Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Engineer and Support Professional
8287049

Want to switch DNS on my laptop. What is the mechanics in

Want to switch DNS on my laptop. What is the mechanics in doing this? Also are all DNS's open to hacking and if so how to protect against that?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.

Techie_Ben :

Thank you for the question. Did you have a particular DNS server in mind that you wanted to change to?

Customer:

No. And I do not know how to determine what DNS's are available or how to evaluate DNS servers.

Techie_Ben :

I'd suggest using Googles DNS server, however most you find (ie - one provided by your Internet Service Provider) are also secure.

Customer:

Where is the listing and definition of these servers and ratings? Also what is the mechanics in switching it?

Techie_Ben :

There is no official ranking or information available on each server, but there is a page here that has some of the most commonly used DNS servers. You'll see there that the Google DNS server is listed as 8.8.8.8 and the backup is 8.8.4.4. You can define a primary and backup server in the event the primary goes down. As for actually making the change on your system, you can follow these steps:

Go to My Computer>Dialup Networking.
Right-click your internet connection and select Properties.
A window will open - click the Server Types tab. Click TCP/IP Settings.
From here, you can adjust the preferred and alternate DNS servers
Customer:

Did the computer come with a given set of DNS servers when purchased and does that directory get updated from the internet every so often or is the available DNS in the current directory static.

Customer:

BTW I notice that there is a notice of $30 attached to my question. Does that mean to have you answer my question there is an additional $30 being charged to me above the $38 subscription to Just Answer?

Techie_Ben :

The DNS server setting is acquired from your internet service provider when you first connect to the internet. That setting does not get updated unless you update it yourself, although there were a few viruses over the past few years that changed it to a malicious DNS server.

Techie_Ben :

There is no additional charge if you are a subscription customer, however you can direct billing related questions to customer service using this link as I am not the best person to answer billing questions.

Techie_Ben :

Or if you want to talk to someone on the phone about billing, you can call one of the numbers on this page.

Customer:

How can I tell if the DNS I want to switch to is a malicious one or not or if it had been corrected?

Techie_Ben :

If you follow the instructions I sent you on how to change the DNS server, you can check to see what it is currently set to. Usually you can look up the IP address in Google to see who owns the server or tell me the address and I can find it for you. I'd suggest using Googles DNS server (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) as that is what a lot of people use and is very secure.

Customer:

Will my AOL and Yahoo continue to be my default browsers no matter which DNS I use?

Techie_Ben :

Yes, changing the DNS server only impacts what happens behind the scenes when you ask the server to resolve an IP address. Changing it will not impact anything in your browser.

Techie_Ben :

for example, when you go to www.yahoo.com, you need a DNS server to look up the IP address that matches www.yahoo.com, as that URL is just a "friendly" way of getting to Yahoo. The DNS server actually tells your browser that www.yahoo.com really means 98.139.183.24.

Customer:

Thank you for the information. I hope you are not physically in the Mid-Atlantic States in the U.S. and in the way of the monster storm. If you are, be safe.

Techie_Ben :

Thank you. I am in the middle of the storm but haven't lost power yet :)

Techie_Ben :

I hope this answers your question. Please rate me "OK Service" or higher if you are satisfied with my response, otherwise please reply and let me know how I can assist you further. Thanks again!

Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience: Software Engineer and Support Professional