romr2009
romr2009, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  32 years practical systems experience: computer/phone, automotive, appliance, & electrical control
24179821

my save icon (small blue spinning circle) continuously goes

Customer Question

my 'save' icon (small blue spinning circle) continuously goes on and off while computer is on. Does not have to be saving it comes on and off constanty even when suring or whatever task is enjoined.
Category: Computer
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 2 years ago.

DrKlahn :

Good morning. Thanks for using JustAnswer, the internet's independent site for Q&A consultation. I'm XXXXX XXXXX, XXXXXnamed "DrKlahn."

DrKlahn :

Notice / disclosure: JustAnswer is a commercial Q&A site which is not associated with any computer hardware or software company.

DrKlahn :

Good morning. Is chat working properly at your end of this connection?

JACUSTOMER-3qtvntt8- :

yes

DrKlahn :

Thank you. The fact that the 'wait' icon is coming up frequently suggests that the system is busy with other tasks hiding in the background. This is a significant possibility when an intrusive antivirus such as Norton or McAfee is installed, for example.

DrKlahn :

May I ask what antivirus is installed on the system?

JACUSTOMER-3qtvntt8- :

McAfee

DrKlahn :

Thank you. For the moment, let us put that on the shelf as a possible action item for later on.

DrKlahn :

I would like you to download and run a Microsoft utility that reveals what is running automatically when the system is started up. The utility is called Autoruns, and it is very useful in these cases to see if the problem is due to a process running hidden in the background.

DrKlahn :

Autoruns can be downloaded at the following Microsoft web page:

DrKlahn :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

DrKlahn :

On a healthy Windows system, only a few things should be running at startup, as shown in the image below:

DrKlahn :

Full Size Image

DrKlahn :

Can you download and install Autoruns at this time?

JACUSTOMER-3qtvntt8- :

I give it a go.

DrKlahn :

If you run into any issues, don't hesitate to ask for help. I'll hold while you download and install it.

JACUSTOMER-3qtvntt8- :

here's my ? the prompt to switch sites states that I will lose this page. if so, how do we reestablish commo?

DrKlahn :

Instead of left-clicking on the link to open it, right-click on it instead and select "Open in a new tab." This will leave this window open and bring the link up in a new tab.

JACUSTOMER-3qtvntt8- :

I have tried highlighting the link you listed and rt clk goes to a list of accelerators...do I need to copy and paste in browser? no 'open tab' prompt comes up regardless of what I do

DrKlahn :

I see. One moment and I will try to reinsert the link in a different format.

DrKlahn :

Clicking this link should force the browser to open a new page with the Autoruns download page in it.

JACUSTOMER-3qtvntt8- :

ok I opened a zip file to my d/ls what should i do now?

DrKlahn :

Double-click on the file and select "Extract all." This should result in a new folder with the Autoruns files in it.

JACUSTOMER-3qtvntt8- :

well I guess I'm doing this correctly...the file I downloaded is a huge list of pretty much all of my computer files etc

DrKlahn :

Look in the folder where the Autoruns zip file was downloaded. There should now be a folder in it labeled Autoruns. Is it present?

JACUSTOMER-3qtvntt8- :

mostly software listings. nothing saying 'autorun' some run some say toolbar, services, etc.

DrKlahn :

Thank you. I am reformulating the instructions for downloading Autoruns for more clarity. Please bear with me a bit while I rewrite them.

DrKlahn :

Please try these instructions.

DrKlahn :

How to obtain Microsoft Autoruns

Microsoft Autoruns can be downloaded from the Microsoft Technet web site at the following link:

Click the "Download Autoruns and Autorunsc" link. When asked what to do with the ZIP file, select "Save to disk" or "Save file" and choose any convenient folder.

After downloading the ZIP file, locate it and double-click on it. This will produce a new file menu. Under the File option at upper left, select "Extract All." Extract the files to the same folder the ZIP file is in.

After extraction, there should be a new folder named "Autoruns" in the same folder that the ZIP file was saved into. Open the Autoruns folder and look for the file named autoruns.exe. This is the Autoruns program and it can be run immediately without installation.

JACUSTOMER-3qtvntt8- :

ok, I apologize for my slowness I'm just an old retired Army Colonel not well versed in automation...I'll give it a shot now

DrKlahn :

Not a problem, sir. Proceed at your own pace.

JACUSTOMER-3qtvntt8- :

ok, i have done this a number of times and once i extract the file here is what's listed:

?autorun

JACUSTOMER-3qtvntt8- :

have done this a few times, here's what I get

DrKlahn :

That should be the folder. Double-click on the folder and it should contain four files, one of which is 'autorun.exe'.

JACUSTOMER-3qtvntt8- :

files that are listed are ?autorun, autoruns,autorunsc and Eula no exe

JACUSTOMER-3qtvntt8- :
DrKlahn :

Aha. You are seeing the files in icon view, not detail view. Go up to the top of the window, click on the "Option" tab, and click on "Details" in the drop-down menu. The display will change to show the files by name.

JACUSTOMER-3qtvntt8- :

have found listed : ?autorun; autoruns; autorunsc and Eula no exe.

JACUSTOMER-3qtvntt8- :

I can no longer communicate with you

DrKlahn :

OK. Let's pause for a moment and consider the situation.

DrKlahn :

This is the first step in a series of equally difficult troubleshooting tools, and we have not got the first tool running yet. There are about four more I normally use to look for this type of problem.

DrKlahn :

At the rate we are going, I fear I am wasting your time. I think you would be better served by one of our experts who is permitted to remotely access customer computers directly. Regretfully, I do not have this privilege. If an expert can have a look at your computer directly, the problem should be resolvable quickly. However, at this rate we will be all day and your problem will still not be solved.

DrKlahn :

I am going to pass this question back to the available question list so that another expert can assist you with it. When the question is picked up by the next expert, specify that you want an expert who is allowed to use remote access. This will prevent further waste of your time.

JACUSTOMER-3qtvntt8- :

regardless of how I do it I do get what appears to be auto run files listing but again it is an exhaustive list with the first entry being HKLM startup programs w/ a rdpclp line highlighted in yello and the lsit goes on from there to HKLM/version/run etc

DrKlahn :

I regret that we were not able to solve this issue immediately, but I have high hopes that another expert will be able to do so.

DrKlahn :

When the question is picked up by the next expert, you'll get a notification and you will be able to continue with the next expert.

DrKlahn :

Thanks for using JustAnswer. The question should be picked up again shortly.

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
Hello Sir or Madam and thanks for choosing the JustAnswer.com Computer category.

• Run CHKDSK to fix any soft errors on your hard drive before re-installing the software/driver.
-----
  • For Windows 7 or Vista:
  • Click the multicolored Windows Orb in the lower-left hand corner of your screen.
  • In the text box type the phrase CMD to initiate a search.
  • An icon with the cmd text will appear near the top.
  • Right-click the CMD icon and select Run As Administrator.
  • Type in your administrator password XXXXX leave it blank if you did not assign a password.
  • When the CMD window opens, type the following command and then push the enter key.
  • Type CHKDSK and press the enter key.
-----
  • Wait for the procedure to complete.

• Do not schedule yet.

• Send the results first as directed below.
    -----
    Right-click on the text and choose SELECT ALL.
    Then go to the justanswer window and select PASTE so I can see the results.

-----

• The following make take hours to complete depending on the problems with the hard drive so do this overnight if possible without interruption:
  • If that works, then type CHKDSK /R and press the enter key.
  • (CHKDSK /R has a space between CHKDSK and /R.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\windows\system32>CHKDSK
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
181248 file records processed.
File verification completed.
479 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
0 EA records processed.
44 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
245316 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
181248 file SDs/SIDs processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
32035 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
34804264 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

NNN-NN-NNNNKB total disk space.
69171140 KB in 129597 files.
89108 KB in 32036 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
290587 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
XXXXXXXXX KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
66622207 total allocation units on disk.
49234499 allocation units available on disk.

C:\windows\system32>

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
When did you first notice this behavior?
Have you recently installed software or hardware?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's been a while. As far as software is concerned the problem exists before and after installation. I don't know how long ago it began, but would guess a year or so. Computer operates but the save icon goes on and off and if you are working on something else it hinders the process while it clicks on. Icon only stays on a few seconds each time as though it is saving etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,It's been a while. As far as software is concerned the problem exists before and after installation. I don't know how long ago it began, but would guess a year or so. Computer operates but the save icon goes on and off and if you are working on something else it hinders the process while it clicks on. Icon only stays on a few seconds each time as though it is saving etc.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
  • The wait/save icon shows when the computer has to access the hard drive.
  • Note that the computer memory is 1000 times faster than the hard drive, so when the computer runs out of memory, it has to swap data to the hard drive.

-----

• The most common cause of the delay is your anti-virus software scanning files in the background.
  • Launch the task manager to have a look at what your computer is doing.
  • Using the keyboard, hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys while you press the Esc key. (These are all on the extreme left side of the keyboard.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX i turn my av scanning off w/mcafee then i am told i have no antivirus etc protection.

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
  • On the Task Manager, there are tabs for Applications, Processes, Performance and Networking.
  • Click on the Processes tab.
  • Re-order the list according to CPU by clicking on the CPU subtab once or twice to make the larger CPU numbers at the top of the list.
  • Watch the processes that move to the top.

-----

• Repeat with the Mem Usage list.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure what this is to do. I did as you directed and it looks as though the inet stuff is largest. Is there something I can do to fix the icon from coming on etc? I don't understand what the computer mem being full means.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.

• Is that for both CPU and Mem Usage lists?
  • That usually means you have too many windows/tabs open.

-----

• Think of the computer memory as the dinner table where you lay out food to display or eat.
  • The computer hard disk is the refrigerator where you keep the food when the food is not on the dinner table.
  • The dinner table is limited to the number of dishes being served at one time.
  • If you want to add more dishes, some of the food already on the table has to be moved back to the refrigerator to make more room on the table.
  • This is the same as running out of memory and takes a lot of time - that is why you get the delay/wait/save icon.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Great analogy even for a dumb ol retired Army Colonel. So, my ? would be how do I move things from the com to the HD? One of your cohorts was coming at my problem from a "autorun" perspective of which I have a huge listing. I do not know/fear moving this stuff out of autorun or if that is adviseable. My resident 'programs' while appearing to be duplicated some times are not all that many. so, if I were to take one of my photoshop programs out would that free up comp mem? Thanks
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
  • Click on the Applications tab.
  • How many programs are running?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Applications shows only 1 and that is my question to you folks. there are 24 lines under processes. such as 4 for iexplorer at 47, 45, 20 and 5 thousand Ks.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
So you are only running Internet Explorer and the Task Manager?
Is this a laptop or desktop computer connected wirelessly to the internet?

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
laptop wifi
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
Do you know how to turn the wifi on/off?
There is usually a switch at the side of the laptop to turn off the wifi radio connection.
Then you can turn off your antivirus temporarily to see if it is causing the bottleneck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
turned off wifi and mcafee and observed desktop and icon continues to come on and off intermittently as before. what about a sys restore...would that fix it?
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
Are you talking about going back in time to when it didn't occur (you said it has been a while) or backing up your data and re-installing Windows?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my restore points are all from June2012 fwd with the one exception of 1 in 2010. As I believe the problem is pre 2012 I would probably have to go to the oldest. with regard to windows...it was preloaded on my Lenovo and I don't know if I can reload it. I switched to XP as I did not like win 7 and if the os will reload on its' own then I can reload office etc.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
I thought you had Windows 7, not XP.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the OS is win7 I loaded XP office
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
A different approach.

Download and install firefox from the link below:

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

-----
  • Click start. Select Run...
  • (or Hold down the Windows key and press R)
  • Type the following command: msconfig
  • Click the Services tab.
  • Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box.
  • Click Disable All to turn off the remaining services.
  • Uncheck the Load Startup Items box.
  • Click OK and restart.

• Reboot.
  • Do not start IE.
  • Run Firefox.
  • Report results.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i'm guessing by "report results' you want me to state if the icon flashing problem has ceased and since I did the reboot and run firefox prog the ICON HAS NOT run as stated in my problem definition...it appears to be ok now

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
  • OK so add back the Load Startup Items box by checking it to see if the problem is in that group:
  • Click start. Select Run...
  • Type the following command: msconfig
  • Click the Services tab.
  • Check the Load Startup Items box.
  • Click OK and restart.

• Reboot.
  • Do not start IE.
  • Run Firefox.
  • Report results

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have yet to restart my McAfee as you told me to turn it off. Do I restart it now?

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
Yes.

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
Going to lunch, let me know how it goes.

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.

Try again with the antivirus on.

• Click start. Select Run...
  • Type the following command: msconfig
  • Click the Services tab.
  • Uncheck the Load Startup Items box.
  • Click OK and restart.
  • Reboot.
  • Do not start IE.
  • Run Firefox.
  • Report results.

-----

Then

• Add back the Load Startup Items box by checking it to see if the problem is in that group:
  • Click start. Select Run...
  • Type the following command: msconfig
  • Click the Services tab.
  • Check the Load Startup Items box.
  • Click OK and restart.
  • Reboot.
  • Do not start IE.
  • Run Firefox.
  • Report results
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning. I believe you have successfully handled my icon problem, thanks. However, after applying your corrections and upon reboot I am receiving the following msg:

windows cannot find

C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Leonovo\Veriface\VerifyHost.exe

I am able to click it off and proceed as usual; but, I haven't had this happen before and thought I may have screwed something up when I was following your guidance. Can you help fix this?

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.

Congratulations!

-----

• You still have to finish the job by reporting the results.
  • The idea was to find the specific service and/or startup item that was causing the problem.
  • Since you didn't complete the tests, all we know is the problem is either: one of the non-Microsoft services or one of the startup items.
  • This is because so far we have turned off all the non-Microsoft services and all of the startup items.
  • Do the following and tell me which boxes are checked and not checked:

-----

• Click start. Select Run...
  • Type the following command: msconfig
  • Click the Services tab.

-----

http://veriface.software.informer.com/

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not sure what you mean by me not completing all of the tasks. I checked the services tab as you directed and there are too many files to list that are checked. Primarily, the ones not checked are the McAfee files and some Apple files and Bonjour etc. I am happy to do what is required, but this prompt threw me as it is new and so I did not finalize the original query/rating back to Just answer.

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
  • Before we get to the specific service or startup we need to see if the original problem is in the service or startup group.
-----

• Do you see the box labeled Load Startup Items?
  • I need to know if the original problem (not the Leonovo\Veriface\VerifyHost.exe) is still gone when the Load Startup Items box is checked and the computer is rebooted.
-----

• Don't worry about "windows cannot find C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Leonovo\Veriface\VerifyHost.exe" for now.
  • Once we find the source of the original problem, we can turn the other items back on.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not see a box w/load start up items. I have a startup folder in the start file but it is empty.

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
  • Click start. Select Run...
  • Type the following command: msconfig
  • Click the Services tab.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1 Apple push is checked and 1 apple push is not and itunes are the only ones checked. The rest are unchecked

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
OK.

-----

• Hold down the Windows key and press R
  • Type the following command: msconfig
  • Click the General tab.
  • What buttons/boxes are selected/checked/unchecked?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Checked:

selective start up.
load sys service

load start up items

a 'faded' check mark in the box that says 'use original boot config'

normal and diagnostic startup boxes are not checked nor highlighted

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
So in the current configuration, the wait/save icon is not appearing, correct?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is correct
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
  • We will now go through the services list until the problem recurs.
  • Once the problem recurs, we will note the name of the service, then enable all the other services except for the problem service.
  • After each service is enabled, click the OK button then reboot.
  • To reduce confusion, make sure the box labeled Hide Microsoft Services is always on ---- this will reduce the list since we know the problem is not with that group.

-----

• If there are too many services to deal with you can note your location in the list, then change approximately half of the items in the list, click the OK button then reboot.
  • This will eliminate half of the possiblities, then repeat with half of the remainder until we get results.
  • So if we start with 100, we end up with 50, then 25, then 13, then 7, then 4, then 2, then 1.
  • Divide the problem in half each time.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just for clarification...I am checking blocks in the services tab and not start up...correct?

also, after I check a number of the boxes that are empty, restart and go back to the services tab they are checked but status for those newly checked items is 'stopped' ... am I doing this correctly

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
Yes you are correct.

-----

• Are you almost done or are you going one at a time instead of the divide and conquer method?
  • Is the startup list a lot shorter than the services list?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Almost there
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
OK

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

have check all and the icon isn't demonstrating the problem

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
Can you uncheck the Hide Microsoft Services box and see if all the microsoft services are enabled with a check mark?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

all services both microsoft and the ones shown when ms hide are checked. the only things unchecked are in the startup tab and almost all of them are unchecked.

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
OK, do the same procedure with the startup items and don't forget the reboot after clicking OK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, man that is time intensive. in the start up tab...all files work w/o causing the wait icon to run except for 2

both are HP Digital Im HP

one is C:\Progfiles\HP\HPPhotosmart5510dseries\Bin\ScanTop

and other is C:\windows\system32RunDll32.exe*C:\Progfiles\HP\HP P...

my printer is the HP5510

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.

• Your computer is an hp, right?
  • We will have to check the hp website to see if they have a new printer/scanner driver that doesn't keep checking the system to see if it is needed.
  • Or you can disable any automatic functions in the system tray until you need to print.

romr2009, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience: 32 years practical systems experience: computer/phone, automotive, appliance, & electrical control
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, great and thanks. What do I do now? I can check for drivers etc. I know I need to provide feedback etc., I just don't know when I need to do that in this process. Should I try to fix the verisign problem that we discussed earlier as a separate venue? Thanks for your patience.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
  • The Veriface is a system that allows you to log into the computer by making the built-in camera recognize your face.
  • Is it still telling you a file is missing?

http://veriface.software.informer.com/

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes and we have never used it either. Thanks .
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
  • Now that you know which startup items caused the delay/wait icon, we can put the system back in normal startup mode to see if everything goes back to square one.
-----
  • Hold down the Windows key and press R
  • Type the following command: msconfig
  • Click the General tab.
  • Select Normal Startup.
  • Click OK and reboot.

Come back to report results and next step.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After I did the general tab reset the icon started doing the same thing as before. I checked the start up tab and the 2 HP Files were checked. I then unchecked the 2 HP files and rebooted and the problem went away once again.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
  • What about the Veriface on Normal Startup after the reboot but before you changed the hp files?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No change. All I have to do is hit enter and it goes awayand then I can enter my P/W.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Same prob.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
  • Click the link below for the Veriface disable video.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks; however, there is no link with your note.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?DocID=HT051305

If the website is having problems,
copy/paste the text below to your web browser:

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tried the link and then the fix shown. On my computer there is no veriface at all. I can't even get to it via typing veriface in the file source box. A file/folder called veriface comes up but when you click on it the computer syas that file can't be found.

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
Can you look in the startup items for a veriface item?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I appreciate your help. With regard to your question. There is a verifacemgr file in SU and so I tried to uncheck and reboot to see if that would fix it and it did not. Error MSG still present at start up. I think I saw where I can install veriface from the website you sent me to earlier, should I try that?
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
  • Try it.
  • If no change look in the services tab for a veriface item.