James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
24111805

My phone face says "no line". Ive had magic jack for about

My phone face says "no line". I've had magic jack for about a year. I remember the unit used to give off a small blue glow but not now. What do I do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Hi, is your magicjack plugged into your computer, or into a wall power outlet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

computer

Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Please disconnect it from the computer, and shut the computer down.
Power the computer up again and wait for it to boot.

Now connect the MJ to a different USB port. Wait a few minutes. Does the light turn blue again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i'm using the computer to talk to you and actually the jack is plugged into the att internet box

Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
The jack has a silver end to it - is it plugged into the computer right now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it's pluggeg into the at&t modum and the other line is plugged into the phone. it's worked for a year. should i reboot the modum?

Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Before that - is it also plugged into the wall (power outlet) ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it's plugged into the phone answering system which is plugged into an outlet

Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
The jack itself needs to be plugged into your computer OR a wall outlet - so it can get power.
Does it have a single silvery port, or two prongs that look like they should go into a wall socket?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes. the bottom of the jack is plugged into a surge which goes into the wall

Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Ok - good.
Now, disconnect the jack from everything. Plug it into the wall power only.
Does the light turn on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I see a small blinking light (no sloid blue) at the base of the jack which i saw before but phone still says "no line" . could the jack be defective?

Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Yes - that's possible. When was the last time you used it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

day or two ago

Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Take it out of the power socket. Wait 5 minutes, plug it back in.
What happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

nothing. no blinking blue light either.

Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Do you know how long ago you paid for the MJ, and for how long?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,around a year ago or so. i don't remember exactly.
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
And you paid for one year?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm paid up until dec. 2012 .

Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Ok - I'd like to get you a link to start a chat with a Magic Jack tech so you can get the unit replaced. It is certainly defective.
Will this be ok?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Sure.
Here is the link:

CHAT LINK

I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below.

If you feel unsatisfied with my service at all, please stop, DO NOT RATE and reply to me via the REPLY tab with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue our discussion and do everything I can to provide you with the excellent service you seek.

Thank you!

James.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

are majic jack techs on chat link

Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Yes - all you have to do is click the link, and fill in your name and number, and a tech will come online to help you get the MJ replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else please, and kindly don't forget to rate me using the faces below.

Thanks!
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience: 20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.