Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer

HOW do wipe my computer clean and start over

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Do you have your Windows XP installation CD? Or a set of Recovery Discs?
Also, please tell me the exact make and model of your computer like Lenovo G460. Is it a laptop or a desltop?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

dell inspiron windows xp Dell Inspiron 1501 i have Boot Medium,Reoveay Disc 1 and 2

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have Recovery Disks

Expert:  Jess replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information.

First, let us restore your computer to its out-of-the-box state. Please do the following steps:
  1. Turn on the computer.
  2. During the boot process, a blue bar with www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.
  3. Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>. (That means press Ctrl key then hold then press F11 then release the 2 keys)
  4. If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish starting, and then restart the computer again. Then try pressing <Ctrl><F11> again in good timing.
  5. On the next screen that appears, click Restore.
  6. On the next screen, click Confirm.
  7. The restore process takes approximately 6–10 minutes to complete.
  8. When prompted, click Finish to reboot the computer.
    NOTE: Do not manually shut down the computer. Click Finish and let the computer completely reboot.
  9. When prompted, click Yes.
  10. The computer restarts. Because the computer is restored to its original operating state, the screens that appear, such as the End User License Agreement, are the same ones that appeared the first time the computer was turned on.
  11. Click Next.
  12. The System Restore screen appears and the computer restarts.
  13. After the computer restarts, click OK.

Please be sure to rate my answer with 3 or more stars/faces if this helped. Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further. If you have further question, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i cant get the blue bar i just now started to woking rebooting give little more time

i still cant get the blue bar Mike

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

,

i still cant get the blue bar I have been all this turning on and off still cant get the blue bar to come up need more help . Mike

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jess i can not get computer to what you tloed me to do i am trying to reboot and make like it was out of the

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jess are you sill thear and can you help me

Expert:  Jess replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike,

Thank you for writing back and I am sorry for the late reply. I am living in a different time zone.

Have you tried pressing Ctrl then hold, then pressinf F11 when your computer boots? Try to do it again. When you boot the computer, press and hold the Ctrl key, then keep tapping F11 until you get a good timing to start the restore function.

If the computer boots normally and loads Windows instead, please restart it again then test pressing Ctrl+F11 key. Also when the system boots, press the ESC key then press Ctrl+F11 and see if it works that way.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that still wont work it is now 10.02 am i will be gone till about 1:00 pm ma be we can try smothin els

MIKE

Expert:  Jess replied 1 year ago.
When you boot the computer, please try to press Del or F2 to enter the BIOS screen. Please tell me when you are in the BIOS screen.

You need to set you Boot Order or Boot Sequence to boot into the CD/DVD ROM first.

Let me know.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am in Phoenix BIOS Setup Utility and in boot

Expert:  Jess replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike,

Thank you for writing back. Is the computer that you are trying to Factory Reset running Windows XP or Windows Vista?

For Windows XP computers, you need to press Ctrl + F11 during boot time, like the ones I already gave you. Please give it a try again pressing Ctrl+F11 when you restart the computer then see if you will get the Restore screen. It is like when you reboot the computer, while the screen is black, press and hold the Ctrl key, then keep tapping or pressing the F11 key (do not hold the F11 key, just press press press while the Ctrl key is held) while the Ctrl key is held.

Now if it still does not work, or if you are using Windows Vista in the problem computer, Ctrl+F11 will not work. Press F8 instead. After pressing and repeated pressing of F8 key while your system is booting up, you will see the Advanced Boot options. Please click on this link for more information.

Restoring Vista Computer

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jess are you still around I do have Windows XP that is what all the sticers all say my spelling is not the best I have tryed holding down the ctrl and taping the F11 key I be hear the rest of the day

Expert:  Jess replied 1 year ago.
Press the right ALT key and keep it pressed.
Turn ON the computer
Immediately tap or keep prissing the F11 key while ALT is pressed
See then if you get the recovery screen.

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am in the BIOS setup utility

Expert:  Jess replied 1 year ago.
OK. Were you able to set the boot order to FIRST boot in the CD/DVD rom? If it is so, please load disc 1 in your recovery disc then restart the computer. Then see if recovery starts from the disc 1.

If not, try the Alt+F11 again.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

alt didnot work I have been getting a beeping when ail or ctrl nothing sems to work

what next nothing is working I loaded disc 1 and nothing happened I do not understand it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

noththing si working to well right now what do think

Expert:  Jess replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike,

What exactly is the label of your discs there? (The 2 recovery discs that you mentioned).
Also, in your BIOS, did you set CD/DVD ROM as the FIRST boot device?

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jess I have been bown sick.The Disc I have came with the computer when i got it thay say Recoveary Disc ! and 2 and Boot Medium i also have Windows XP home Edition also Microsft Office XP small Business aso when in BIOS, I think set CD/DVD Rom it dos not say just like that but very simalar

MIKE

Expert:  Jess replied 1 year ago.
Mike,

Please load the Disc 1 and then restart the computer. Then see if the recovery starts. If it does not start, you have the option to repair-install Windows XP if that Windows XP Home Edition is the one installed in the computer now.

Please do a Repair-Install and not a clean install. The reason for this is that Repair install will reinstall Windows only, all of your files and programs will remain intact.

For more information, please click on this link:
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jess i have tryed evrthing you have told me to do but nothing is working howcome i need help how shoud i ask next.

MIKE

Expert:  Jess replied 1 year ago.
Mike,

Have you tried the Repair-Install? Did it work or did it not work?

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes i put in the recovery disc # 1 and tryed #2 and tryed the Boot Medium disc and nothing hapend i am now runing Memory test that will take about 15 mins to complet. when i use F12 a reboot comes up but i canet go any farler then that no mater what i push as far as the keys go.i am not sure what heck i am doing i still need help it cant be that hard to re boot is it.

MIKE

Expert:  Jess replied 1 year ago.
Mike,

You mentioned that you have Windows XP home Edition. Please use this disc to follow the procedures in the Repair Install of Windows XP. Here are the steps:

If your Windows XP disc is bootable and the computer did not boot from the disc, then please go to your BIOS screen again using F2 or Del and set the first boot device to be the CD/DVD drive.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got it to reboot but it rebooted with all my program I wounted cleam them off and start over like iwas going to the comouter to some one and all my thing s are off it.I still cont get my information off of it

MIKE

Expert:  Jess replied 1 year ago.
Mike,

Did you go to the BIOS through Del or F2 and set the first boot device to be the CD/DVD ROM?

Also, when you restart the computer with the Windows XP CD in the drive, did you get the prompt in the black screen that says "Press any key to boot from CD..."?

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok i am in PhoenixBISO Setup Utility i hav 7 choises 1 is Fixed Disk: WDC WD1200BRVS-22USTO-(S1)

2 USB KEY:

3 USB HDD:

4 ATAPI CD-ROM: HL.-DT DVD+/-RW-(PM)

5 USB FDC:

6 USB LS120:7 PCI BEV: Broadcom PXE

Expert:  Jess replied 1 year ago.
Mike,

Thank you for that information.

Now, please set the FIRST (#1) boot device to be ATAPI CD-ROM: HL.-DT DVD+/-RW-(PM). Then Save and Exit. (It is normally pressing the F10 key to Save and Exit)

Now, load the Windows XP Home CD then restart the computer.

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did just what you said to do and rebootted just the some .This time Runner Error box comes up Invalid Blackwed application id "7288971"

MIKE

Expert:  Jess replied 1 year ago.
Mike,

Before you get that error, did you see the black screen prompting "Please press any key to boot from CD..."?

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no i did not

Expert:  Jess replied 1 year ago.
Did you set the FIRST boot to ATAPI CD-ROM: HL.-DT DVD+/-RW-(PM)?

OK, this time, please boot normally to your Windows. Then load Disc 1 in your Recovery CD. Then follow the on screen procedures to restore the system using the 2 recovery discs..

Keep me posted.
Jess