Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

My Asus laptop DVD player is not reading any DVDs. I put the

My Asus laptop DVD player is not reading any DVD's. I put the DVD's in it and it does nothing. You can hear it try to scan, but it ends up doing nothing. No error screen or anything.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

This could just be that Autoplay is turned off. Or it could be that we need to run some repairs.

I can guide you via email, which im pretty good at doing but takes a little longer sometimes.

Or I can offer you a remote support screen share session.

How do you want to proceed.. ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Email is fine. Thank you,

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok Michael.. First things first.

Go to start, computer.. and you should see your dvd drive. ( Insert a known working dvd)

Then.. Double left click your dvd drive.. It should try to play the dvd.

If not, right click it, and then click autoplay or run..

If none of that gets it working,, then lets try these repairs next.

Go to the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

on the page that comes up. click on the green run now box.
It will start a file download ( this file is perfectly safe as its directly from microsoft)

Once you download the file, make sure to run the file..

It will run a dignostic program that will attempt to repair and fix your drive

Apply any fixes it recommends.. Once finished.. test again

If that doesnt work.. try this next

Please press the windows key on your keyboard , hold it down, and press R

Type in devmgmt.msc and press enter

If it asks to open, click yes.

Then, you should see a list of devices installed on your computer..

Double left click the cd dvd drive choice to expand it ... Then..

right click on each listing inside the cd dvd section..

And click uninstall.

Once uninstalled. restart the computer, and test the cd drive..

It should now be working in windows normal startup!!

If its still not working... Send me a reply and let me know which steps you complted, and which ones you didnt. And we will go from there.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the submit button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to submit your rating and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, only the third one worked, but it still didn't actually work. Everytime I put a CD in I hear is clicking and grinding, really trying to read it. Sometimes I will see my little mouse icon turn to a cd like it is reading it, but then nothing else happens and it just stops.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Question..

When was the last time you remember this working correctly for you.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

About 2 months ago. I am deployed. I read somewhere online that guys who deploy come back with their computers full of crap, viruses and such. My computer is only 2 years old.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Aha... Your deployed..

Iraq or afhgan..? I ask because.. Theres a find silica in the air there and the dust gets into everything... And in that case. It sounds like the drive is working ..

Issue is.

The laser lens inside is dirty, or it was scratched by the silica and sand in the air..

We could try a lens cleaning disk, they arent expensive ..

So get your hands on cd / dvd lens cleaning disc, and run it through the drive about 5 or 6 times..

If it will read disks after that.. Excellent!

if it wont.. Your best bet is just to replace the CD /dvd drive, or get an external one.. The lenses inside those dvd drives are extremely fragile and the smallest grain of silt or sand that spins against it from the cd, is going to scar the lens.. simple as that..

If you have any other questions Michael, let me know.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller