Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Engineer and Support Professional

I am a student at Yavapai College in Arizona and I have a intro

I am a student at Yavapai College in Arizona and I have a intro course for programming. They gave me a disc with Dr. Java on it. When I install it to my Windows 7 (64-Bit) system I get an error message when trying to launch the program that says I am missing the MSVCR71.DLL from my computer and to try re-installing the software program again. I have done this many times. I have also ran sfc /scannow to no avail. Do you have a solution for this problem? I desparately need this program to do my school work.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.

Techie_Ben :

Thank you for the question. You can usually solve this problem by copying the msvcr71.dll from the JRE folder provided with the application to your windows\system32 folder (which I assume the file is not there).

Customer:

OK. How can I find out if the file is there?

Techie_Ben :

You can go to Start and type C:\Windows\System32 and press enter

Techie_Ben :

If the file is not there, you can copy it from another location, which I can show you how to find

Customer:

ok give me a minute to try to locate it

Techie_Ben :

sure

Customer:

msvcr40.dll is the highest number I see in system32

Techie_Ben :

Ok, can you search the system for msvcr71.dll? Just go to Start and type C:\ then enter

Techie_Ben :

then in the search box on the top right, just type msvcr71.dll and press enter

Customer:

it's searching

Techie_Ben :

Ok. In the mean time, open up a separate window (Start -> C:\Windows\System32). Once the search returns the result, you can copy/paste from the search page to the system32 folder.

Customer:

I hit enter to send my ok to you and my pc shutdown. I restarted and I am back now

Techie_Ben :

ok

Techie_Ben :

did the search return any results?

Customer:

not any. It's asking me if I want to search elsewhere

Techie_Ben :

You can download and install the .NET framework to get that file on your system. That's the best way to get it from Microsoft directly without copying it from somewhere else on the internet.

Techie_Ben :

Here is the link for the download.

Customer:

ok I will try that, but I don't really know how, or what to request from .net framework

Customer:

ok i see the link

Techie_Ben :

Yes, it should be straight forward from the link

Techie_Ben :

Once it has been installed, check the system32 folder for the DLL again

Techie_Ben :

How is the install going?

Customer:

i am checkin system 32

Techie_Ben :

ok

Customer:

no it's not there. I tried to start the program after installing the .net framework but I get the same error message

Techie_Ben :

Can you do another search for the file on the system to see if it did put it at least somewhere else?

Customer:

ok c:\ enter and then put the file in the searchbox, right?

Techie_Ben :

yes

Customer:

ok

Techie_Ben :

Otherwise, I have another package from Microsoft you can install which claims to also include the DLL.

Customer:

After the search I have a page of possible locations. Here's one: c:\Program Files(x86)\Java\jre6\bin

Techie_Ben :

Ok, yes. And do you see the file listed there?

Customer:

I wish I could take a screen shot and send it to you

Techie_Ben :

I can send you a link that will allow me to see your screen

Customer:

ok

Techie_Ben :

Click here

Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience: Software Engineer and Support Professional