Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

I saved a project in Pinnacle Studio 15, and now it wont re-load

I saved a project in Pinnacle Studio 15, and now it won't re-load or open. What should I do? It's very important.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

When was the first time you saved this project.. Tonight?

Yesterday, a week ago?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Actually, it was saved back in January. We finished making it, but didn't make a video out of it. So now, we came back to make a video out of it and it won't load. We actually made TWO videos at that time. The second one loaded fine now, but the first one won't load at all.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Are you familiar with the previous versions tab?

We may be able to get it loading again just by loading a previous version.. A feature of windows 7.

First, make a copy of the file in case something goes wrong.

Then, on the original profect file.. Find where its located in your folders outside of the pinnacle program.

Then, right click the file, then left click properties.. Now left click the previous version tab.

Were looking for a version that is as close to january as possible.

We want to restore that vrsion, and then try to open it.

let me know if you get stuck, run into any error codes or issues, and let me know whether this does or does not work.

Thanks Brian.

I strive to provide great service. Please remember to click one of the rating icons below and submit it when you are satisfied. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S. Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried that, and it still didn't work. But I wasn't aware of that feature of Win 7, which will come in handy in the future. I think that the problem lies with Pinnacle itself, which is full of bugs. I guess I need to switch to Vegas Studio or something like that. Well, thanks for trying!

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Im not in the habit of making one attempt, and then quitting Brian.

If your saying, you didnt expect me to keep helping you try to sort the issue, please understand that Im here to resolve issues however long that takes..

Or, if your saying you dont have time to try further steps, we can continue when you have more time. ( I work here 7 days a week)

Please clarify,

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If you have another idea, that sounds fine. If we can't resolve this, I'll have to re-create that video which will be a killer. We've got the Pinnacle project files sitting there, and I just don't know what to do. As I said, there were two videos, with two project files, made at the same time. And the second one seems to load without problems.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Is the second one smaller then the first one? ( actual file size, in megabytes or gigabytes )

it may seem like an innocuos question, but its pretty important
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The .stx files are both 1kb. But the files in the project folders are different; there are fewer of them in the one that doesn't work. And some of the sub-folders in that one have today's date, instead of the date from last January.

Sorry about the delay getting back to you. It didn't show up on my browser, but I found it in the email you also sent.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Considering what you said.. Id like to revisit the previous version feature.

When you say it didnt work.. Why not?

Did it not show any previous versions.. ( It sometimes takes a few minutes to load)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The two videos were done on a different computer, and it was copied onto this one. So all of the previous versions (which are dated about a month ago) are the same as the current one.

If both videos wouldn't load, I could understand that the problem would lie with copying the files. But one works fine, and the other just basically does nothing when I try to load it. (And that's the video I really want most.)

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
How are you trying to load it.

Are you just double clicking the video file?

Or, are you opening pinnacle, and then using pinnacles file, open function to load the video?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried both methods, each several times.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok, for the video file that wont open.

Can you right click it, and then click properties.

Tell me if its read only.. Also, tell me the file name extension of the video. ( the file type)

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The project file is a .stx file. It's not read only nor hidden. I'm hoping to create a video file, but so far there isn't one. (If there was, I'd just use it.)

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Can you clarify the size of the stx file that wont open?

is it only one kilobyte?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. That's not unusual. Every .stx file is that size. The one that works fine is also 1 kb.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Right..

But the STX file itself, is only a set of instructions that tells pinnacle how to load the different pieces of the project itself..

If this stx isnt loading, then the pieces of the project must be missing.. ( the video, audio, etc)

You did say you copied the STX file from the other computer not to long ago.. Did you copy everything from the my videos and my pictures folder.

Is it possible t hat this stx file is missing the video and picture and audio component files, that it would need in order to load the project within Studio?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We copied all those files, also. The other video we did (which works OK) also made use of many of the same video, audio, etc. But I appreciate your diligence on this.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok... when you try to load the non working STX project file..

before you said, " it does nothing"

Are we sure its doing nothing.. Or is it stalling out the pinnacle program.. ?

We dont get any error codes, nothing at all?

Lets try this as a test.

Please press the windows key on your keyboard , hold it down, and press R

type in msconfig and press enter.

on the very top tab,on the right section, click on startup, then on the bottom click disable all..

then click apply, then click ok.. Now.. restart the computer..

Once restarted, start Pinnacle.. And then try to load just the non working project file again..

What happens?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dustin,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this. I was a bit afraid to try this approach because I didn't know if I could disable everything and then later re-enable them.

Anyway, we finally just re-created the video from scratch.

I REALLY appreciate your efforts on this. I think it was just too hard a problem to solve unless you had internal knowledge of how Pinnacle works. Or maybe something just got corrupted. Who knows? But thanks for trying. It was worth the money.

Brian

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
We can disable, and then enable everything just as easy.

If you dont want to continue further I understand.. Before you go, could you click one of the rating icons below, and then click submit.

Right now the rating I have on this on my work record is a zero..

Thanks Again Brian, and happy holidays to you and yours.

Dustin S.
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller