authentech
authentech, Systems Admin
Experience:  I am a MS Certified Systems Engineer
58460175

Cannot install Windows 8. I am currently running Windows XP

Cannot install Windows 8. I am currently running Windows XP SP3 on a Dell XPS Dimension Gen3.

When I choose the first option on the Windows 8 installation, "Go online to install updates now (recommended), I get this error message at around 50% complete:
Sorry, we're having trouble determining if your PC can run Windows 8. Please close setup and try again.

When I re-start the Windows 8 installation, and choose "No Thanks" to the offer of going online to install updates", then press next, I see a message that says "Checking your PC, 50% complete", then many minutes pass and then I get the message "Something Happened. Sorry, we're having trouble determining if your PC can run Windows 8. Please close Setup and try again>"

When I close setup and try again, this time SKIPPING "Go online to install updates Now" radio button and choosing

Windows Upgrade assistant gives the error message: Internal Error: Error running compatibility check. Check logs for details.
Category: Computer
Expert:  authentech replied 2 years ago.

authentech :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to assist you with this.

Customer:

ok

authentech :

First, have you backed up your data off the computer? Windows xp to Windows 8 will wipe all of your files from the machine.

Customer:

There is very little on it, but I will do so now. Please stand by.

authentech :

Next, please verify that you meet the minimum requirements for Windows 8 on this system.

authentech :

• Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster

• RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

• Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

• Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

Additional requirements to use certain features:

Customer:

When I attempted to copy a file to a DVD in the DVD drive, I got the message "Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do you want to do?" Allowable responsed are "Retry" and "Cancel".

authentech :

Also, you should uninstall your Antivirus product before trying to install Windows 8. This can block your install from working and there is a built-in A/V for Windows 8...so yours is not needed.

authentech :

You should backup your files to an external hard drive or flash drive...or you should upload your files to a cloud backup program for free called backblaze.com. This is free for 15 days...then it's $5/month. This will take a day or two to backup the files before you can perform the update however

Customer:

I have 3 GB of RAM (?) a terabyte of hard drive space, I have a Sound Blaster graphics card for which I cannot seem to install a driver.

authentech :

Yes, it sounds like that computer should work fine. The driver doesn't matter since it will need windows 8 drivers anyway.

authentech :

It sounds like you need to finish backing up your computer first anyway. Please do that first. Once you are sure you have everything...you can continue.

authentech :

You should then download the Upgrade Assistant here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

authentech :

This will tell you what you have installed that is not compatible on your machine and what you should uninstall

authentech :

This should keep it from freezing up and let you perform the install.

authentech :

I hope I have helped you! Please click on the Smiley Face below to give me a positive rating. This is how I get credit

for the assist. I appreciate it very much! Thanks for using JustAnswer.com and Pearl.com! If you are still having trouble after performing these steps...let me know of course.

Customer:

It's a Pentium 4 processor. I will uninstall my antivirus product now. Stand by.

Customer:

Symantec wants me to stop my browser before it can uninstall.

authentech :

Just hit Ctrl+D to bookmark this page and you can get back to me after following the above instructions if it doesn't work. Just be sure to come back and rate me with a smiley or do it now so I get credit (paid by this site) for helping you.

authentech :

Thanks!

Customer:

Well, I'm not satisfied quite yet that you advice is going to solve my problem, and I won't rate you until I have successfully installed windows 8. How do I return to you after I reopen my browser?

authentech :

As I sai Ctrl+D will bookmark it...then it's in your favorites or bookmarks depending on what browser you are using. You can also write down the link: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/7av4w-cannot-install-windows-8-currently-running-windows-xp.html?utm_source=sys&utm_medium=email&utm_content=crev1_viewqbutton&utm_campaign=ExpertAllQNotify&r=ems|2012-11-04|616

authentech :

or http://tinyurl.com/amzoooj

authentech :

Switching to Q&A for this question. I will be able to continue to assist if needed. Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After backing up my files and un-installing Symantec,

I downloaded the Upgrade Assistant, and got this error message:

Error running system requirement check.

Error = 0x80070001

What could be wrong?

Thanks, Bonnie

Ok couple things to try/check:
1. What version of Windows 8 are you trying to install? Most versions of XP are 32-bit. You can't upgrade to 64 bit if you are running 32 bit xp. Try installing with the 32-bit Windows 8...you only have 3gb of ram anyway so it won't matter.

2. Make sure you are installing from a user account with administrator privileges. If you are, try creating a new adman user account and install from there.

3. Try uninstalling ALL programs one at a time from Add/Remove programs. These are all going to be wiped out anyway. If this doesn't work, you can try reinstalling Windows XP from scratch, then upgrading to Windows 8 from there. This should eliminate any problem you've had. I tried upgrading from Windows 7 to 8 keeping my programs and it didn't work at all. When I wiped out all the programs...worked just fine.

Let me know if any of these options get your problem resolved and thanks!

authentech, Systems Admin
Experience: I am a MS Certified Systems Engineer