DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Hardware Engineer
Experience:  BSci: Electrical Engr., Industrial Engr, and Computer Sci.

9003 indicated from this search says that I have a RAM issue.

9003 indicated from this search says that I have a RAM issue. I get this error when trying to load the language discs and after the application disc has been successfully loaded. Rosetta Stone says that 1.92GB is more than sufficient and indicates that the problem is with anti-virus software and my computer. Suggestions?
Category: Computer
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 1 year ago.

DrKlahn :

Good afternoon. Thanks for using JustAnswer, the internet's independent site for Q&A consultation. I'm XXXXX XXXXX, XXXXXnamed "DrKlahn."

DrKlahn :

Notice / disclosure: JustAnswer is a pay-for-answers Q&A site which is not associated with any software company.

DrKlahn :

Please send me a short message when you're online in this session and ready to start. As soon as I see that, we'll go ahead.

Customer:

Online

DrKlahn :

Thank you. Does the affected system have an antivirus installed, and if so, which one?

Customer:

I have a company CPU. Sophos & Macafee. The Rosetta application CD loads in C & D drives and under application files that Rosetta has been supporting for me to look at. With the loading of the application CD resolved, I can't get past the next step (loading the level I language CD). Rosetta tech says I need to get with my company IT department to get permission for the language CD to load, but haven't given sufficient reason or explanation why the application CD has no problem loading. Chances of me getting my IT company support for this issue if settings and permission levels do need to be changed are slim. Wanted to get the course for extra personal training and challenge. Since Rosetta can't clearly explain application CD loading ease versus Language CD loading error 9003, I just wanted another opinion (in English) before I give up and return the software and try to get my money back. If true issue is my laptop and corporate security, I am o.k. with that and have no wish to proceed further. I am mainly curious about further information on what the 9003 error means ----other than ---- my computer.

DrKlahn :

9003 is not a well-defined error in Rosetta, and my research indicates that there is more than one possible explanation for it.

DrKlahn :

The most likely alternate explanation is that the install is not being run as an Administrator. This is very probable if your system was supplied by your company, and you don't have Administrator privilege. Is this a possibility?

Customer:

yes it is. I am a user of this laptop. Not an administrator

DrKlahn :

Thank you. I suspect that this is the problem, then. I'm basing this on the brief article at the following link:

DrKlahn :

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090104112907AAlz8oF

DrKlahn :

Further research indicates that while the Rosetta base package will install correctly in user mode, installing the language packs requires Administrator privileges.

DrKlahn :

Unfortunately, you'd need cooperation from your company's IT department to test this, which may be difficult to obtain.

Customer:

Assuming Rosetta were on a personal or laptop, Why would a company need to install software at the administrator privilige level on general consumer purchased software?

DrKlahn :

That is an excellent question. If the base package installs without need for Administrator privilege, I can think of no plausible reason what is essentially an add-on data pack would require it. It makes no sense.

DrKlahn :

I've thought of a possible workaround, but it is truly ... unusual.

Customer:

Thanks for support and information. At least having some more detail on the issue is of extreme value. Unless you have anything further to suggest, I am willing to close this case, pay the full 38$ and provide a positive feedback on your support.

DrKlahn :

Would you care to hear my wild idea, since even I have to admit that's what it is?

Customer:

I'm willing tp discuss it, but need to make sure that I don't alter current CPU settings and config. My other option that I was thinking, was obtaining second CPU or hard drive and most likely changing hard drive when I wish to use the program. I've checked the online demos and system for language learning and I really like it. In spite of this issue...........still convince that Rosetta offers the finest product in this category.

DrKlahn :

Well, for what it's worth, here it is. No system changes are required.

DrKlahn :

There is a feature in Windows 7 called "Windows Virtual PC." I don't know if you're familiar with it?

Customer:

heard of it..........not used

Customer:

it

DrKlahn :

Let me give you a reference to the Microsoft home page for it, then I'll continue.

Customer:

Also, I have XP Pro

DrKlahn :

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

DrKlahn :

Here's my idea. Bring up Virtual PC on the system. Install XP into the virtual machine. Now you have what is essentially your own XP system, with all the administrator privileges, running within Windows 7. You can install whatever you like on it and run without antivirus protection. It will be somewhat slow, but it's a complete avoidance of the Windows 7 issues.

DrKlahn :

... if you can activat the Virtual PC on your system.

DrKlahn :

I think you could make a good argument to the IT people that says "Look, I want to run this software, I know you don't want to support it, so can I have it within a virtual machine, which is a Microsoft product and therefore fairly trustworthy?"

Customer:

I thank you for the link and suggestion. I just want to copy and paste the link and your suggestions so that I can look into it and give it a try. You have been very helpful.

DrKlahn :

The other alternative, as you've noted, is to swap out the hard drive on the system when you want to run something "unblessed." While this is certainly possible, the contacts in most laptops are not designed for more than a hundred or so insertions and removals, and could well fail at some point.

DrKlahn :

Do you know how to copy-and-paste from a text box, or can I help you with that?

Customer:

That is a risk indedd on the contacts for the hard drive. I'm not familiar with copy and paste from this format. This is the first time I have used answer.cpu

DrKlahn :

Here's how to do it. First open your favorite text editor in another window. Then return to this window. Scroll all the way up to the top of the window. Press and hold the left mouse button, then scroll all the way down to the bottom of the window (the scroll bar will drag itself down automatically when the mouse touches the bottom of the window.) At the very bottom, release the left mouse button and press CTRL and C simultaneously. Now go to the text editor main window, click anywhere within it, and press CTRL and V simultaneously. The text will be deposited into the text editor window.

DrKlahn :

I'll be glad to hold while you do this.

Customer:

Never mind.........................I got it..................Thanks again!!!!! More detail and explanation on the issue was great!

DrKlahn :

It is my pleasure. Can I assist you further today, on this topic or any other computer-related problem?

Customer:

Nope. Enjoy your day

DrKlahn :

And you as well. I've unlocked the ratings panel, so you can now close this session. 3 or higher means I'll be paid. If this answer is unsatisfactory, please don't rate it, but rather let me know how I could do better in the future.

DrKlahn, Hardware Engineer
Experience: BSci: Electrical Engr., Industrial Engr, and Computer Sci.