb hard drive, flash drive or a writable cdrom or dvd. Please let me know when your ready to proceed.
Thanks, Matt
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have it backed up on a external hard drive.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Things are getting worse! Now windows locks up when I go on line. I use Yahoo.

Hey there, I am wondering the cause of this, and was thinking it could be 1 of 3 things.
1 - Virus - Have you done a virus scan (checkout
2 - HDD could be failing - Have you ran a hdd test?
3 - Windows OS corrupt - Have you tried from a cmd prompt - sfc /scannow?

Let me know what you think or the results from those.
If you need a testing app for free I could point in the direction.

Thanks, Matt
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I ran Norton and it said I have no virus(s)

Programs I have seem to run OK but going on line is a problem and trying to update anything just does not work. And I cannot up load any new progams. I think Windows is corrupt.

I did get this info though.

Data Type Device Problem and Description
Device Type isatap.{824CA31F-B82D-4BC7-9D2C-A5BF7373F3FA}
Device Status Device is not working properly. Windows cannot load the required device drivers. (Code 31)
Plug and Play ID ROOT\*ISATAP\0006
Device Type isatap.{736C1324-B834-4D59-B4BF-5709F606D06F}
Plug and Play ID ROOT\*ISATAP\0027
Device Type
Plug and Play ID ROOT\*ISATAP\0028
Plug and Play ID ROOT\*ISATAP\0029
Network Connectivity Check

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did you get my last response to you?

I just got it. Strange I did not get it before. Sorry about the delay. I would like to have you run a tool called sfc scanner. It checks all of the windows system files, and replaces them if it finds they are not the correct size. To run this follow these instructions. Then let me know the results.
1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password XXXXX for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried this and the system says there are problems but it cannot fix them. Can Windows be reinstalled without erassing all the programs and information?

When it says it cannot fix them, did it say anything about rebooting and having run it again during boot? If not then I can send you the instructions to do it. Otherwise Windows Vista is a bit finicky about re-installing while keeping data, and in my experience, it is always better to backup the data, and do a complete install. But your the boss, and I will help you do what you prefer.
comp_audio, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 20+ Years exp. CompTIA A+, Lenovo and Dell Certified.