Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Experience:  Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
2888018

acer support My Acer Aspire One shows "Missing Operating System"

Customer Question

acer support
My Acer Aspire One shows "Missing Operating System" when I turn it on. I can access "Bios" by pushing f2 just after pressing the on button. I did make a repair cd and have it now but do not know just how to proceed. I have a cd player that I used to make the disc and can attach it to the netbook. I just do not know what steps to take and how to manipulate within the bios. Please help me restore the machine. thanks!
(Tell Us More or Submit Now to Talk to a Professional)
Category: Computer
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Greetings.

The Aspire One series should have a recovery partition. To access it, at the acer logo screen when you first start it up, hold down ALT and with alt still held down, press F10. This should bring you to the factory restoration that should allow you to bring your system back to "like new condition". You may want to tap the f10 key a few times with ALT held down to trigger it.

If you can get that far, you're good to go.

If not, and you created a boot disc to restore, there's multiple options to access it. I'm assuming you have an external cdrom/dvdrom drive. Plug it in, and then access the bios via f2. You're looking for boot order. Change the boot order (usually with the + and - keys) to bring the cdrom/USB external to top of the list to make them boot priority.

Alternatively, you can access the "choose boot order" at the acer logo screen by tapping the the F12 key. This should stop the machine from booting and ask you which device you would like to boot off of, which in this case would be cdrom/usb/removable media.

I've had issues on this model getting the f12 function key to work, but I know that you can change the boot order inside the BIOS on it. Just remember to save your settings when exiting the bios. The switch can be changed at any time as well, so no harm will come of it.

Furthermore, leaving the cdrom as the primary boot order is fine as well, since it will move on to the next boot device if the cdrom isn't present anyway.

Let me know the results.

Please read: Remember to use the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button for clarification/additional information until you are fully satisfied with my assistance. Only then you should rate my answer and click Submit. You do not need to rate to reply to me if follow up is needed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I received your instructions and was able to use f2 to go to bios. I had trouble at first to get the downloads to move to the top of the list as you had instructed. I had to read the instructions on the computer several times to learn how to move the boot order as you directed.

The computer is now going through the prompts to repair the "missing operating system."

Will get back once I have everything restored.

S. Fields

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good. Keep me posted
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I now have a screen that says CD Drive (F) Repair disc Windows 7 32 Bit
then in the body it has boot, sources, and bootmgr all dated 9/14/2011. I
am stuck at this point. Help!

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Did you boot from the repair CD or the alt f10, recovery? Ideally you wanted the recovery.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am still trying to get this computer restored. It keeps going back to the boot menu and then loops back again.

I stopped trying but will try again later today or tomorrow. I will let you know how it works out.

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
I need you to be a bit more clear.

Have you gotten the ALT + F10 recovery to work?

Or are you trying to load this from disc still? A "repair" isn't going to cut it, we're looking for a recovery/restoration.