Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Engineer and Support Professional
8287049

I receive unsolicited phone calls from the same group of people

I receive unsolicited phone calls from the same group of people who tell me they are from Windows Support Service. They tell me that they have read on their server that my computer is badly infected and that a hacker is using my computer for bad purposes (they don't tell me what). They want access to my computer to "fix it." They tell me that there service may cost me some money but they won't tell me how much until I give them access to my computer. I don't believe them and yet I worry how and why they got access to my phone and I worry that they may be doing something with my computer. What should I do. I'm a retired person who uses my computer for relatively few things and I don't visit sites that should be bad ones. Please advise me. Thank you.

Techie_Ben :

Hello. Thank you for the question. This is a common scam and you should not believe any of the information they are telling you. The group will install malicious software on your machine, and only at that point will hackers be using your machine for bad purposes. If you do not give them access, you should be safe by continuing normal antivirus practices.

I would suggest filing a report with the Internet Crime Complaint Center using this form, especially if you have the callers phone number. Otherwise, you should continue to ignore the calls and contact your phone company about blocking further calls if you have the number the call came from.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to assist further. Thanks again!