Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years experience.
63083622

how do I remove the green dot moneypak FBI scam from my co

how do I remove the green dot moneypak FBI scam from my computer?
Category: Computer
Expert:  lucy7368 replied 2 years ago.

lucy7368 :

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. We have recently implemented a new payment and feedback system. Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. I only receive credit when rated 3 or higher. If for any reason you feel that a lower rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" tab. I appreciate your patience while we adjust to the new system.

lucy7368 :

Can you provide more information? This is something that you downloaded? Or someone called you and told you about an issue with your computer?

Customer:

I was online playing a game when this popped up on my screen saying I hand downloaded copyrighted mp3 or music or software.

lucy7368 :

Ok. I'm going to refer you to a computer expert who can walk you through how to make sure there aren't any viruses or spyware on your computer. I apologize for the delay.

Customer:

OK

lucy7368 :

Good luck. Have a good day.

Customer:

how long do I have to wait for this computer expert to assist?

lucy7368 :

You'll be notified. You don't have to wait, but it shouldn't be that long.

Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. Please favorite or bookmark this page so you can return here if we get disconnected. Please visit Malwarebytes.org and download and install their antimalware software. Run a quick scan. That should detect the infection and allow you to remove the infection. If it doesn't work, or you need more detailed information, just let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Wes; I cannot get to my desktop or do anything else. That is the problem. The minute I log in, my computer goes directly to this green dot money pak screen and it has locked my computer. This is why I contacted here to get help in unlocking my computer. I do have malwarebytes already on this computer.

Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Turn the system off, turn it back on and immediately start tapping F8. The windows advanced startup menu. Select Safemode with networking and hit enter. Does the infection come up in safe mode?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wes: yes I have done that at least 6-7 times and it still comes up in safe mode with networking.
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Comes up in safemode command prompt, and safe mode no networking?
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
may need a livecd to remove it, let me do a little looking and see if I can find an iso file that you can burn.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes it will come up right away in safe mode, safemode with networking, but in safe mode with command prompt I get the command window but I don't seem to be able to apply any commands at all.

Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
what happens when you type a command in command prompt, say like taskmgr
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried restore it says it doesn't exist I typed list, it says it doesn't exist, I typed a ? mark and it doesn't recognize. It did seem to recognize regedit command.
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
list isn't a dos command... but regedit working is a start. Try typing in these commands... press enter after each

cd c:\progra~2\malwar~1\
mbam.exe

See if that gets malwarebytes to start up

Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
also, start up regedit
go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>SOFTWARE>Microsoft Windows>CurrentVersion>Run

In the right window look for a runDll32.exe c:\users\ etc... and delete it

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wes; I will try that tonight when I get home and let you know tommorrow.
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Is there any way you can connect from home (an alternate computer maybe)? Because that may make things go a lot faster.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wes; I tried what you recommended and it stated that regedit was disabled by your administrator. I brought my laptop with me to work today and now when I fire up the computer it wont even go to the green dot scam screen. When I try task manager it also tells me that it has been disabled by your administrator and I am that administrator. I don't know where to go from here.
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
do you know when approximately your system was infected (how many days ago?)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sunday evening

Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
okay, try to restart the computer, tapping F8 on start up, select repair computer, then when the system recovery menu comes up, choose system restore and try a restore point PRIOR to Sunday. It shouldn't wipe any data, it should just roll back changes made since then. Apply any changes and reboot, then let me know the results.
Wes, Consultant
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Wes; thank you very much it does appear to be corrected, I will keep the ideas for repair which you provided in memeory if I should ever need them again.

Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Glad that took care of it... make sure you run your anti-virus, and malware scans