IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional

My computer will not recognize my wireless network adapters.

My computer will not recognize my wireless network adapters. I have two adapters, a Linksys AE 1000 and a Realtek RTL8191SU. Both adapters work when connected a laptop and another PC.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.

The installed drivers and software may be outdated or incompatible to Windows 7. Please download and install the latest driver from the following page:
http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=229&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm still having the same issues. My USB port does not seem to be working when I connect the wireless adapter to it. Everything else that I connect to the ports work. I installed the realtek software. When I click on the desktop icon the program opens, but does nothing else but flashes like it trying to do something.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
I will forward you to a wifi expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help Thomas.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

What is the status for Linksys AE 1000? Do you see the same error messages?

Please connect both network adapters and go to Device Manager. Expand the Network adapters category. Do you see any of the connected USB wireless network adapters listed there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is the same thing for both of the wireless network adapters, the software installs, but not the drivers. In the device manager it states No drivers are installed for this device.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
I see. Is this the first time you are trying to use those USB wireless network adapters on your computer or you have used them before?

Also, have you experienced similar problems with installing another hardware device(s) as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is the first time that I am trying to get this computer to go wireless, it has always been connected to the internet via cable.
I have only had a problem wireless network adapters, everything that I connect to the USB ports work fine.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK. Let's find the cause and solve the problem.

Are you using Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit? And are you using Windows 7 on other computes as well? Again, 32-bit or 64-bit?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am using the upgrade Windows 7 32 bit . I am using XP on the other computers.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK, you could be having Windows XP drivers only, so Windows 7 won't accept them because they are different. I have found working Windows 7 32-bit drivers for both wireless network adapters.

Here are the instructions. Please disconnect both wireless network adapters before proceeding.

Linksys AE 1000
1. First download Windows 7 32-bit drivers for Linksys AE 1000 using THIS LINK. Save the ZIP file to your computer
2. Extract the content of ZIP file to a folder
3. Connect your Linksys AE 1000 wireless network adapter to an available USB port
4. Open Device Manager and expand the Network adapters category. If you see Linksys AE 1000 device listed there, press right click on its name and select Update Driver Software... If it is not there, check the Other devices group which represents not yet installed hardware device(s)
5. Select Browse my computer for driver software and select a folder containing extracted Windows 7 32-bit drivers for Linksys AE 1000
6. Leave the Include subfolders check-box checked and click Next
7. Windows 7 should begin driver installation and once it has finished, you can use your wireless network adapter, so click on the network icon near the clock and it will show you available wireless networks you can connect to

Realtek RTL8191SU
1. First download Windows 7 32-bit drivers for Realtek RTL8191SU using THIS LINK. Save the ZIP file to your computer
3. Connect your Realtek RTL8191SU wireless network adapter to an available USB port
4. Open Device Manager and expand the Network adapters category. If you see Realtek RTL8191SU device listed there, press right click on its name and select Update Driver Software... If it is not there, check the Other devices group which represents not yet installed hardware device(s)
5. Select Browse my computer for driver software and select a folder containing extracted Windows 7 32-bit drivers for Realtek RTL8191SU

I hope it helps!

Regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After I select the folder that contains the drivers, it states Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device.I get the same message for both adapter. Something causes a error while the drivers are trying to install. The USB port does not recognize that the adapter is connected and states that A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
While you have one or both wireless network devices connected, open Device Manager, expand the Network adapters category, locate malfunctioned wireless network device, press right click on its name and select Uninstall. Confirm the uninstall and then disconnect it and re-connect back.

Do you hear a sound while connecting and does Windows 7 offers you to install drivers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I did not hear a sound. Yes windows tried to download the drivers, but encountered a problem again. Device driver software was not successfully installed.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK. Please check if you can install drivers in Windows 7 Safe Mode. First disconnect both wireless network adapters and restart your computer. When restarted, keep pressing F8 key rapidly until you see the Advanced Boot Options menu which looks like this:

graphic
Once you see that menu, select Safe Mode with Networking. Log in to your Windows account and then re-connect wireless network adapter(s) and try to install it/them. Check if there will be any changes in contrast to normal mode.

If Windows doesn't offer you to install drivers once you have connected one of your wireless network adapters, open Device Manager and try to install drivers from there.

To exit Safe Mode, just restart the computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to throw this computer in the trash it gives me the same message,Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device. Yes i'm in safe mode. Could this be a problem with the USB drivers? maybe their corrupt.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
This is quite funny. Several days ago, another user had almost the same problem as you. I will copy and paste the instructions I provided for them.

First, return to Windows 7 "normal" mode and disconnect both wireless network adapters.

#1. Create a new Windows profile
Current Windows profile (account) can be corrupted or certain functions may not work properly when logged on to it. You can create a new Windows profile, log on to it and check if can install USB wireless network adapters.

So, to create a new Windows profile, click the Windows Start button and then access Control Panel. There click on Add or remove user accounts located under the User Accounts and Family Safety category. When a new window opens, click the Create a new user account. Now type a name of the new Windows account you will use. For example, if your current Windows account was named John, name a new account as John2 or whatever you like. Make sure to select Administrator as account type. Then, click the Create Account button. After that, log off of your current account and log in to newly created account (John2 or whatever you called it). Wait for few moments while Windows prepares the account for the first time. Once you see Desktop, your new account is ready so check if you can install wireless network adapters.

#2. Update Windows 7 using Windows Updates
If first suggestion didn't work, you can go back to your regular Windows profile and delete newly created Windows profile. Access Control Panel and click on Add or remove user accounts located under the User Accounts and Family Safety category. There click on the name of the new profile and then click on Delete the account button. Confirm the removal by clicking on the Delete Files button.

Now access Windows Update (this requires Internet access). Click the Windows Start button and type windows update into search box and press Enter. When a new window opens, make sure to have your USB wireless network adapter(s) connected and then click the Check for updates button. Wait a while and you will be able to install all recommended updates or only those you manually select. To manually select which updates to install, click on the link that says
xx important updates are available or
xx optional updates are available

Windows Updates can install latest drivers for all hardware devices currently connected to your computer. You can click on the xx optional updates are available link to see what updates are available. Make sure to check network drivers check-box if they are listed.

If not, just install recommended updates and then restart a computer.

When your computer restarts, check if USB wireless network adapters are working. If still nothing, let me know so that I can provide you more suggestions you can try.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After all that, the light on the adapter is on, but a message box near the clock says USB device not recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows doe not recognize it.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
I see. Moving to another set of suggestions:

#1. Please run system integrity check using Command Prompt:

1. Click Windows Start button and type cmd into Search box and once you see it under the Programs section, press right click on its name and select Run as administrator
2. When the Command Prompt window opens, type this command below and press Enter:

sfc /scannow

3. Wait a while until it scans for all Windows files. It will take several minutes
4. Check the results and tell me what it says

#2. Uninstall previously installed network drivers:

1. Disconnect all USB wireless network devices and exit Device Manager window if open
2. Click Windows Start button and type cmd into Search box and once you see it under the Programs section, press right click on its name and select Run as administrator
3. When the Command Prompt window opens, type these commands below (or use copy & paste) and press Enter:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
devmgmt.msc

4. Second command will open Device Manager. Once it does, click View > Show hidden devices. After that, expand the Network adapters category

5. You will see an extended list of items there, including transparent items which represent previously installed network adapters. Uninstall all transparent items by right-clicking them and choosing Uninstall

6. Once done, restart the computer and then re-connect one or both USB wireless network devices and see the results

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For over one year I have been trying to get this computer to go wireless, at last it is working. Thank you very much Miro. Pat yourself on the back, great job.

Ralph

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
I am so glad my instructions were helpful!

If you need anything else, you can always request me on this link:
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-it-miro

You can now rate my service to confirm that the problem has been solved!

Thanks and have a nice day!

IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional