Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Engineer and Support Professional

Hi I have a HP pavillion dv 6000, the screen now stays black

Hi I have a HP pavillion dv 6000, the screen now stays black but I have gotten it to work before but doesn't anymore. When I turn it on it makes a long beep and two short beeps but fan is on

Thank you for the question. I have looked at the beep codes for this model, and the long beep followed by two short beeps means that a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information. An issue like this can be difficult to diagnose remotely, however there are also some LED codes that may tell us more. Can you see if any of the codes below are applicable to your situation? In most of the cases below however, you will need to replace hardware or bring in to a repair shop for further diagnostic. Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be more than happy to assist further. Thanks again!

LED Component Error Condition

Blinking battery power LED Battery Insufficient charge on the battery

Blink: 1 - Caps Lock/Num Lock CPU CPU not functional

Blink: 2 - Caps Lock/Num Lock BIOS BIOS corruption failure

Blink: 3 - Caps Lock/Num Lock Memory Module error not functional

Blink: 4 - Caps Lock/Num Lock Graphics Graphics controller not functional

Blink: 5 - Caps Lock/Num Lock System board General system board failure

Blink: 6 - Caps Lock/Num Lock BIOS BIOS authentication failure

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have put a pillow over the keyboard till its hot then turn of then back on and sometimes work fine
Does the machine feel hot when it is having the problem? It sounds like it may be an issue with one of the cooling fans and the machine is not proceeding with the boot process in order to protect itself from overheating.