Danh
Danh, Senior Systems Administrator
Experience:  9 Years Systems Administrator
31918883

I have an external storage, my passport, and I can1 open it

I have an external storage, my passport, and I can'1 open it on my computer. It doen't show up on either of my computers. Can you give me some advice?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Danh replied 2 years ago.

when you plug it in, does the computer give any indication a usb device was plugged in?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, my computer pings when I plug in.

Expert:  Danh replied 2 years ago.
goto start ... in the search bar, type device manager ... then click on device manager. Once in there, click under disk drives and tell me what drives you have listed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In my devices screen I see the "My Passport 0730" but it has an exclamation mark on it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In my devices screen I see the "My Passport 0730" but it has an exclamation mark on it. I have one called WD My PassportXXXXX Does that help you?

Expert:  Danh replied 2 years ago.
Right click on the disk and choose update driver ... see if that does anything.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I updated drivers successfully but I stil can't see the dvice in 'my computer" to open it.

Expert:  Danh replied 2 years ago.
so is the exclamation gone from the drive in device manager?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it is gone now.

Expert:  Danh replied 2 years ago.

Great..so now, goto start and type disk management ... then click on create and format hard disk partitions that shows up in the results

Once disk management is loaded ... do you see a disk in the drive list that doesn't have a drive letter?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, i'm a little scared here to do a format thing cause I'm not really understanding what I'm looking at here in the disk manager. It seems all I am seeing is os(c) and Recovery and that isn't my external.

Expert:  Danh replied 2 years ago.
No...not looking to format anything..disk manager shows all the drives that the system can see. If it's not showing your drive there, then you wouldn't see it in My Computer. Let's go ahead and now disconnect the USB drive from the computer ... then plug it back in and let me know if it shows up in disk management.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No it hasnt shown up anyplace that I can see.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,

Expert:  Danh replied 2 years ago.

While in disk management, click under action and choose rescan disks ... see if it shows up after that

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
, ,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In Device Manager there is a "WD Drive Management Device" and within that is a WD SES Device. I don't know if that is it or not but my device is a "WD" Still not showing in my computer tho.

Expert:  Danh replied 2 years ago.

click here:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5419/~/wd-ses-driver-download-and-instructions-for-recovering-the-wd-smartware

Download the version for you computer (32 or 64 bit) and run the setup. That should install the SES driver.

Danh, Senior Systems Administrator
Experience: 9 Years Systems Administrator