authentech
authentech, Systems Admin
Experience:  I am a MS Certified Systems Engineer
58460175

My G series laptop (G570) wont power on all the way. The

My G series laptop (G570) won't power on all the way. The popwer light is on and two of the white indicator lights but no screen power. Fan is running. Never done this before and computer is only about 8 months old. Tried holding power button on until it powered off completely. Left it off for a few minutes and tried again. Nothing. Help!!!!

authentech :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to assist you with this.

authentech :

First, take out the battery.

authentech :

Then unplug the power adapter from the wall. Zero power. Yes I know.

authentech :

Now hold the power button for 1 minute. Nothing should happen...but do it anyway.

authentech :

This clears out the internal battery.

authentech :

Now, using the power adapter only and leaving the battery unplugged, please try turning the laptop on.

authentech :

You can reply by typing in the bottom right corner box and press Reply or Enter to post your comments

Customer:

Did all the steps. The same thing is happening. There is a small clicking noise a few seconds after I power it on. The fan also seems to pause. It then resumes running but only the white power light and one indicator light on the side are on.

authentech :

clicking is bad.

authentech :

I'll be honest.

authentech :

Let's hope your memory is just not seated. I'm going to recommend that you re-seat the memory.

authentech :

You will unplug it from power again. Then check the bottom of the laptop. There should be a door that you can get to the memory (RAM) with. It's usually about the size of your thumb

authentech :

Have you replaced memory before or reseated memory before?

Customer:

Never, but I am willing to try. When I got home I turned it on as usual. It worked fine. I did not sit down immediately and came back after twenty minutes. It went into power saving mode. The white power button was flashing. Normally, just pushing it again starts it up. It did not and here is where I am. Walk me through it please.

authentech :

ok so remove the door as I described. Then you will see one or two memory sticks. They have catches or releases on either side. if you put a little pressure away from the memory stick, you will pop it up to a 45 degree angle from the laptop. You will then pull it out in that same angle. If you have two...do the same for both. See this video for a demonstration

authentech :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs5i4zAKojM

authentech :

pop them out. Put them back in. Then replace the door. Next, using the power adapter only, try to turn on the laptop.

authentech :

MAke sure they are all the way seated against the motherboard before you push them back down into place.

Customer:

Working on it.

authentech :

ok

authentech :

hows it going?

authentech :

watch the video?

Customer:

Nope...nothing. Got them out and re-seated against the motherboard. Same issue.

authentech :

ok. Same thing...go back to the memory sticks. Are there two?

authentech :

IF so, take them out one at a time. Leave it out. Start the computer with just one of the sticks in. If it doesn't turn on...pull the one you have still in there out, and put the other one in.

authentech :

See if it starts with just one or the other in there.

authentech :

Last, try it with just the battery and not the power adapter at all. And try a different power outlet as well.

Customer:

Yes...one was on top and slightly back from the other. Will work on it now.

authentech :

ok

Customer:

Tried both ways, with battery only and with different outlet. Nothing.

authentech :

Ok. Last thing you can try is leaving the battery out and power out for a couple of hours. Then see if magically it works. It's unlikely, but I've seen them just overheat and nothing but time can solve that. Otherwise it sounds like your motherboard may have fried out.

authentech :

The good news is this doesn't mean anything is wrong with your hard drive so your data is probably fine. But if it's only 8 months old it should be under warranty.

authentech :

You can wait to see if it works later or tomorrow. IF not, I would try a warranty request.

Customer:

I will try that. Thank you for your efforts.

authentech :

Please rate my answer below not on the results of a hardware problem, but on my willingness to help you. :) Smiley faces are preferred. Thanks for trying JustAnswer and I wish you the best of luck.