JustinDS
JustinDS, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Degree in Electronics Technology and CompTIA A+ certified

How do I get rid of ArcadeCandy.com that continues to use pop-ups

Customer Question

How do I get rid of ArcadeCandy.com that continues to use pop-ups to try to redirect me to unwanted sites?
Category: Computer
Expert:  JustinDS replied 1 year ago.

JustinDS :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to Just Answer!

JustinDS :

I believe if remembering correctly this is a form of Adware/Spyware. I can help you in the removal of this.

JustinDS :

Let me ask you a quick question. Do you have any experience with the Windows Registry?

Customer:

Hello Justin,

I am trying to get rid of ArcadeCandy.com a particularly annoying pop-up intruder. How can I do this?

Barbara

JustinDS :

Okay if you don't mind can we run a few scans on your computer? I would like to try to avoid digging in the registry until the last if possible.

Customer:

Barbara says:

Go for it!

JustinDS :

Malwarebytes

Can I get you to download this program and install it from the link? We will perform a quick scan.

JustinDS :

Note:

We will have to restart your computer at least once during the process and you can just navigate back to this page to continue troubleshooting the issue.

Customer:

Justin, I already have Malwarebytes and have just run it. Came back negative for malware.

JustinDS :

Oh okay then, have you ran anything else?

Customer:

No but I can run McAfee if you wish.

JustinDS :

No that is fine, thanks.

JustinDS :

Can click start > computer > C: drive > Users

JustinDS :

Please let me know once here, if you have any trouble let me know.

Customer:

Have done so.

JustinDS :

Okay do you see your name/user account? If so please open this folder.

Customer:

Have done so.

JustinDS :

Okay in upper left hand corner can you click organize > Folder and search options > View tab.

Customer:

OK

JustinDS :

From here can you double check that the Show hidden files, folders, and drives option is selected. If not please select it and click ok.

Customer:

OK

JustinDS :

Okay under your user folder we had pulled up you should now see a folder called AppData, please open this.

JustinDS :

Then open the Local Folder.

JustinDS :

From here you should now see a folder called ArcadeCandy, please delete this folder.

Customer:

Opened it

Customer:

Done

JustinDS :

Okay is the ArcadeCandy folder deleted?

JustinDS :

Okay great, there is still more we have to do.

JustinDS :

Hold down your Windows key and press R. You should see a run box.

Customer:

I have 2 sites - Arcade Candy & Arcade Web

JustinDS :

You can delete both folders out of there.

JustinDS :

Tell me once you have the run box open.

Customer:

It is open

JustinDS :

Okay type regedit and press enter.

JustinDS :

You should now have the registry editor open correct?

Customer:

yes

JustinDS :

Okay I am going to lay out some steps that need to be done.

JustinDS :

1. In Registry Editor Click Edit and click Find.

2. Type candyEX.dll and click Find next.

3. Delete any entry it finds

4. Click Edit click Find Next and continue to delete additional entries

5. Repeat step 4 until it no longer finds any more entries containing candyEX.dll

JustinDS :

Let me know if you need assistance or when this is complete.

JustinDS :

I apologize if the process seems like a bit of a hassle, but it is necessary in order to remove this from your computer completely.

Customer:

Last message said I could not erase all data pertaining to file - I did erase 3 of 4

JustinDS :

Okay we need to repeat the above steps now and instead of candyEX.dll we need to search for {AB6BD08C-DB6B-4F02-8A22-4BD343E990FF}

JustinDS :

After this we will need to restart the computer, if you like we can bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to this chat. If after you do this you fee I have been helpful in solving your issue please rate me positively, it is greatly appreciated.

Customer:

Windows cannot find AB6 etc

JustinDS :

Okay that is fine, can we go ahead and try the restart now?

JustinDS :

If you like we can bookmark this page for easy access.

JustinDS :

Hello, welcome back!

Customer:

I did not get a chance to rate you as excellent.

JustinDS, Computer Specialist
Experience: Degree in Electronics Technology and CompTIA A+ certified