Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.

I have been contacted by a company in India ( I think India)

I have been contacted by a company in India ( I think India) who said they were from Microsoft and wanted to give me protection for a price I found out becaue of all the hacking that was going on. I said yes but then I felt this was a sham. Is it one

Hi! My name isXXXXX look forward to assisting you! Do not forget to rate my answer quality before you go. Let's get started!

Any company that claims your computer is infected, has been sending errors, or claims to have any direct affiliation with Microsoft is a scam if they are calling you or somehow getting in touch with you to repair your computer, fix errors, or remove viruses. Chances are good that your computer is running just fine, and they will charge hundreds of dollars for services you do not need.

Please avoid dealing with these companies and inform them that you know they are a scam and that if they continue to call, you'll report them to the Internet Crime Bureau, which you can file a complaint with here:

If you already paid, then I would file a dispute with your credit card company.

Thank you.

Hi Cornelia

Thanks so much for viewing the answer and getting your concerns addressed; I see no rating was received, which is required.

Are you having a technical problem on your end? Please reply.