Maggie P
Maggie P, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  30+yrs computer experience, HNC Computing, Microsoft Certified Professional, CompTia A+, ASAP, UNITE
17900009

Device Manager shows that SBRE is not working properly (has

Device Manager shows that SBRE is not working properly (has stopped) and that it has no driver. How can I fix?
"This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have al lof it's drivers installed" code 24.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Maggie P replied 1 year ago.

Maggie P :

Hello and thank you for using this service.

Maggie P :

SBRE is related to Sunbelt software CounterSpy or Vipre, if you have either of those then an uninstall and re-install should fix the driver issue.

Customer:

Do i find these in the control panel?

Maggie P :

Yes they will be in Programs in the Control Panel.

Maggie P :

I would recommend restarting the computer in between the uninstall and install

Customer:

If I uninstall, how do I find them to reinstall?

Maggie P :

Did you install from a download or from a CD?

Customer:

I'm not finding either of these in the control panel, and this was with the computer on purchase.

Maggie P :

OK do you have an active anti-virus and anti-spyware program running?

Customer:

yes, AVG

Maggie P :

OK then in Device Manager change your view to show hidden devices and uninstall sbaphd, sbapifs, SBRE and sbtis if they still exist.

Customer:

So I don't need it?

Maggie P :

No only if you still use the Sunbelt programs.

Customer:

And if I go back to the antivirus that came with the computer? (It was Norton)

Customer:

Is Norton Sunbelt?

Maggie P :

No Norton won't use them.

Maggie P :

If you were to go back to using Sunbelt then the installation would replace them.

Customer:

I'm not sure why they were here then?

Customer:

I never used sunbelt.

Maggie P :

Have maybe had a trial version of Vipre or Counterspy at some point?

Customer:

No. Is a fairly new laptop, never had them. Do you mean sbTis? that is on here too.

Maggie P :

Yes

Customer:

Also sbhips, and sbFw? them too?

Maggie P :

Do they all show as not working?

Customer:

Everything else shows asworking properly. Even sbTis

Maggie P :

Bookmark this page so you can return here easily, restart the computer and when you log back in let me know if you get any errors or if they are re-installed.

Maggie P :

sbFw and hips may be Kerio Firewall

Customer:

So I should uninstall all of them? so far have only done SBRE, and sbTis. Don't have Kerio firewall thatI know of.

Customer:

Am restarting, back in a couple of minutes.

Maggie P :

On stand by.

Maggie P :

Were there any error messages when you rebooted.

Customer:

No, but sbTis did not uninstall - is still there - Don't think It is a problem - the program I ran only id'd SBRE as a problem and that was the only one not functioning.

Maggie P :

Which program ID'ed it as a problem?

Maggie P :

It is possible another rebranded security program is using the drivers.

Customer:

AVG's TuneUp utilities

Customer:

Don't know!

Maggie P :

If you do still have a program that needs them then it will give you an error message when it tries to use the driver, if so then you will need to re-install that program. If not then it's nothing to worry about.

Customer:

So, am thinking problem solved?

Maggie P :

Yes, you can return here at anytime should you need further help with this issue.

Customer:

THANK YOU!

Maggie P :

You are very welcome.

Maggie P, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 30+yrs computer experience, HNC Computing, Microsoft Certified Professional, CompTia A+, ASAP, UNITE