Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.

I have a simpletech hard drive model #96300 40001 001 and want

I have a simpletech hard drive model #96300 40001 001 and want to know if it will work with windows 7. I have the miniature cd disk that says storagesync professional edition backup v1.42 but my win 7 computer does not read it. Please advise. Thanks.
Hi! My name isXXXXX look forward to assisting you! Do not forget to rate my answer quality before you go. Let's get started!

Happy to help

That software is not required for operation of the drive; however, you're more than welcome to download it here:

Click the blue link that says STORAGESYNC BACKUP SOFTWARE VERSION 1.42.

Then open the compressed (ZIP) folder and then double-click on the program file and click Setup... then go through the short install process to get that software on your computer.

Keep in mind that you don't need a program like that; Windows already has backup software built into the operating system which you can check out more info about here:

Thank you.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The questions remain: why will my cd drive not read the mini-cd from SimpleTech and why will my computer (with Windows 7, 64 bit) not recognize the SimpleTech hard drive, on which I've stored copies of all my photos?

It's possible the CD is just defective or the version is older so it's not recognized by Windows 7.

Regarding the computer not recognizing the drive, you didn't mention that in your initial question.

Normally, I'd ask that you post a new question and pay for that new question since it wasn't part of your initial question, but i will give this information to you essentially for free and ask that you rate me positively.

Please go to Start menu --> RIGHT-click on Computer --> Manage

Select Disk Management on the left side

Do you see the drive listed there?

If not...

Please go to Start menu --> RIGHT-click on Computer --> Properties

Select Device Manager on the left side (or top for Windows XP)

Expand Disk drives

Do you see the drive listed there?

If not...

Then the drive has failed.

Your options are -

1) You can buy a new enclosure from any computer store for $15-$25. Then you'd remove the drive from the old enclosure and place it in that one... and that works a reasonable amount of the time. However, do note that this will void the warranty; only do this if you need to recover that data...

2) Ship the drive in if it's still under warranty to get a replacement drive for free or at a highly discounted price. However, if the drive is out of warranty, you'll need to simply purchase a replacement drive.

3) Purchase a replacement drive. Hard drives now are bigger and cheaper than they were before.