Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Engineer and Support Professional
8287049

I have a Dell Dimension E521 and am running Vista 32. I keep

I have a Dell Dimension E521 and am running Vista 32. I keep getting the following error message: error in C:\windows\system 32\nvsc.dll missing entry.

How do I get rid of this?

XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Computer
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.

Techie_Ben :

Thank you for the question. This is a problem with the video card driver on your machine. You will need to re-install the video card driver from the Dell Dimension E521 driver downloads page. The first one listed on the page should work for you unless you ordered a custom video card when you purchased your machine.

Customer:

Would this be Nividia? Or can I double click on the hot button in your message and that will take me there?

Techie_Ben :

Yes, you should click the link in my message. That will bring you right to the appropriate downloads page.

Techie_Ben :

Do you have an nVidia card?

Customer:

and then I just look for what exactly? Bear with me as I mentioned I'm 77 and a computer nerd.

Techie_Ben :

No problem at all. There are a few downloads there that will help. I'd suggest starting by downloading the first one listed on the link I sent.

Customer:

Ok, do you wait while I do this?

Techie_Ben :

Yes, I will be here.

Customer:

Looks like it will take awhile. It's an executable file, do I double click on it after it's downloaded to get it installed?

Techie_Ben :

Yes, once it is downloaded just double-click it to launch the installer.

Customer:

thank-you. It's at 17% now.

Techie_Ben :

Are you going to wait here while it downloads?

Customer:

yes. Unless you want me to get a hold of you when it's done.

Customer:

or e-mail you tomorrow.

Techie_Ben :

Nope, just making sure. I will stay here too.

Techie_Ben :

There is also an nVidia download. Do you know if you have an nVidia card or not?

Customer:

I don't want to hold you from another inquiry.

Customer:

I do have a disc from Dell that has the device drivers on it, but not sure if Nvidia is on it or not.

Techie_Ben :

Ok. You may want to start the download on the same page for the nVidia driver. It's the 8th one down on the list with the release date of 2/1/2007

Customer:

k

Customer:

OK, the first one is downloaded.

Techie_Ben :

Ok, try running that while the other continues to download. If you're prompted to restart your machine, just say no for now and restart once you're ready.

Customer:

k

Customer:

It's asking me to select a folder to place the file in. It has c/dell\drivers\R60911 selected

Techie_Ben :

Yes, that folder is fine.

Customer:

It will create the folder, is that OK?

Techie_Ben :

Yes

Customer:

successfully unzipped. The other file has downloaded. I'm getting a message in German now.

Techie_Ben :

Did the installer open when you ran the first file?

Customer:

not unless it's in German.

Techie_Ben :

It should have opened a window called "ATI Catalyst" that looks like this:

Full Size Image

Customer:

The second download tried to open but said it couldn't find a Nividia that was compatible with my download, so I had to close out of it.

Techie_Ben :

Ok, no problem then. We'll use the first one.

Customer:

yes that opened, but it was in German

Techie_Ben :

Can you select English as the language?

Customer:

where?

Techie_Ben :

If you need to re-open it, click the Start button on the bottom left corner of your screen, and type C:\dell\drivers\R60911 and then press enter

Techie_Ben :

actually looks like the folder name is: C:\dell\drivers\R160911

Techie_Ben :

so just type that in to the search box after clicking the Start menu

Techie_Ben :

once the folder is open, double-click the file called setup.exe

Customer:

I still have it open, and the top block of copy says AvslutteCataylst@installasjonsbehandlling

Customer:

ja nei

Techie_Ben :

Can you close it and re-open it? Once it opens, you should see the option to select the language

Customer:

I'll try

Customer:

I've typed both versions and it says it cannot find the file.

Techie_Ben :

What happens when you just type C:\dell and press enter

Customer:

Ok, I got it open and clicke on the exe and the page opened to

Techie_Ben :

Ok

Customer:

now it wants to file it at C\programfiles\ati technologies

Techie_Ben :

Yes, that is the actual install location it will use.

Customer:

k

Customer:

The first language was Norwegian by-the-way

Techie_Ben :

Were you able to switch it to English?

Customer:

yes

Techie_Ben :

Ok

Customer:

New message: failed to find any installable components. No compatable hardware detected

Techie_Ben :

Interesting, so then it seems you have a different video card than either the nVidia or the default cards.

Techie_Ben :

Have you ever replaced the card?

Customer:

No

Customer:

Wouldn't know how

Techie_Ben :

You can try the 4th download on the page.

Customer:

I remember installing the NVidia

Customer:

k

Techie_Ben :

Actually, can you do this first...

Techie_Ben :

click on Start, and type in Device Manager

Techie_Ben :

Once Device Manager is open, check under "Display Adapters"

Customer:

I typed that in the "run" window, and the answer came back
Windows could not find device.

Customer:

Is it case sensitive?

Techie_Ben :

No. When you type Device, let it populate the list above with the suggested applications to open

Techie_Ben :

You should see Device Manager listed

Customer:

you type that in the run window right?

Techie_Ben :

Yes, or just type devmgmt.msc and press enter

Customer:

that opened up my JOHN PC folder, which has a lot of items listed, all with pull down menus. No Device Manager as such. There is a system devices folder which has a lot in it, but no device manager

Techie_Ben :

Yes, that is device manager

Techie_Ben :

Do you see "Display Adapters" in that list?

Customer:

no. there is a Nividia nForce PCI system management though

Techie_Ben :

Which section is that under?

Customer:

Oh wait a minute I found the display adapter folder.

Customer:

It has Nividia GEforce 6150 LE in it.

Techie_Ben :

Ok thanks. Let me find that driver then.

Customer:

phew

Customer:

thanks for your patience

Techie_Ben :

No problem

Techie_Ben :

Ok, click here then click the download button. Then click the Agree and Download button. Then same as before, just run the file it downloads.

Customer:

k

Customer:

OK, Nividia is opening up

Techie_Ben :

Ok

Customer:

Ok the drivers are installed and it wants me to restart the computer.

Techie_Ben :

Yes, at this point you should restart. Do you know how to get back here?

Techie_Ben :

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/7l5dm-dell-dimension-e521-running-vista-32-keep.html

Customer:

no

Techie_Ben :

That link will take you back to our chat.

Customer:

lol

Customer:

all I have to do is find just answer, right?

Techie_Ben :

Yes, however the link I sent will take you directly here. I can make you a much smaller one, just a second.

Customer:

k

Customer:

I didn't see the first link.

Techie_Ben :

http://tinyurl.com/ah9fukm

Customer:

that seemed to have worked! Thank-you

Techie_Ben :

Very glad to hear!

Techie_Ben :

Thanks so much for your patience

Customer:

can I delete those folders that I didn't need?

Techie_Ben :

If you can, please rate my answer using one of the smiley faces below. It's the only way I am compensated for working on the question.

Techie_Ben :

Yes, you can safely delete them

Customer:

well, when you're dealing with an old man, it just takes awhile.

Customer:

ok.

Customer:

thanks again.

Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience: Software Engineer and Support Professional