technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant
Experience:  20 years experience. B.S. Computer Science
65369237

My Dell desktop wont recognize the new Comcast cable modem

My Dell desktop won't recognize the new Comcast cable modem installed yesterday.
Category: Computer
Expert:  technicalcat replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using this service,

Are you connecting the modem with the ETHERNET cable? This looks like a large phone cable. It is not the USB cable (with metallic ends).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, using an ethernet cable.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I plug the cable into my HP laptop, it lights up green and works fine. I changed ISP's from AT&T to Comcast yesterday and the Dell desktop no longer receives a signal.

With the cable modem plugged in, please click start, then run, then in the box that follows type
cmd
and hit enter.

you will get a black command prompt box. In this box, type
ipconfig
and hit enter
Tell me what it says after you type ipconfig.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection &

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection 2

both say: Media State....: Media disconnected

Kurt,

That is a pretty sure test result of a bad cable or bad ethernet adapter. Double check your connection at the back of the computer , and at the cable modem. If you have used the same ethernet cable on another computer with success, then the cable is OK.

Now, when you plug the cable into your dektop, there is usually a very small (probably green) led you will see when you plug it in. If it is dark back there, and you see no light, that is even further confirmation of a bad adapter. However, even if you do see a light, the adapter will still likely be bad if windows is reporting disconnected.

If this is a desktop computer (traditional full size case) you may be able to add an ethernet card in order to fix the problem. For a laptop, you'll need a USB ethernet adapter. Both of these items are readily available , and fairly low cost. If you want a link to the correct product, you can send me back the make/model of this computer and I will respond with a product link.

Note: I continue to help for no additional fee after positive rating. This does not cost you anything more to do, and a positive rating helps me. Thank You.
technicalcat, Consultant
Experience: 20 years experience. B.S. Computer Science
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Appreciate your help. I can take it from here. Is this just a one-time $19 charge to my credit card?

Kurt,

I do not charge you anything, and just work here, for positive ratings. However, I'm sure you will only be charged for whatever you agreed to with just answer.

Thank you for the positive rating, and please request me in any computer questions you may have in the future by putting "FORCustomerONLY" as the first three words of the new question.

Thanks for using Just Answer!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks!