Maggie P
Maggie P, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  30+yrs computer experience, HNC Computing, Microsoft Certified Professional, CompTia A+, ASAP, UNITE

I downloaded and installed Wordperfect Office X6 home & student

I downloaded and installed Wordperfect Office X6 home & student to my windows 8 laptop. I get the following error message:

This application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.

What should I do?
Hello and thank you for using this service.

The side by side error usually indicates that common libraries installed by multiple programs are interfering with one another.

From Control Panel > Programs and Features uninstall the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable x86

Re-install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable x86 from

Try to open WordPerfect X6 and let me know if you still get any errors.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Maggie -- I did as you suggested, then rebooted after reinstalling the Visual C++ software. That did it--WordPerfect opened right up. Thanks so much.

BTW -- your instructions did not mention rebooting; I tried opening Wordperfect prior to rebooting, and got the same error message as before.

That's great. You are very welcome and thank you for letting me know a reboot was needed. Should you have any queries relating to this one you can return to this page at anytime for no extra charge.

Should you need my assistance for future computer questions you can ask me directly from my profile page at

Thank you once again for using Just Answer, please use the smiley faces to rate the service you received today. Remember you are rating the service you got from myself and not WordPerfect software or Just Answer website.

Have a lovely day.