Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Engineer and Support Professional
8287049

My function key appears to be locked on my laptop. Whenver

My function key appears to be locked on my laptop. Whenver I type I need to hold down the function key to get certain letters to appear. How do I fix this?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.

Techie_Ben :

Thank you for the question. Can you please tell me the make/model of the laptop you are using?

Customer:

I have a Gateway laptop, not sure of the model.

Techie_Ben :

Can you find the model number written somewhere on the machine? It's important to know so I can find the layout of the keyboard on that particular model.

Customer:

MT6916

Techie_Ben :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX me a moment.

Techie_Ben :

Can you tell me what happens when you do not hold down the function key? Does it print numbers instead of letters, or does it perform unexpected functions like dimming your laptop screen?

Customer:

It prints the numbers that are on the keys instead of the letters.

Techie_Ben :

I see. Can you please hold the Fn key and press the "NumLock" key?

Techie_Ben :

If there is no NumLock key, you may need to press Fn+Scroll or Fn+Padlock

Customer:

I don't know where the NumLock button is.

Customer:

It was the Scroll button.

Techie_Ben :

Did that fix the number lock issue?

Customer:

yes.

Customer:

Thank you.

Techie_Ben :

Glad to hear. Thank you for your patience. Please rate my question using one of the smiley faces below. It was a pleasure working with you!

Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience: Software Engineer and Support Professional