Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Engineer and Support Professional
8287049

We bought a lap top for a friend in Mexico City. The lap top

We bought a lap top for a friend in Mexico City. The lap top operating system is Windows 7 sp1. We are going to upgrade to Windows 8 this weekend. Since our friend only speaks and reads Spanish (Mexico) we want the computer we bought to change from English to Spanish (display, output, and input). How do we do that?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.

Techie_Ben :

Thank you for the question. Can you please tell me which edition of Windows 7 is running on the system? You can determine this by clicking Start and typing winver then pressing enter. Only the Enterprise and Ultimate can be changed to another language. If you are running Basic, Home, or Professional, the main display language cannot be changed as you would have needed to purchase the Spanish operating system rather than purchasing English and then trying to change it.

Customer:

6.1 service pack 1 windows 7 home premium . We are going to upgrade to windows 8 this weekend.

Techie_Ben :

Thanks for the information.

Customer:

How do I purchase the Spanish operating system?

Techie_Ben :

Since you are running Windows 7 Home Premium, you cannot update the language like you could if you were running Ultimate or Enterprise.

Techie_Ben :

You can call(NNN) NNN-NNNNto order a different language OS

Techie_Ben :

Or you can purchase an upgrade to Windows Ultimate and then easily switch the language

Techie_Ben :

I'd recommend the upgrade over purchasing a new OS

Techie_Ben :

For that upgrade, you can click here

.

Techie_Ben :

They also sell these upgrades at retail stores like Best Buy

Customer:

thank you. We just bought the lap top from Best Buy and they told us we could upgrade to windows 8 Oct. 26. Would windows 8 upgrade be like windows ultimate or would I still have to purchase the ultimate OS?

Techie_Ben :

Do you have the information you were given on the Windows 8 upgrade? Does it specify the edition you are eligible to upgrade to?

Customer:

No. The sales person told us to go to microsoft upgrade on lap top to purchase Windows 8. I have no idea what edition we could upgrade to. Since we would have to purchase an upgrade ($15.00) would it be in our best interest to purchase Windows Ultimate if offered?

Techie_Ben :

Here is what I would suggest in that case

Customer:

what?

Techie_Ben :

hold off on purchasing anything, and go to this page: http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/

Techie_Ben :

It is likely you are already eligible for Windows 8 Professional

Techie_Ben :

and that version has the ability to install language packs

Techie_Ben :

Once you've upgraded to Windows 8, follow the instructions on this page

Techie_Ben :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2607607

Techie_Ben :

That page brings you through the process of adding any language, which will change the keyboard, input and menu display language in a wide variety of languages (Spanish included)

Customer:

Thank you for your help. This is the first time I ever used a chat format. I think it is quite helpful. 68 years old and I'm still a baby at this. If I need additional help can I request you?

Techie_Ben :

I am glad to hear it is helpful. Yes, you can certainly request me on future questions anything computer related. If you ask a new question, just type "For Techie Ben Only" in the question and it will be sent to me.

Techie_Ben :

I hope this answers your question. Please rate me "OK Service" or higher if you are satisfied with my response, otherwise please reply and let me know how I can assist you further. Thanks again!

Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience: Software Engineer and Support Professional