Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

Just bought a new tower. How do I move my files from the old

Customer Question

Just bought a new tower. How do I move my files from the old tower to the new one?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Hi, I will assist with this issue.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Do you have a USB flash drive or USB external hard drive, so you can transfer your files, such as documents, pictures, etc. from the old computer to the new one? Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer:

Yes I have a USB Flash drive

Viet - Computer Tech :

plug in the flash drive to the old computer, then copy and paste any file you want to the flash drive

Customer:

Only my personal files?

Viet - Computer Tech :

yes, only your personal files

Viet - Computer Tech :

such as documents, pictures, etc.

Customer:

Ok so what about the programs for the printer, my camera. Do I have to redownload them?

Viet - Computer Tech :

yes, you have to redownload.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Does the new computer have windows 7 or 8?

Viet - Computer Tech :

What's the brands and models of the printer and camera?

Customer:

So in other words I need to go through my programs very carefully and see what is there and pick and choose which ones need to be copied to the new tower.

Customer:

Windows 8

Viet - Computer Tech :

no, you don't copy programs, you need to download (or use the disks if you have), then install

Viet - Computer Tech :

you only copy personal files

Customer:

Printer is HP Deskjet and camera is a brand new Samsun WB100

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please check the exact model of the hp deskjet printer

Customer:

F4135

Viet - Computer Tech :

There is no software for the camera, just plug in the new computer, then on the Desktop, open Computer, then open the camera device driver letter to get pictures.

Customer:

I do have the install disks

Viet - Computer Tech :

For the camera, use the disk if needed.

Customer:

For the printer I mean

Viet - Computer Tech :

For the printer, don't use the disk,

Viet - Computer Tech :

but download and install at

Viet - Computer Tech :

or http://tinyurl.com/b92tgu2

Customer:

Why?

Viet - Computer Tech :

because the old disk might not be compatible with windows 8

Customer:

Ok. Is there anything that you can think of that might not be compatible with Windows 8

Customer:

anything else

Viet - Computer Tech :

what are other devices/programs you use?

Viet - Computer Tech :

What are other devices/programs you regularly use on the computer?

Customer:

I have itunes, media player 11, magentic, my tom tom, streets 2011, vzw internet

Viet - Computer Tech :

itunes:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Viet - Computer Tech :

windows media player is built-in

Viet - Computer Tech :

vzw internet should work automatically

Viet - Computer Tech :

for other software, try installing the disks if you have; if not, or if it does not work, go to their websites and download

Customer:

So I will need to down load my screen savers and my music. Sounds like I may need another stick drive!

Viet - Computer Tech :

you can copy and move over to the new computer, then delete on the flash drive and continue other files

Customer:

I know I was just trying to be funny.

Viet - Computer Tech :

hehe

Viet - Computer Tech :

sorry

Customer:

That is ok. Well I guess I know what I am doing tomorrow.

Viet - Computer Tech :

OK, if there is still any issue, you can get back to me any time.

Customer:

Thank you very much. I feel alot better about doing this now.

Viet - Computer Tech :

You're welcome. Thank you,

Customer:

Thank and Bye.

Experience: Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.