Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Engineer and Support Professional

How do I learn the basics about starting a blog? P.S. I am

How do I learn the basics about starting a blog? P.S. I am absolutely clueless about it. Cheers.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.

Techie_Ben :

Thank you for the question. It will be my pleasure to assist you with your question. Can you tell me what kind of blog you are trying to start?

Customer:

Just a low key personal one. Just as a hobby and to try something new. Maybe about gardening or writing poetry or something like that.

Techie_Ben :

Ok great. I use WordPress for my blog. It's very easy to use and free. Want to have a look at mine to see if that's something you'd be interested in using?

Customer:

Yes, sure. How do I find it?

Customer:

Does it have some kind of tutorial? WordPress I mean.

Techie_Ben :

Just click this link. The format and theme can be customized very easily, so if you want yours to be more colorful or a different layout, it's very easy to get started by just choosing one you like. Mine is fairly basic.

Techie_Ben :

Yes, there are Help pages for WordPress, but it is also fairly straight forward to get started.

Customer:

I've had a look at yours. I like the cleaness of it. Is WordPress the main free provider? Are there any others that you think are good?

Techie_Ben :

Yes, there is one other very popular blog available at www.blogger.com. I like WordPress more though, because it allows you to spend most of your time actually writing your articles rather than messing with the design aspects

of a web page.

Customer:

Great, thanks. And finally do you have any tips for a beginner?

Techie_Ben :

I'd suggest using the free Wordpress blog from www.wordpress.com first (before paying for features you don't need). Just click "Get Started" and register your ID and blog link. It will walk you through setting up your blog.

Techie_Ben :

You'll only need to pay for features if you need more storage, which is unlikely if you're just writing articles

Techie_Ben :

And make sure you're happy with the link name you choose, as it is difficult to change if you decide it is too long, or does not capture the nature of your blog.

Techie_Ben :

For example, don't call it poetry.wordpress.com if you think you might also be blogging about gardening too. Make the name more general.

Customer:

Great, thanks for the advice. I think that's enough to get me started. Thanks for your help.

Techie_Ben :

You're very welcome. Anything you need feel free to request me again and I'll be happy to assist!

Customer:

I will. Have a great day.

Techie_Ben :

Same to you. Please remember to rate my service as well.

Customer:

I will do that right now. Cheers again.

Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience: Software Engineer and Support Professional