authentech
authentech, Systems Admin
Experience:  I am a MS Certified Systems Engineer
58460175

i can not access the hotmail log in page. A blank screen appears.

i can not access the hotmail log in page. A blank screen appears. I can not log in through MSN Live either, as it wont accept my password. It seems that a lot of other people have a similar problem. I can log in using a different computer, and the same passwords, its only my computer that wont work. Please help.

Dean

authentech :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to assist you with this.

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me nuts

authentech :

Please download Mozilla Firefox. It's an alternate browser to try instead of Internet Explorer

authentech :

firefox.com to get it

Customer:

i have done that already, also crome

authentech :

See if this resolves your problem or at least gives you a work around

Customer:

i get the same response in both

authentech :

So, you cannot connect using these?

Customer:

www.hotmail.com is just a blank page

authentech :

on all three browsers

authentech :

?

Customer:

no, i searched on the web for answers and a numbe rof other people had the same problem as me, but there dont appear to be solutions

Customer:

i have run virus scan, nothign come up

Customer:

i downloaded MSN Live, and that worked the first time, it would allow me to access hotmail, but when I logged in again it refused to recognize my password

authentech :

Do you have a software firewall?

authentech :

or have you disabled the Windows Firewall?

Customer:

i use Norton 360, i dont know if it has a firewall or not

authentech :

yep. it definitely does.

authentech :

Do you have the Norton installation file or disk? Can you try uninstalling it temporarily to see if this fixes the problem?

Customer:

why would it just start to block one site though? usually if I have a firewall issue I get a message from norton

authentech :

I have seen Norton take out Internet Explorer completely in the past.

Customer:

i downloaded it from the web, so i dont have a disk

authentech :

If it flags the site as bad it could be blocking it. Do you have your installation file still or no?

Customer:

no instillation file that i know of

Customer:

my internet explorer works fine otherwise

Customer:

same with firefox, only the hotmail site that wont open

authentech :

1 Open the Norton 360 software by clicking on the "Start" button at the bottom left-hand corner of the screen, selecting "All Programs" and choosing the "Norton 360" application from the "Norton 360" folder.
2 Click on the "Tasks and Settings" link in the top right-hand corner of the program window. Locate the "Change Advanced Settings" link to the right-hand side of the window and click on it.

3 Select the "Firewall Protection Settings" link. It is the second link listed on the left side of the window. Click on the link to open the preferences for the Norton 360 firewall.
4 Select the "Off" option under the "Firewall" preferences. By default, Norton 360 leaves the firewall on at all times. Click the "Apply" button at the bottom of the page to disable the firewall.
5 Select the "Until I turn it back on" option in the pop-up window that asks how long the Norton 360 firewall should remain disabled. Click the "OK" button and exit from the Norton 360 software.

authentech :

Read up. Disable the firewall and see if this fixes it

Customer:

i think i have a different verison of 360 than that, but i was able to disable the firewall

authentech :

ok good

authentech :

Can you try to get to hotmail?

Customer:

it doesnt help, i am still getting balnk page

authentech :

ok

authentech :

Give me a minute

authentech :

Have you tried Holding Control while pressing F5?

authentech :

while looking at the blank page?

authentech :

This could also be a problem with the Adobe Flash Player. Have you tried updating or reinstalling Flash?

Customer:

"Internet Explorer cannot display this web page"

Customer:

i havent done anything with adobe flash, what should i try?

authentech :

I would uninstall it. Then go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

authentech :

and reinstall it

Customer:

what is the file name to uninstall it?

authentech :

Adobe Flash should be

authentech :

Anything that says adobe flash just uninstall

Customer:

ok

authentech :

Try going to http://login.live.com to login instead of hotmail.com. See if this workaround gets you to the hotmail site

Customer:

i have adobe flash player 11 activeX is that the right one?

authentech :

yes, but try my post above using http://login.live.com instead before you remove it

Customer:

yes, i tried the login live option yesterday, but it wont accept my password XXXXX so i cant log on

Customer:

it worked the first time i did it

authentech :

Can you click the Can't Access My Account link on that page to reset your password?

Customer:

the login live site is the same as the hotmail site for me, just a blank page

authentech :

ok. Try the Adobe Flash uninstall and reinstall.

authentech :

How long have you had this problem?

Customer:

it started on friday

Customer:

i did a google search and found a lot of people with the same problem, but no solution

Customer:

i am uninstalling now

Customer:

then i just reinstall?

authentech :

Technically you should reboot first, then reinstall.

authentech :

You can click Ctrl + D to bookmark this page

Customer:

it says i can uninstall while internet explorer is working

Customer:

cant

authentech :

so bookmark, close the window, uninstall, reboot, then come back and reinstall

Customer:

i will come back to you then?

authentech :

yes

Customer:

ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX soon

authentech :

When you go to hotmail.com you will get a long string in the address bar like
URL 'http://by148w.bay148.mail.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0'

after that add https for this link
https://by148w.bay148.mail.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0

authentech :

See if that changes anything. If it already has https then change to http

authentech :

If none of these things work, I would really recommend uninstalling Norton as a test. You will be given an option to save your product key for reinstallation later. I recommend using the free Microsoft Security Essentials instead of Norton, but that's a personal preference. I don't know any computer professionals that recommend Norton anymore.

authentech :

After uninstalling Norton, reboot and try it. IF it still doesn't work, I will opt out and see if another expert can assist. IF it does work for you, please click the Smiley face to give me credit for the assist. Thanks and good luck!

authentech, Systems Admin
Experience: I am a MS Certified Systems Engineer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i can not reload the adobe flash, as i get a message saying script error

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i uninstalled norton and intalled the microsoft security esentials, but i still can not access any msn log in page. Its just a blank screen with a notation in the lower corner saaying error on page. Cant get in via MSN page, Win Live page or Hotmail. Any more ideas?
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Hello, I'm Tomas and I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible. If the problem is the same with any browser, all indications are that system files of Windows were altered, so my answer is:

1. Log on to Windows as Administrator.
2. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. System Restore starts.
3. On the Welcome to System Restore page, click Restore my computer to an earlier time (if it is not already selected), and then click Next.

4. On the Select a Restore Point page, choose a restore point created just before the date and time you started noticing problems, finally click Next. A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.

5. On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click Next. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the computer.

6. Log on to the computer as Administrator. The System Restore Restoration Complete page appears.

7. Click OK.

Now, try to log in to your hotmail account and please tell me the results.

I hope this answers your question. Please rate my answer only if your problem was solved and taking into account that I'll only receive credit if you rate Ok service or Got the job done or higher. Your bonus will be greatly appreciated too. Otherwise, I'll continue assisting you until you are satisfied or your issue is solved. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had to upgrade my IE and delete Win Live and load the Microsoft Security Essentials. Its working now.

Great!. When you have another issue, don't hesitate to contact me. Thank you.