ITTechChris
ITTechChris, Technician
Experience:  6+ years of professional experience as a IT Technician
63401584

My emachine keeps turning on and off by itself. Can this be

My emachine keeps turning on and off by itself. Can this be fixed or do we need a new desk top?
Category: Computer
Expert:  ITTechChris replied 1 year ago.

ITTechChris :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer/Pearl, the highest ranked third party Q & A site in the world.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional technician here to provide you with my best professional knowledge possible and submitting it to you as an answer.

* Please remember to leave Only a Positive 4/5 Rating on My answer(s) when you are satisfied with my work helping you.

ITTechChris :

Is this Emachine

a laptop or desktop?

Customer:

A desktop

ITTechChris :

Ok I need you to open the side up so you will have access to the motherboard.

ITTechChris :

Are you talking to me on a different computer?

Customer:

OK - this may take a bit of time, as I have to disconnect the computer and find the screwdriver!! Can you wait?

ITTechChris :

Yes I can.

ITTechChris :

Customer:

Yes, I am talking to you on a different computer. What side to I take off? Take off whole case?

ITTechChris :

No, just the one with the default screws that can be unscrewed from the back. There is usually 2 screws or turn of screws.

Customer:

Chris, I removed the phillips screwdriver screws and the large twist ones, no screws holding the case but I cannot remove it. Any suggestions?

Customer:

Success! I'm looking at a bunch of wires. What next?

ITTechChris :

Do you know what ram is?

Customer:

I know it means random access memory, right?

ITTechChris :

It's memory, yes. Can you remove them please

Customer:

What does it look like?

ITTechChris :

Like in this picture

ITTechChris :

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/ca/Memory_module_DDRAM_20-03-2006.jpg/220px-Memory_module_DDRAM_20-03-2006.jpg
Full Size Image

Customer:

I have two strips. Just pull?

ITTechChris :

What you do is there is two clamps for each one, one on top, one on bottom. You move the clamps away from the ram then you pull out the ram quite easy.

Customer:

Done

ITTechChris :

Okay now plug in and turn on the computer. It should beep 3 times

Customer:

I disconnected the computer, so I guess I have to reconnect it first, right?

ITTechChris :

Correct

Customer:

When you say plug in, do you mean put the ram back on and turn on the computer or just turn on the computer?

ITTechChris :

Nope, just the cords.

Customer:

It is beeping happily, constantly, not just 3 times

ITTechChris :

Okay. Shut off (no need to unplug), put the ram back in carefully (make sure the clips pop back in) then turn on.

Customer:

Sorry to have taken so long. Much more difficult than taking out. When turned on it continues to beep. Does that mean that the ram is not properly in?

ITTechChris :

If it starts up it's ok.

Customer:

Hold on, I got to connect the monitor and the keyboard!! Will it continue to beep?

Customer:

When turned on it continues to beep and the message on the screen reads "Analog Power Saving Mode"

?

ITTechChris :

Does it boot to windows?

Customer:

No, it doesn't

ITTechChris :

Okay then yes, the ram is not in propery.

Customer:

Ahhh! Some frustration and two broken fingernails, Windows boots! Is that it fixed??

ITTechChris :

Yup you should be all good to go. :)

ITTechChris :

If you don't mind, please p

ress the 4 or 5/Smiley Face by My answer to show and rate that I have helped you. The rates go against my score, not JustAnswer. Bonus's are always appreciated.

After pressing a Smiley Face/4, 5 button, you can still post replies on this Q&A thread at no extra cost to you for any of your post-concerns. If you still have additional concerns, please don't hesitate to address them to me.

Thanks,
Chris

Customer:

Thanks Chris!

ITTechChris, Technician
Experience: 6+ years of professional experience as a IT Technician
It's looking as if this is a over heating problem. Please open up the computer and tell me.

1. Is there heavy dust in the fans?
2. The caps on the motherboard, are any of them 'bulging'?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There was some dust when I opened it first, but that was cleaned. I don't know what the "caps" are but everything in the motherboard appears to be flush.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chris,

You got my answer? Should I continue the session sometime tomorrow - have an appt. this afternoon so I must go. Can I have a number to get in touch with you tomorrow if necessary?

Thanks,

Please look at this caps and tell me if any of them on the motherboard is like it. (bulged, not flat)

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/elctronman/2010-07-19_161942_bulgingCap1.jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Chris!

I've checked the caps. They are all flat.

Where are you Chris? Anybody??

It's been 3 hrs. since my reply.

Great!

Lastly, does all of the fan(s) spin and is the power supply quite?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All the fans spin. Is the power supply quite what?? Is there a specific piece that I have to look at or are we talking about the power supply from the wall?

The power supply is what the cord connects into on the computer.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have anything exactly alike. My power supply has the cord to plug it in, has the fan and one plug (not two) facing out of the computer case, inside it is solid. There is a separate fan in a box close it, not on the side of the unit as shown. Your early reply say the power
quite (?) should that be quiet?

Yes, the fan(s) should be quite. If not it's usually a sign of failure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

The fan is quiet - just a murmur to it. The computer seems to be working now so maybe the combination of things did work. If not, we should be in touch again!!

Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving!

You are very welcome and you as well!