Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Engineer and Support Professional
8287049

I am considering purchasing a new tablet computer like my xoom

I am considering purchasing a new tablet computer like my xoom but more up-to-date. I want a tablet that will allow me to use a USB device (therefore needs a port) and an ethernet connection. I know that I have seen converters from ether net to usb or from usb to ethernet. It should also have blutooth and wireless. Naturally I want it very compact and lightweight.

What kind of tablet would you recommend? Should I wait for the proposed microsoft tablet coming out soon (I think)?

Larry

Techie_Ben :

Hello. Thank you for the question.

Techie_Ben :

The Microsoft Surface RT tablet will be what you are looking for, as only a Windows tablet will be capable of the features you are describing.

Customer:

Do you know the release date and the approximate cost as well as where I might purchase it. And, should I wait a few months so the bugs are worked out?

Techie_Ben :

Are you aware of the options and expected release dates for the Surface RT tablet?

Techie_Ben :

Yes

Techie_Ben :

There is a version expected by the end of October, and another early 2013.

Customer:

yes, means I should wait until 2013 version to avoid the basic bugs. What is the expected cost?

Techie_Ben :

The one expected this month should be around $350, but the one coming in 2013 is going to be faster and more powerful. The price of that should be expected at around $425 - $500 but the specifics have not been released yet.

Techie_Ben :

Yes, if you can, wait until 2013 to avoid basic bugs but more importantly a much faster version with better (Intel) hardware

Customer:

Any idea of when the 2013 model will be released?

Techie_Ben :

Early 2013 typically means first quarter, so could be any time between January and March. Come Christmas time, more details on that should be available.

Customer:

Thank you. Christmas is really around the corner.

Techie_Ben :

You're very welcome. Yes, there will be tons of ads for Windows 8 and the Surface RT tablets very soon.

Customer:

By the way, will the mini USB/ethernet converter allow me to hook my xoom up to the internet by direct wiring?

Techie_Ben :

With the details of functionality not yet available, I would expect Xoom tethering to be available via the adapter although possibly not until the 2013 version

Customer:

Thank you. I appears that my current xoom will be good for many things but hooking up to the internet (wired) is not one of them.

Techie_Ben :

Yes, for sure the xoom will be very useful even without the ability to tether to ethernet.

Customer:

Thank you and goodbye