Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

my Genuine Dell Studio XPS 435MT Tower will not turn on. It

Customer Question

my Genuine Dell Studio XPS 435MT Tower will not turn on. It has a yellow light on the motherboard that I do not recall seeing before. We had a power failure yesterday.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

Michelle :

Hi, this is Michelle and i will be assisting you

Michelle :

please try the below steps first

Michelle :

turn off computer..unplug power cord from back panel of tower

Michelle :

now hold down the power button on tower fro 10 seconds.

Michelle :

plug in power cord back in and turn on and check

Michelle :

let me know the status so that i may suggets further

Michelle :

let me know the color of the power light

JACUSTOMER-07kzdos7- :

that did not work. The power light on the power source is green. I have a yellow light on the motherboard though. I have changed power cords as well

Michelle :

ok..let me check

Michelle :

is the power light staedy green or flashing green

JACUSTOMER-07kzdos7- :

solid green

Michelle :

does the computer beep

JACUSTOMER-07kzdos7- :

nothing at all

Michelle :

ok

Michelle :

we would need to open system tower and check on few things

Michelle :

please unplug power cord..open the tower..locate the memory cards..they are the longest one in black slots with notches

JACUSTOMER-07kzdos7- :

its already open

JACUSTOMER-07kzdos7- :

now what?

Michelle :

take out the memory cards

Michelle :

with the memory cards out...plug in power cord and turn on and let me know if the system beeps or not

JACUSTOMER-07kzdos7- :

nothing

Michelle :

no beeps..is that right with memory out

JACUSTOMER-07kzdos7- :

no beeps all 6 chips out

Michelle :

ok

Michelle :

give me a moment

JACUSTOMER-07kzdos7- :

ok

Michelle :

thanks for your patience

JACUSTOMER-07kzdos7- :

what does the yellow light n the motherboard mean

Michelle :

as per my diagnosis its the motherboard that is faulting

Michelle :

aybe it has shorted due to the power failure

Michelle :

as when memory is out, the motherboard beeps indicating that there is no memory

Michelle :

it did not beep..so that means its not working and some component on it has failed

JACUSTOMER-07kzdos7- :

any idea how to find out which one

Michelle :

the mainboard would need to be replaced in such a case

Michelle :

components on motherboard do not get changed individually

Michelle :

its the entire board that needs to be replaced

JACUSTOMER-07kzdos7- :

but is was fine before the power failure. power failures happen all the time

Michelle :

yes...an improper shutdown can acuse componet failure

Michelle :

it may not happen the very first time but repeated improper shutdowns do affect the hardware

JACUSTOMER-07kzdos7- :

how do I find out which component

Michelle :

well it will not be possible for you to find out as this would involve testing eacha nd every component and as you canb easily see the mainboard has lots of things embedded on it

Michelle :

its a chip level testing

JACUSTOMER-07kzdos7- :

so my computer can not be fixed?

Michelle :

is it within warranty

JACUSTOMER-07kzdos7- :

no it is not

Michelle :

ok..well in that case, my advise would be to take a repair estimate cost from any local store and then decide if you would like to replace the board or go in for a new unit

Michelle :

let me know if you have any questions

JACUSTOMER-07kzdos7- :

that sucks thanks anyways

Michelle :

i understand..but hardware failures may happen anytime

Michelle :

"Please rate the chat with a happy smiley if the information you got from me was helpful; else in case the

above information was not helpful, please let me know so that i may assist you further on the issue"

JACUSTOMER-07kzdos7- :

can you ask around to see if others have any ideas as well

Michelle :

yes i have cross checked with dell support documentation on this as well and logically too the symptoms indicate it to be the motherboard

JACUSTOMER-07kzdos7- :

oh well

Michelle :

in acse of hardware fault we always cross check before informing about the fault

Michelle :

as i see you rated poorv service

Michelle :

lease let me know if you need further support as for a hardware fault i could only diagnose and suggets the faulty part

Michelle :

as its not possible for me to fix a motherboard remotely

Michelle :

let me know if you need any further assistance

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
please let me know if you need any further assistance