Hans Uebelhoer
Hans Uebelhoer, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Associates in Computer Sciences ; Cisco Product Expert.
29701876

Black Screen of Death on my ASUS Ultrabook purchased this past

Customer Question

Black Screen of Death on my ASUS Ultrabook purchased this past April 2012
Category: Computer
Expert:  Hans Uebelhoer replied 2 years ago.

Hans Uebelhoer :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today. Please let me know wh

en you are ready to start.

Customer:

Hi I am ready now

Hans Uebelhoer :

Ok great, now you said this has happene

d twice. Was this all in one day?

Customer:

No, the first time it happened it was for a valid reason. my Ultrabook was not connected to a power source for two days [2 weeks ago], today it had a 99% power supply.

Hans Uebelhoer :

Ok this is almost always related to a memory issue, and possibly a hard drive issue.

Hans Uebelhoer :

Do you remember

what the error message was ?

Customer:

Oh oh.... that doesnt sound good at all... Error Message said something about Windows did not shutdown properly because ???? Do you want to start Windows in [3 different modes were offered] or Start Windows normally. I chose to start Windows normally

Hans Uebelhoer :

Oh, I see I thought the screen was completely black with an error code. That screen is completely different

Hans Uebelhoer :

There is nothing to worry about with that screen

Hans Uebelhoer :

That screen is due to windows being shut down incorrectly

Customer:

No it just shuts down but no error message, I was browsing UPS Website and everything went BLACK, but I did not choose to Shutdown

Hans Uebelhoer :

OK, here is what very likely happened. I will expalin

Customer:

OK

Customer:

So a true Black Screen of Death has an error code associated with it?

Hans Uebelhoer :

Yes and your computer would most likely not start back up normally like it did

Hans Uebelhoer :

What likely happened here is that your windows updates restarted your computer

Customer:

I dont remember choosing an option to Update Windows automatically though

Hans Uebelhoer :

Did you turn it off

Hans Uebelhoer :

Becuase its selected by default

Customer:

Can you guide me to check it?

Hans Uebelhoer :

lets check that.

Customer:

Thank you kindly

Hans Uebelhoer :

Your welcome no problem at all. Give me a moment to type up the steps

Hans Uebelhoer :

Click on start > click on control panel > click on system and security > Click on Windows Update > then click on Change Settings on the left > now you will see what setting its set for. If it says automatically install you can change that if you want to.

Customer:

It says: "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"

Hans Uebelhoer :

Ok then something else caused it to restart such as a program.

Customer:

Updates were installed 8/24/2012 at 6:20pm

Hans Uebelhoer :

give me one moment

Customer:

Most recent check for updates: Today at 9:17AM

Hans Uebelhoer :

Random re-boots are a difficult thing to trace as the actual event does not give the operating system time to react and write an error message - you may find some clues in the Event manager - but this may be misleading as the actual cause of the re-boot is rarely logged.

Hans Uebelhoer :

but lets see if there is anything ther

Hans Uebelhoer :

there

Customer:

But you dont think that it is anything serious right? Since there was no associated Error Code? Or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

Hans Uebelhoer :

deffinatley not a issue. That is a normal start up scre

en when a computer gets shut down differently or if F8 is pressed when starting up.

Customer:

Could it be a Virus? I have Trend Micro Titanium installed... I did sweep for Viruses recently and none were found

Customer:

I am using a second screen [Samsung]

Hans Uebelhoer :

Normally a virus would not shut down your computer. Are you experiencing any slowness

Customer:

Nothing noticeable

Hans Uebelhoer :

ok if you had a virus you would notice it. If you want I can provide you a download of a free program that you can use to scan your computer for Malware. This tool is different than normal antivirus as you only use this tool to make a single scan with the intent to to find and remove malware or a virus. This

tool does not run on its own.

Hans Uebelhoer :

lets also check your even viewer

Hans Uebelhoer :

give me one momeont

Customer:

I am looking at my Security Logs and all that I can see are a bunch of Cookies that were removed.

Hans Uebelhoer :

ok that is normal

Customer:

Were you thinking of something like an AVG Stinger?

Hans Uebelhoer :

possibly

Hans Uebelhoer :

lets check you event viewer first and see if it shows anything

Hans Uebelhoer :

click on start > then type event Viewer

Hans Uebelhoer :

Next click on event Viewer from the list

Hans Uebelhoer :

Next expand windows Logs on the left of that new page

Hans Uebelhoer :

Now click ON application now scroll down to the time when this happened and see if you see any errors right around the same time that it restarted

Customer:

OK I am there now Error 9/4/2012 9:25:22 PM Application Error 1000 (100)

Customer:

So you were correct, it was an Application Error

Customer:

Error 9/4/2012 9:01:33 PM Application Error 1000 (100)

Customer:

Error 9/4/2012 8:36:51 PM SideBySide 80 None

Hans Uebelhoer :

what does it say under source for that error

Customer:

Right up there "Error 9/4/2012 8:31:07 PM Application Error 1000 (100)"

Customer:

Source is Application Error

Hans Uebelhoer :

The event viewer can very cumbersome as it shows every little tiny error, and even on a normal working computer

there can be many errors a day caused by different things.

Customer:

Error 9/4/2012 8:25:00 PM EventSystem 4622 Event Service

Hans Uebelhoer :

what time was it when it restarted

Customer:

Around 9:00pm

Customer:

Oh yeah, the Application was Yahoo Messenger so that was not it...

Customer:

Hans Uebelhoer :

yeah those errors your seeing are just general errors

Hans Uebelhoer :

nothign to worry about at all

Customer:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Designer 8.2\FormDesigner.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_fa396087175ac9ac.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_

Hans Uebelhoer :

Are those all the errors you see aroudn that time

Customer:

Yes

Hans Uebelhoer :

Ok, I can say with great certainty that in my professional opinion your there is nothing wrong with your computer. However,,,

Customer:

The COM+ Event System could not marshal the subscriber for subscription {BC4AE1F2-3337-4F2F-8136-C073E6434946}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}. The HRESULT was 80010100.

Hans Uebelhoer :

That is just a port error nothing out of the normal

Hans Uebelhoer :

You would be surprised now many normal errors there are in windows.

Customer:

OK, glad that you dont think there is anything fatally wrong with my Ultrabook. Did you say F8 could cause it to Shutdown abruptly?

Hans Uebelhoer :

No actually when you start up your notebook and you press F8 during startup you will see that black menu screen

Hans Uebelhoer :

What I want you to do is just continue to watch the computer over the next couple days. If for some reason you see this happen again and its not due to the computer being unplugged or battery dying (as this is the primary cause of this) please let me know. Even after our chat is over you can still get back to me any time and I will tell you how

Customer:

Oh OK Thank You. XXXXX mentioned previously, the 1st time it happened it was valid due to the battery not being charged for 2-3 days.

Hans Uebelhoer :

Your very welcome, please come see me at this link if you have any other issues http://www.justanswer.com/computer/73rcw-black-screen-death-asus-ultrabook-purchased-past.html. It was nice working with you and do not worry those errors and the black screen are nothing to worry about.

Hans Uebelhoer :

If you see anything else happen let me know. Please remember before you go to use that Rating System to rate my services today. I will keep my eye open for any responses from you if you have any other questions on this.

Customer:

I am just Paranoid because I paid so much for this Laptop. Thank you again for reassuring me that all is good. You have been Excellent

Hans Uebelhoer :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX completely understand the notebook is very expensive. Have a great night.

Customer:

I have already sellected "Excellent Service" just need to press Submit

Customer:

Good night and thank you again....

Hans Uebelhoer, Computer Specialist
Experience: Associates in Computer Sciences ; Cisco Product Expert.