jctservice
jctservice, Consultant
Experience:  I'm an experienced IT systems administrator and engineer.
70537868

how do I re-set the harddrive to factory specs? the computer

Customer Question

how do I re-set the harddrive to factory specs? the computer is corrupted.
I was able to retreve the files in safe mode. but the method I used on an HP laptop w
windows vista, does not work on the ASUS desktop w windows 8.
Category: Computer
Expert:  jctservice replied 1 year ago.

jctservice :

Hi there! I'm Joey, and I'm happy to assist you today!

jctservice :

Is the computer you want to recover Windows 8?

Customer:

yes, brand new (8 weeks)

jctservice :

Ok. Windows 8 has a new feature for reinstalling that makes it easy -- if you can boot into the OS

jctservice :

can you boot the machine at all?

Customer:

it turns on

jctservice :

can you boot from safe mode?

jctservice :

into safe mode i should say

Customer:

yes

jctservice :

ok, go ahead and boot to safe mode, I believe we can use the Windows 8 recovery utility from there

Customer:

booting up

Customer:

ok

jctservice :

Ok, from safe mode, go ahead and open the new "start" screen that shows the tiles and shortcuts

jctservice :

and just begin typing:

reset windows

jctservice :

you'll see the search box appear with your typing in it -- and just under that box, after you have typed "reset windows" -- click the "settings" icon

jctservice :

on the left of the screen, you should see an link that says "remove everything and reinstall windows"

Customer:

restore is working

jctservice :

Great! I'm happy to wait until it's completely if you like to make sure it resolves your issue...

Customer:

restarting

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX to be in business now.

jctservice :

Pretty quick process!

jctservice :

You are quite welcome, glad that worked for you

jctservice, Consultant
Experience: I'm an experienced IT systems administrator and engineer.