Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Engineer and Support Professional
8287049

i have a toshiba laptop tht isnt rsponding. it is asking for

i have a toshiba laptop tht isnt rsponding. it is asking for a reboot disk and it didnt ccome with one so im trying to reset it back to factory setting. when i push f12 or f8 it still goes ack to the same sreen. can you help me get it back to factory settig?. thank you robin

Techie_Ben :

Thank you for the question. Using the F12 or F8 keys during startup will allow you to access other menus such as safe mode, but will not allow you to restore to factory settings without a restore disk. If you can tell me which model Toshiba you are using, I can point you in the direction to purchase a restore disk so you can restore to factory settings. I look forward to your response. Thanks again!

Customer:

model:pa3871v-1brs

Customer:

i have tried f12 and f8

Techie_Ben :

Thank you. You will need a restore disk rather than booting with F12 or F8

Techie_Ben :

I can locate this for you if you'd like?

Customer:

i can not get to any screen . when i start my laptop it goes right to the reboot screen

Techie_Ben :

It sounds like you need to boot from a restore disk in order to get back to the factory settings.

Customer:

ok so were do i go to buy a rstore disk?

Techie_Ben :

I can locate that for you if you can tell me the model number on the front of the machine. You stated pa3871v-1brs, but that does not seem to be a valid model number for Toshiba.

Customer:

toshiba L750 satelitte pro. does tht help?

Techie_Ben :

Yes, thank you. Please give me a minute or two.

Techie_Ben :

Are there any numbers after the L750, for example, something like this: L750-BT4N22

Customer:

no all i see is L750. model name is: PA3871V-1BRS..part number PSK1WV-04P048...Serial number; Z803922OW

Techie_Ben :

Ok, thanks

Techie_Ben :

Ok. You can order the CD from the Toshiba site by clicking here. You just need to start by entering your serial number that you just gave me.

Techie_Ben :

However, there is also a recovery option you can try in the mean time:

Techie_Ben :

1. Make sure the computer is turned off ("Shut-down" from the Windows Start menu)

2. Remove any peripherals such an external mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB flash drive etc.

3. Make sure the AC Adapter is plugged in and working.

4. Press and hold down the 0 (zero) key on the keyboard while powering on the computer. Release it when the recovery warning screen appears.

5. If the recovery process offers a choice of Operating Systems, select the appropriate one for you.

6. A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and rewritten.

7. Click Yes to continue.

8. When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens select "Recovery of Factory Software" or the appropriate option for your needs.

9. Continue to follow the directions restarting as necessary.

Customer:

i am trying tht now. can you hold?

Techie_Ben :

Yes, absolutely

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

no its still asking for a boot disk...bummer

Techie_Ben :

Darn, ok

. Some Toshiba models come with this features and others do not. You'll need to order the media from the link I gave you.

Customer:

ok, thank you for your help!

Techie_Ben :

You are very welcome. Please rate my answer "OK Service" or higher if you are satisfied with my service. Otherwise please let me know how I can help further. Thanks again!

Customer:

i will do tht for you, thanks again

This is the link to order the CD.