LKT
LKT, IT Support
Experience:  A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications
34552149

Hi There My PC says no speakers or headphones plugged in. I

Customer Question

Hi There

My PC says no speakers or headphones plugged in.
I tried to run the app bellow but it wont run. Comes up with an error . Try again later
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/AudioPlayback/

I also went out and purchased a new sound card in case it was a board fault.

Im running win 7 64bit. All was fine until I had a printer problem. I think some how the pc is looking in the wrong place for the devices??? If it can do that.

I have been into the device manager all sound devices are there with up to date drivers saying working properly.

Frustrated Darryl
Category: Computer
Expert:  LKT replied 2 years ago.

LKT :

Hello

LKT :

What kind of audio device do you have connected to the computer?

LKT :

Also, could you give me the error you get when trying to open http://support.microsoft.com/mats/AudioPlayback/ ? It may just want you to restart the PC, and run it on startup.

Customer :

Just running 3.5mm out to philips monitor installed ASUS DG headphone amp and pci 5.1 audio card or i can go back to the main board?

LKT :

Do you see the audio icon next to the time on the bottom tray?

Customer :

trouble shooting can not continue because of.....

Customer :

yes i c the icon

LKT :

Could you right click on that for me and select playback devices

LKT :

And let me know which is selected as your default playback device

Customer :

hmm,m not the one i want hdmi

LKT :

do you have your headphones on now? And do you see that listed in those playback devices?

Customer :

no headph listed can get in a tic

LKT :

When you find the one you want go ahead and right-click and test. If you hear anything go ahead and right-click and set as default.

Customer :

hav some

Customer :

I tested the card cauz thats the one plugged in.But no sound

LKT :

Which port do you have your headphones plugged into? It should be green.

Customer :

yes that is the cable I am using to the monitor havent tried the headphones. Sorry will now

LKT :

Can you go through all the devices listed in playback and test them.

Customer :

done clicked the test on all but no joy. Had tried this previous

LKT :

Could you give me the full error when trying to run http://support.microsoft.com/mats/AudioPlayback/

Customer :

trouble shooting cannot continue because an error has occured...were sorry but the programme encounted an errorand can not continue.please try again later

LKT :

Ok, so you have your headphones connected directly into the computer, correct?

Customer :

yip into the green port on the card or i can go ahead and plug back into the mb and it comes up sayin something is plugged in

LKT :

Lets try that

LKT :

Have you tried testing while its connected to the mb?

Customer :

f all

LKT :

None worked?

Customer :

realtek hd audio manager comes upI say headphones then tested

Customer :

nuda

LKT :

You are testing by right-clicking the audio icon and pressing playback devices?

Customer :

checked vol control options aswell

Customer :

yes to your quest

LKT :

I wonder, did you have to disable any onboard audio in BIOS when you installed your audio card?

Customer :

no but onboard was not working thats why I tried an additional card

LKT :

There may be a conflict between the two audio devices. I would try disabling on board devices in BIOS and test the new audio card after. If that doesnt work then take out your card, enable the on board audio and do testing that way.

Customer :

hmm ok you will have to give me 10 mins

LKT :

Ok, if that doesnt work Ill go ahead and open up this question to other experts that may have more insight into this question. Let me know how it works so we know how to proceed.

Customer :

sure I will come back on after trial

Customer :

I have just taken the card out and is no longer showing in the device manager. I will now scan for changes to make sure. Only other problem that occured around the same time was a printer that had to be reinstalled due to an error. Can windows be perhaps looking to that?

LKT :

You can try uninstalling your new printer and trying, however unlikely it is a possibility.

Customer :

It was an existing printer and windows was looking in the wrong port for it?

LKT :

Is the printer using USB?

Customer :

yip

LKT :

Try unplugging that while you test

Customer :

no difference hmmmmmmmmmmmm

LKT :

Do you have another pair of headphones?

Customer :

no i dont think so. I will try in a stereo to confirm they are workin

Customer :

they work fine

LKT :

Are there any other 3.5mm green ports on the computer? Possibly one in the front and one in the back

Customer :

no front staright of the mb which is GA-EG41M S2H

LKT :

And you have the most up to date drivers, chipsets installed, correct?

Customer :

I can try all the other ports if u wish ie 5.1

LKT :

Doesnt hurt to try.

LKT :

I think though my last suggestion is system restore to a time where your audio has worked

Customer :

tried that cant turn back no r point :-(

Customer :

none work!

LKT :

I see

LKT :

Well, unfortunately I do not have any further ideas for you. Ill go ahead and opt out so that another expert can assist you further. Is this fine with you?

Customer :

Sure I have tried all i can think of. Thats why I have paid to try and get a resolution

LKT :

Alrighty, goodluck!

LKT, IT Support
Experience: A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications
Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am another expert and I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Please click this link to download a microsoft fixit - http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9740816

Then click save file. Wait until it finishes downloading the fixit tool. Then run the fixit tool.
The fixit tool will fix the problem automatically.

Tell me how it goes!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there the app will not run
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is live chat an option?
Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.
1.Go to start
2. Then type in devmgmt.msc in the start search box and press the Enter key.
3. In the Device Manager, double click on Sound, Video, and Game Controllers.
Tell me what are all options listed under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers after you double click.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Amd Hi Def Audio dev.
Intel Hi def (HDMI)
Realtek Hi def audio
Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.
Right click on Realtek high def audio and choose Remove or Uninstall. Wait for the uninstallation to complete.

Then restart your computer after the uninstallation.

Tell me if it makes any difference to your problem.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok after that.
Installing device driver software. Audio device on h. def audio bus-searching windows bla bla. Then it installed and Ready To Use.

Status on speaker icon has changed to XXXXX Device is Installed
Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.
Now we will reinstall the driver.

What is the make and model of your computer ?

Thank you,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
MB is GA-EG41M S2H
Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.
Please click this link to download your audio driver - http://tinyurl.com/28pupxy

After the download completes, run the downloaded file to install the audio driver.

Then restart and tell me how it goes!

Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi did all that. Speaker icon still shows No Audio Output Device is InstalledCry
Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.
1.Go to start
4.Then uninstall everything under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers (Amd Hi Def Audio dev, Intel Hi def (HDMI), Realtek Hi def audio) one by one.
5.Then restart your computer after the uninstallation.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hmm just rebooted looked in manager and they are all there again? No prompting searching for anything?

Shall I un install a device then reboot and so on and so on?

Just did them again one by one. It installed them again. Are you stumped?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Anyone home?
Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.
Got to start > Control panel > Hardware and Sounds > Sounds > Sound

Under the "Playback" tab is "Speakers" selected as the "Default Device" ?

Thank you,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yip
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any other suggestions?
Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.
Go to Start > All Programs > Recovery Manager > and then click Recovery Manager again.

On the Hardware Driver Reinstallation welcome screen, click Next .
Then select the audio driver to reinstall, and then click Next .

The Recovery Manager begins reinstalling the driver. After the driver installation is complete, click Finish to restart the computer.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Recovery Manager? Cant find it. Do you have some rope I think i will go and neck myself
Expert:  MD.REHAN replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to say, I am out of ideas.

I will opt-out and open this question for other experts.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanx for your time
Expert:  The A+ PCTech replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Ron. Thank you for asking a question. I noticed that your response to the question about what kind of system you have was to give a Gigabyte mother board part number. Did you build this system yourself and do you have the driver and software disk that came with the board?

You mentioned that it almost seems like the system is looking in the wrong place for the audio components. That could be the chip set driver. I would reinstall that to see if it remedies the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes Ron. I did build the system a couple of years ago. I just updated the drivers from the gigabyte web site. As I can not locate the disc that came with the board

Audio-Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip (Including Microsoft UAA/HDMI Driver in English edition)

Chipset-Intel INF installation.

No avail Im afraid
When you are looking at the sound settings, are you just using the windows settings or are you using the realtek audio control panel?

Additional: In the beginning your audio was set for HDMI, are you using the HDMI connection at all? If not, do you have a t.v. to try it with? I ask because I am curious to see if the sound would work using that connection, as it is routed through the intel audio/video components differently.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The first part of your quest. I have been using both. I have only used the realtek when i plug in anything or unplug anything it pops up.

Unfortunatly I dont have a tv with hdmi. The monitor I am using Philips 230 I am using an hdmi plug from my graphix card and a separate 3.5mm from the mb to the monitor that was always the way I have run it. Going back to the intial fault was the need to reinstall a hp printer. Dont ask me how but I believe windows has some confusion with the audio and the printer. At one stage when looking for an audio device windows was trying to select the printer
I did see where you had mentioned using the realtek control panel. If you open it, along the top are the output and input selections. I know that I was not noticing that at the end of that list was an arrow to see more selections. When I looked, I found a separate stereo mix that the volume was not turned up. There are also the device advanced settings in the top right you should look at and the yellow file icon just below that is the connector settings you may need to change.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yeah I have had a look at that. All seems ok. I made the front and rear jacks run together just incase
What has me confused is that if the system couldn't see the speakers, the realtek wouldn't pop up when you plug them in. Since this began, when you unplug and plug the speakers does that realtek pop up still show up? Is there some reason that you didn't or wouldn't restore the system to an earlier date?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes everything does pop up in realtek Restore is not working? 0x80042302. Neither will windows updates?
Not that this makes any sense, but I at least now understand that this is not your only issue. It is just about midnight here in California, USA and I have been at this since 8 am. I need to log off for the evening if that is acceptable, but I will let you know what the problem is with both your restore and what is necessary to repair that and your windows update.

I don't want to worry you more than you are already, but it may be necessary to do a repair install of windows. Since you built your own system, you must have purchased the windows install disk that you will need to do the repair. The wonderful thing about having that disk instead of some stupid useless recovery disk from a computer mfg. is that if windows is still running, you can insert the disk and run it within windows. This will allow you to do a repair install that will only reinstall the windows system and won't destroy your data or any programs that you have installed.

Why don't you give me until the morning to see if I can come up with anything else that might resolve the sound issue and you can consider the repair install that will repair all your issues unless there is a motherboard issue preventing the sound.

I will stay logged in until I receive a response, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hmmm a disk! Guess I could up with one for a repair if you get my drift. Have a think overnight if you can. I wont be on this pc again until about 5pm tomorrow. At the moment it is 7.20pm. Thanx Darryl
I guess that is 10 pm my time. I will sleep in tomorrow so I will be wide awake when we correspond. Look for that disk. The process to repair the windows update and the restore point creation, that seems to be why you can't restore, can be difficult and involved. We are supposed to only answer the one question that you have asked, but with this situation, you could take care of all three problems with the repair install.

If I can come up with anything else that may help with the sound only, I will send you the information well before you are back to the computer. If I can not find any other possible solution, we can do the repair install if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ron. Any thoughts? Shall I just chuck the disk in?
Boy your quick, I just looked up at the clock and there you were. I looked for two more hours last night and couldn't come up with anything other than running a system files checker scan to confirm that all your system files are good. That scan should help with the restore and the windows update processes. It replaces any bad or missing system files. It is worth a try in case one is damaged that may have to do with the sound.

To run the scan you need to go to the accessories and find the command prompt program and right click on it and select run as administrator. Once opened type sfc /scannow hit enter and let it run.
I just edited my reply to you to add, "Hit enter" after you type sfc /scannow.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
windows resource protection could not start the repair service?
Wow, you are messed up. Give me a few min. to send the repair install procedure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yeah if i put a full stop it comes up with the options to verifyfile offboot dir etc...i not up with dos
This is the windows 7 forum link that details the procedure. It can be confusing depending on what service pack you have installed. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Open the link and print the pages so that you have them in front of you. Let me know if your disk included sp1, which I doubt.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the disc is win7 ultimate
I was wondering if is says that it includes the service pack 1 or sp1. I doubt that it does. You should try and do a back up to an external drive if you can just in case. Then proceed to step 6, windows 7 install without sp1 or sp1 dvd.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hmm i better run with the sp1 down load as I dont want to loose anything as it is my Wife's pc. I will let u know how i got on 2morro as it will take 30mins to download
Please read that begining part and see if it mentions the uninstall of the service pack if your using a disk that has no service pack included and you have that service pack installed. I will keep looking at that since I know that for XP and Vista, you need to remove it if it is not included on the disk you are using for the repair. I don't want to mess you up if it needs that removed first. Please don't proceed with the repair until I have verified this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
doesnt seem to?
You can try the download, I suggest using a download manager to insure that the download can be resumed if for some reason there is an interuption in your internet connection. I have had those files corrupted at least 6 out of 10 times when not using a download manager. If you can't get a successful download, the sp1 can be uninstalled to prevent any conflicts with the repair. That is why I was saying let me confirm that first. I will let you attempt the download and just keep me updated.

Just make sure you don't select the repair option in the beginning, follow the instructions and you should be fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanx Ron from California. You are great!
You are so very welcome. I just realized that it is my birthday already where you are. Happy Birthday to me! "48"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Happy Birthday Ron. I hope u have a great day! r u socal or nocal?
Thank you! I am no cal. About an hour south of San Francisco.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nice

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
If we could live and work in the States we would be there. Its really hard for Kiwi's to get in. Sorry........I'm in New Zealand (Auckland)
LOL!!! I am so embarrassed to admit this. When I noticed that you are in New Zealand, I realized that you are the third customer I have had from there in the last month, but the first two were easy solutions that didn't require a second or third contact.

I try and make a point of knowing the time difference so I can make myself available at your convenience and yesterday when you told me that you would be back at 5pm your time and that it was 7:20pm when I was signing off at 12:20 am.

Now considering that I deal with customers all over the world, I should have an understanding of the international date line. It helps when you at least have a general idea of where a country is located, but in your case I don't know how I got the impression that you were some where around Greenland

Register Here

I started thinking about the time difference of 19 hours and looked at a map. I couldn't believe that your next to Australia. How fantastic. Sure beats Greenland!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure does. But as a family we will still rather be in the States. We have had 5 trips there in the 10 years. Its only a 10-11hr flight!
How do you sit on a plane for that long? I guess drink, drink, drink, and sleep. What is it about the States that is so much more appealing? What is it like where you are in comparison?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well the States has everything. More opportunity. Better interest rates. Cheap food and housing. We have low wages. We are a nanny state(huge welfare system). Great scenery but lousy weather. Crap traffic even compared to LA. No joke I have experienced both
I had no idea. I would have figured that the weather would be great. It makes sense, if that is the case, that you would want to be here. I can't stand traffic. That is why I work at home.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hmm I just tried the repair thing. Once it got to step 12 (check for compatibility. I got "to upgrade you need to be running win 7 with sp1 installed,close the installation,open windows update, and then check update for service pack 1. hmmm might try my disk
That sounds like you never were able to install the update to sp1. You did say that the windows update was not working properly. In that case, your disk should be fine.
I didn't bring it up earlier while we were trying to trouble shoot the audio problem, but now that it has become clear that the windows operating system has been severely corrupted, you need to consider what could have caused it. Once you get the repair completed, you should run a series of scans on the hard drive and if necessary, I can recommend a trial download of Acronis Migration software that will let you copy the drive exactly as it is, each partition as it is, and place it on the new hard drive in such a way that you simply swap the drives and reboot without the system missing a beat.
I am going off line for the rest of the day for my B-day, but I am curious how the repair install went. Please drop me a note and I will check my email once I get home from dinner with my family. Hopefully it was successful and all is well. If that is the case, please rate my service highly as the highest rated tech is the only one who gets paid for helping you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ron I'm pretty much over this. After the reboot it expands the files then says missing files? (after the darn thing has been online updating in the first part) Then continues to roll back. I guess the only thing left to do is a fdisk and install...
I am so sorry that this is the outcome. I can't say that I am exactly surprised by that. Once we started seeing all the features that were not accessible and the system basically not seeing its components or not distinguishing a printer from a sound card.

As I mentioned earlier, you need to look at what is the cause. I would hate to see you get this thing back up and running with all the effort and time to reinstall your wife's programs besides the windows install and come to find out that either the hard drive is a POS. or your motherboard is having a chip set failure or a BIOS corruption that will probably result in the same outcome. The fact that the system is custom built makes it much easier and drastically less expensive to replace a motherboard or hard drive especially because you are not limited to the components that you are using now, nor are you at the mercy of a computer manufacturers price gouging.

Just a consideration.
I was wondering how everything went and wanted to remind you to please rate my service.

Thanks,