Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.

All my programs shortcuts has been linked to Windows Photo

All my programs shortcuts has been linked to Windows Photo Viewer. When I am trying to open any program, I receive a message that "Windows photo viewer can't open this picture because either photo viewer does not support this file format or you don't have the latest updates. Even when I tried to install any updates for the photo viewer or any other application, I receive the same screen with the same message. I tried also the solutions mentioned herein before, but I received the same message. Please help to get out of this trouble.
Hi! My name isXXXXX look forward to assisting you! Do not forget to rate my answer quality before you go. Let's get started!

Please bookmark this page by pressing Ctrl+D so that you can easily return to it from your favorites/bookmarks menu (if you don't see Favorites or Bookmarks on top, press the ALT key), then boot up in Safe Mode with Networking; to do so, please follow these steps:
1. Turn off the PC
2. Turn on the PC and repeatedly press [F8] until Boot Options appears
3. Select Safe Mode with Networking with arrow keys and press [ENTER]
4. Log in to the PC

You should be prompted to run system restore; please go ahead and confirm that you wish to run System Restore, and then revert back to before you set up Photo Viewer as your default application for all programs.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It didn't work. I received a message that "System restore cannot be run in a safe mode" and again the same message associated with the Photo Viewer I received again. Still the problem is there

Try running System Restore in normal mode, then.

Start menu --> All Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> System Restore.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I doesn't work. I receive the same message "Windows photo viewer can't open ........

Right-click on the following link and pick "SAVE TARGET AS" then run/open the file and allow the Microsoft Fix-It Tool to run:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry, that has not yet fixed the problem.

I followed your instruction above and after completion the system asked to restart. After restarting I found out that the problem has been still there.

Please right-click and save target as/run on the following registry edit:

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Fred

Yes, it is working now, but the screen resolution is not clear. Shall I go to display sittings and change it?

That's strange; make sure you're not still in Safe Mode.

If it still isn't clear, then yes, please right-click anywhere on your Desktop background and pick "Screen resolution"

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks >>> Frederick,,,,,,, I guarantee that you have a reliable service.

It is OK now. I just want to ask what wrong I did to have this problem in order to avoid next time. And, Am I expected to have it frequently.

Hi there

Sorry for the delay.

It sometimes happens when a user accidentally assigns a new default program to any application.

You shouldn't ever have to deal with this again.

Thank you.