jctservice
jctservice, Consultant
Experience:  I'm an experienced IT systems administrator and engineer.
70537868

how do i set up a new group in my email? hotmail was intuitive...the

Customer Question

how do i set up a new group in my email? hotmail was intuitive...the new is not
Category: Computer
Expert:  jctservice replied 2 years ago.

jctservice :

Hi there! I'm Joey, and I'm happy to assist you today!

jctservice :

Are you using the new "windows live" version of hotmail now?

jctservice :

If so, this is the procedure. they have renamed "groups" -- they are now called "categories"

jctservice :

To set up a group of recipients in Windows Live Hotmail:

• Select Contact list from Windows Live Hotmail's left-hand navigation bar.

• Now select Manage categories under Categories in the left-hand navigation bar.

• Click New.

• Type the desired group name under Name:.

• This name acts as a nickname when addressing messages.

• The nickname must be unique in your address book (a group cannot have the same name as another group or another address book entry's nickname).

• Press Enter.

• Type email addressees or existing address book contacts' names under Members: to add them.

• Click Save.

jctservice :

To send a message to the new "category" (aka group") -- create a new message, and simply type the "nickname" in the TO, CC, or BCC line.

jctservice :

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know… Just REPLY here at any time.

Thanks for using JustAnswer and have a great day!
__________________________________________________________
If this fully resolves your question, please give me a positive rating for my assistance today. Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated!

Customer:

I'm using microsoft's new mail that that overtook my hotmail account. It's called Outlook.com. It's the one with all the white space that everyone is talking about.

jctservice :

HI there

jctservice :

so the steps i listed don't apply to you, is that correct?

jctservice :

My apologies--- i'm looking for the correct steps for you for that new version

jctservice :

Ok. Here are the steps for outlook.com:

jctservice :

once you've signed in, click the DOWN arrow next to the "outlook" logo in the top left corner... then click "PEOPLE" from the menu

jctservice :

from the "PEOPLE" screen -- to create a NEW group, click the MANAGE menu from the top bar

jctservice :

click "Manage Groups" from the Manage Menu

jctservice :

you can click the + next to the word "group" on that screen, and type the group name in the box

jctservice :

click "apply" at the bottom

jctservice :

THat should take you back to the main "people" screen...

jctservice :

on the left side, your contacts are listed -- click the CHECKBOX next to each contact you want to put in your new group. once you have checkmarked all the ones you want

jctservice :

click 'groups" from the top bar, and then click the CHECKBOX next to the group name

jctservice :

to view the members current IN a group -- under the "PEOPLE" logo at the very top left -- click the ALL menu, then click your group name.

jctservice :

That's it! That is the process for your new outlook.com, I apologize for sending the wrong ones at first!

jctservice :

Please let me know if you have any further questions, I'll be glad to continue to assist....

jctservice, Consultant
Experience: I'm an experienced IT systems administrator and engineer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks a million. It is now within my realm of understanding.

Excellent, so glad you've got if figured out!